Windows firewall and ESS firewall both "on"?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I've been reading this thread:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/358-smart-security-firewall-issue-on-windows-8-pro-64/

I checked the Windows firewall advanced settings on my rig, running Windows 8, just out of curiosity.  I do, indeed, see that the settings are being managed by ESET.  However, it says my Windows firewall is "on".  

Why would the Windows firewall be "on" if ESET's firewall is running?  I thought only one firewall should be running at a time.  We're not noticing any problems with this configuration.  However, I am curious about this.  I'm not new to using 3rd party firewalls on Windows OS's, but I am new to Windows 8. 

I see my Windows 7 rig is the same as far as the Windows firewall is concerned.  Advanced settings, ESET is managing the settings, but Windows firewall is "on".  

I've set my ESET firewall to "automatic filtering mode with exceptions".  Right now, we're on a home network behind a hardware router with firewall.  

• Administrators
  • Solution

This is ok and according to MS specification / requirements. Only very specific communications should be handled by Windows Firewall in this configuration.

Guest Guest

well remember I have been forced to REINSTALL a very large system after having a serious problem where the only way to get a local ethernet conected was adding rules to the MS Firewall. Complete nonsense.

I think you guys should work more before saying NSS is Windows 8 compatible

OK, thanks Marcos.  (I don't need to know 'how' the watch is built, just how to use it correctly, so I won't ask for any more technical info on that. :)  I'm just glad to know things are set up properly.)

My Windows XP SP3 rig, also running ESS, does have the Windows firewall turned off.  I can't remember now if I manually did that when I installed ESS or if ESS did it.  I formerly had a very old version of Outpost firewall on this machine, and I had to manually turn off the Windows firewall when I installed it.  When I uninstalled Outpost, I did manually turn on the Windows firewall again while I was, for a short time, between security softwares as I uninstalled the security tools I had been using.  The Windows Security Center is happy with that arrangement.  

Edited by Near_Far

• 2 weeks later...

well remember I have been forced to REINSTALL a very large system after having a serious problem where the only way to get a local ethernet conected was adding rules to the MS Firewall. Complete nonsense.

I think you guys should work more before saying NSS is Windows 8 compatible

If it is according to MS specifications that only specific communication is handled by Windows Firewall and that it should not be disabled for those communication types, how can you imply that ESS is NOT Windows 8 compatible. You made an incorrect assumption that the Windows Firewall should be completely disabled, which led to another error in using the removal tool, which then led to reinstalling your system. It seems as though you are looking for someone else to blame for your troubles.

I have been running ESS on a clean install of Windows 8 for a long time with no problems.