ERA 6.1 clients not updating from server

I installed:

ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.1.265.0
ESET Remote Administrator (Webconsole), Version 6.1.212.0

I configured a policy but my clients are not updating.

The documentation on ERA 6 doesn't mention this too, if you sell a new product, the documentation should be complete.

On server side I have:

SERVER SETTINGS > UPDATES > update server = [autoselect]

on the policy I have:

SETTINGS > UPDATE > [myProfile] > BASIC > UPDATE SERVER > hxxp://192.168.x.x ==> ip address of the ERA server

on the client I get:

File not found on server

• ESET Moderators

Hello verus, you did not mention which version of Endpoint you have installed on the client computers.

Anyway, ERA v6 does not offer the mirror feature in the same way as previous versions anymore.

You can either set the clients to update directly from ESET's servers, or you can create a mirror by another Endpoint product - not by ERA v6, though.

A new feature in ERA v6 is that if you installed the HTTP Proxy feature during ERA installation, it can cache the update files locally so that clients which are set to update from the ERA server's IP address don't have to download the files from our servers via the proxy again, but use the cached files instead, thus saving bandwidth. Was this was you meant in your initial question?

Hi thanks for the reply.

This is a new installation (just bought 200 licenses a few weeks ago) and the antivirus client is version 6.1.2109.0

This is exactly what I meant, I wanted the clients to update via the local server to limit internet traffic.

If I can do it with that http proxy, it's fine too, is there documentation about that ?

Will the clients also update when they are not connected in the network ? (when they work remotely)

Laptops and devices that leave your LAN, will not receive updates if you have the mentioned cache setup, or a mirror for that matter, as the Local IP of your server is what goes in the clients.

However for all the clients that leave the premise and are abroad, you can set a policy for those to update server = [autoselect] and when they leave or go offsite they will get updates from ESET servers.

When they return you can change their policy or settings back to the local server IP to begin receiving updates locally instead of leaving the dmz and going in/out as internet traffic.

Edited by Arakasi

With Endpoints it works like the same as if you did this with File Security.

See attached picture

I as well am still using version 5 and the mirror was created on several of my networks using the feature in ERA5.

post-1101-0-81569100-1419978301_thumb.png

Edited by Arakasi

how can I set eset enpoint av clients to updates from external eset update servers directly instead of internal server due to some error on server? Can it set like ver5 just key in user name and pw on each clients?

- Via the setup, I installed the APACHE HTTP PROXY during installation, is that the same as REMOTE ADMINISTRATOR PROXY in the install directory ?

- I try to install the proxy via the installer directory and I have to choose a SQL/MySQL server but the installation was already done with SQL express ? Then why do I need another SQL/MySQL server ??

Edited by verus

how can I set eset enpoint av clients to updates from external eset update servers directly instead of internal server due to some error on server? Can it set like ver5 just key in user name and pw on each clients?

Answer is yes. You can actually input the lic file and the username/password into a policy and all the clients will have the credentials for ESET entered into themselves and the setting for Choose best server, will allow the clients to go to ESET servers, hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN332

Hi,

via the installer directory

When you say this ... What exactly do you mean ?

These are the directions i am looking at :

Open ApacheHttp.zip and extract the files to C:\program files\apachehttpproxy

Do you get that prompt after "httpd.exe -k install -n Apachehttpproxy" from the command prompt ?

I would recommend, going to page 34 in the manual, and starting from there going down.

It even lists prerequisites, A Db server already installed and conf, etc

Foneil do we have a KB already for ERA 6 mirror replacement instructions by proxy if we lost it after verison 5 ?

Maybe Tomas can provide a breakdown or step by step.

Continue to check back. :)

Edited by Arakasi

I now installed mysql and in the x64\installers directory I install the Proxy6.1 package.

However, when I choose mysql, I get the message:

It is not possible to store big blocks of data in the database.

Please configure the database server first.

What do I have to do with that ?

OK, just found it... had to change my.ini

Edited by verus

One thing to add from the manual is that it recommends using ms sql but that seems to be only if large networks, how many clients will be used ?

express is recommended for less then 5000, also express is installed by default and is part of the install package.

Proxy installation - windows....... is the same as Remote Admin Proxy

I would assume that msi contains the apache http proxy inside.

I installed the apache proxy with the ERA server installation, which works fine now (our installation is 200 clients so not that much).

This ERA6 looks good but documentation is a little bit unclear sometimes and I hope that KB articles will get as good as they are for version 5 and hopefully policies etc to download.

• ESET Staff

What is the difference between the "apache http proxy" and "Proxy-6.1.265.0_x64.msi"

Hi Verus,

We are currently in the process of developing more comprehensive documentation for the HTTP Proxy and Proxy Server components, and plan to have it available for global launch in February. Thank you for your patience while we make this documentation ready.

With regards to your question about the two different proxy types, "proxy_X64.msi" refers to the ERA Proxy Server, which is used to distribute load to the ERA Server. "apache http proxy" is a separate component, which can be used to serve a similar role to a mirror server in ERA 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I now installed mysql and in the x64\installers directory I install the Proxy6.1 package.

@verus what did you change in your my.ini? Trying to track this down and the ESET error and my Google searches for "big blocks" and MySQL don't seem to turn up anything helpful.

@verus what did you change in your my.ini? Trying to track this down and the ESET error and my Google searches for "big blocks" and MySQL don't seem to turn up anything helpful.

For anyone else looking for this I found this in the documentation:

Q: How do I configure MySQL to accept large packet size?
A: Locate your MySQL configuration file (my.ini for Windows and my.cnf for Linux, exact location of the .ini file
might differ from one operating system to another), open this file and find the section [mysqld]. Add a new line
max_allowed_packet=33M (value must be at least 33M or greater).

• 6 months later...

I'm still getting "It is not possible to store big blocks of data in the database. Please configure the database server first." No difference it's All-in-one install or only Server install.
I'm trying to install clean version of ERA 6 x64 on
Windows 10 x64
MySQL server 5.6 x64
MySQL ODBC connector 5.3 x64
I've found my.ini under "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6". By documentation MySQL should read these settings first. I've added max_allowed_packet=33M under the [mysqld] tag. Also tried 60M 128M and restartet computer everytime. What else could be wrong?

[Edited]

It's the same error on Windows 7 x64.

Edited by technika

• 11 months later...