How do I get the right version for xp home?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I download (pick) the windows option, get eset nod32, OTHER try I get eset smart security, neither are for my OS. Both tries you get speclean request, no virus detected.

How do I get the right version?

I don't have this problem on my other computer running  win7 without updates.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Do you have Windows XP with service pack 3 installed? If not, you should install it to patch at least some vulnerabilities that SP3 addresses. Installing SP3 will also enable you to install EAV/ESS v8.

I rechecking on sp3 after my last post, found info on the needed patch before downloading sp3. I got that done, started download from the same site. Seen rugk's post, canceled sp3, opened MS instead, now in progress. See if the patch (other site) is legit, looking like an hour or so. Thanks rugk.

Well normally you do not need any patch before downloading SP3.

Just make sure you have Windows updates enabled.

Edited by rugk

BIG thank you!

Your download link worked, now have xp home sp3. I got the sp3 patch from Softwarepatch.com. Hope it is just KB953356 and not more spooks. I have tried sp3 from MS many times before, so the patch rings true, appears to be the same number as in your first (of the 2) links you posted above.

I probably have spooks in both machines from dialup service insecurity. Less than a month now on Bell.ca service. I have discs for both computers, win7 is extreme from a university, need to buy the code. Want to get Ubunto instead but find that difficult as the instructions are in developer jargon. Other is factory disc from 1996 or so. Can I burn the image of what I have now, then start over by loading the old factory disc, then install all the good things from the burned copy?

Well softwarepatch.com looks quite good...

And I was wrong there is a patch and this is the official download: hxxp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23751

As described there it may be needed when you have a non-Intel processor.

However now you have SP3. Has the installation of ESS worked?

And I don't understand the thing with Ubuntu...

So you have an XP and an Win7 PC.

And you want to install Ubuntu - I think you mean Ubuntu.

So maybe the Wikipedia article will help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29#Installation

Anyway just FYI there is a version of NOD32 for Linux too and AFAIK - if you really want to change - you will be able to use the Linux version with the same username/password you actually use for the Windows version, so you can take ESET with you. ;)

Edited by rugk