latest tor browser issue with live grid

bentham
Go to solution Solved by John Dow,

Yes, it is completely green (0 detections) in virustotal. If I check file reputation with ESET, the reputation bar is grey (no apparent bar) and the number of users is orange - approx 30% bar.

1 hour ago, John999 said:

The problem has disappeared with newer version 13.0.5

Many thanks for the heads up. After updating to 13.0.5, I can't work out if the update left my 13.0.1 tor.exe alone or reverted to it as it is still the same binary file.

EDIT - ok I downloaded the 13.0.5 installer and extracted tor.exe and it was a different file - not sure why the browser update process didn't fix this. Anyway the new tor.exe does fix the issue like you said so maybe there was something "suspicious" about the 13.0.4 release.

Edited by bentham

On 11/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, John999 said:

Unfortunately the problem with tor.exe detected as suspicious and moved into Quarantine has "reappeared" with version 13.0.5
Can someone investigate?

I'm not getting the issue after copying the updated file. It might be worth checking which version of tor.exe you have in case it didn't get updated (as in my post above).

Sizes of different versions (based on tor browser version):

• v13.0.1 - 8,543,744 bytes
  • v13.0.4 - 7,926,784 bytes (marked "suspicious")
  • v13.0.5 - 8,547,840 bytes

v13.0.4 - 7,926,784 bytes (marked "suspicious")
But I updated TorBrowser via the internal updater so I cannot explain why it shows that TorBrowser is updated, it says version 13.0.5 and, still tor.exe that I find in C:\......\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Tor is 13.0.4

PS
Updated using the proper installer in https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/13.0.5/
It seems OK now
Let's cross fingers. Edited by John999
added PS

35 minutes ago, John999 said:

I updated TorBrowser via the internal updater so I cannot explain why it shows that TorBrowser is updated, it says version 13.0.5 and, still tor.exe that I find in C:\......\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Tor is 13.0.4

Yes I had the same problem and had to extract the updated tor.exe from the installer -  I guess the torbrowser devs are having problems.

Edited by bentham
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, even for the new downloaded tor browser, it doesn't even finish the download. And for the new alpha version 13.5a2 when installing the scanning delete automaticaly tor.exe file.

Untitled.png

Edited by FlorinTarta

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update (13.0.7) has a "small" version of tor.exe again (7,927,296 bytes) - and like the previous small version, it is being marked as suspicious by ESET. Replacing it with tor.exe from 13.0.6 fixes it for now.

33 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I've downloaded tor-browser-windows-x86_64-portable-13.0.7 and extracted it

I did this and the file is different (8,548,352 bytes). Either tor have fixed the issue in the downloadable version or something is up with their updater. If it's the latter, that might explain FlorinTarta's issue above.