ESET and Facebook - not a good idea

hinod

Last month ESET announced a deal with Facebook. I'm wondering if that is a good idea.

ESET is doing a rather good job in cyber security.

Facebook on the other hand is 'THE' example of not doing very much regarding privacy; and protecting privacy is main issue in cyber security.

So ESET is helping Facebook securely trashing your privacy ....

I think you mean this, don't you?

ESET joins Facebook to offer free security service for all users

ESET only offers the malware scanner in Facebook and nothing else.

This has nothing to do with privacy.

And I think it's always great to reduce the number of malicious files and links - wherever they appear.

And on Facebook there appear many...

And of course - also if you're not a Facebook user - you can use the free Online scanner at the ESET website at any time you want.

Edited by rugk

It doesn't affect the ESET products. I am happy for all Facebook users that now takes advantage of this.

But I am also happy and very thankful as long as everything connected to "social media" in one way or the other stays out of ESET software. Since it doesn't belong in any security product, but I think ESET knows that already. :)

Edited by SweX

The ESET FB app has already helped like 5 personal friends remove bad url links with drive bys.

I get approached everyday, and thanked, for MY OWN ESET FB APP, when they dont even have it.

Imagined if more followed through.

I didnt read the posts here, i am responding from the title.

Good day

• 3 weeks later...

Recently there was published an nice kb article about this Facebook scanner - so that's the reason I want to "wake up" this thread.
There you see instructions how to clean the PC with the ESET Facebook Online Scanner.

Why does Facebook require that I scan my computer with ESET?

Edited by rugk

I first came across this when the KB article was published. My initial reaction is that the behaviour and design of the alerts certainly looks like it is a classic "computer security" scam, the exact sort of thing I try to educate my customers to avoid. IMO if Facebook want to reduce click fraud by its users, it should start holding them according to its ToS, and suspending or terminating their accounts. Once enough users get their accounts restricted, maybe the message will get through that people need to take responsibility for their computer security.

OTOH, anti-virus solutions - even excellent ones like Eset - are not perfect. A lot of Facebook users are not computer experts, nor are they expected to be. It's a difficult problem to address. Maybe anti-virus solutions need to be able to provide a cryptographically-generated token, which is stamped with the product, database version, scan targets and results, and supply it to a requesting web site. If the token suggests a) the anti-virus system is working and current and b) the device is clean, then the web site permits the user to login (or removes a previous suspension). This way, web sites suffering from abuse by their users can have another method of helping to reduce this problem and the user can be made more aware of a problem which may affect them.

• 3 months later...

Today as i logged in on facebook I received the "Your Computer Needs to Be Cleaned" message and the request to download and install ESET Online Scanner. My first thought was, that it was scareware and i decided not to install it. So I checked my computer with some other anti-malware programs. My computer was clean, but i still cannot get into facebook account anymore. Every time i get this message. However my wife can login on the same computer without any problems. Next thing i checked facebook with my second computer and i also get the warning there. So this warning is totally absurd but I'm forced to install the ESET scanner or create a new facebook profile. How would you call it, if a company forces you to install their software and blocks your social-network account if you don't?

• ESET Moderators

ESET announced a partnership with Facebook (December 2014) to combat malware and the ESET scanning technology is integrated directly into the existing detection and prevention systems of Facebook.

From the announcement:

Here's how it works: if the device you're using to access our services is behaving suspiciously and shows signs of a possible malware infection, a message will appear offering you an anti-malware scan for your device.

and

You can choose to skip the malware removal process and decline to download the recommended scanner. If you skip removing the malware, you may be prompted again later.

Also see Why does Facebook require that I scan my computer with ESET? as posted above.

@JK123

It's not ESET who is forcing you. It's Facebook. They only use ESETs engine and want to prevent malware from spreading. This is the reason why your Facebook profile was locked.

And BTW you only have to use the Online scanner. You're not required to download an ESET trail or something like this. (However the online scanner may - if it's not used with Internet Explorer - require you to download a small "installer" that's right)

More information and instructions here: Why does Facebook require that I scan my computer with ESET?

However the fact that another person can login to Facebook without this message on the same device is quite strange. (Or maybe were there posted malicious links with your profile?)

But anyway - what was the result of the scan?

@all

For what it's worth also another information about this topic generally: Because of this integration in Facebook ESET discontinued the ESET Social Media Scanner for Facebook. You can read this e.g. here at question 9 or here.

So actually the Social Media Scanner is only available for Twitter anymore.

Edit: According to foneil you can skip the online scanning process. But in the KB article I linked it states the following as an issue:

• Facebook has locked access to your account until you perform a scan
Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Yes rugk, thanks for pointing out that discrepancy regarding access to Facebook when a threat is found. I will have to find out if/when you are locked out versus if/when you can skip and continue. 

Thank you for your answers. In my case there is no way to skip the check. About spreading something with my account, another strange fact is that i have access to my profile on the phone, so its not totally blocked, only the access from windows on my computers (Firefox and IE on Win 7 and 8, also in privacy mode).

I understand that facebook decides how to handle my account in this case, but according to the topic <ESET and Facebook - not a good idea> I think it makes look ESET bad too. My first impression was that this scanner is malware itself or a company with a very aggressive marketing: Use our product or say goodbye to your social contacts. I'm even forced to agree to a licence agreement from eset that is only available in english and that probably half of facebook users wouldn't understand entirely.

I'm teaching people about privacy and security and for me this message in facebook is totally unacceptable. User proactive services brought this up earlier too. Of course you don't trust a website who tells you that your computer is infected. If you are in doubt, use reliable software to check, but never ever download the software that is offered with the infection message. There is even an instruction to assign authorizations if asked. I hope nobody is so careless following this instructions without some research.

Even if I know more about ESET now, as a matter of principle i will not use this scanner and I want to find out if there is a another way to get into my account again. I would be great if someone could tell me a way to get into discussion with facebook about this topic. Of course i tried to contact them through the problem report form and with personal message in their profile, but as expected there was no response yet.

Edit: After 1,5 days the message is gone and i have full access.

Edited by JK123

Valid arguments indeed. However ESET is a reputable company and it's sad that you have to meet it this way.

But the goal of ESET and Facebook is also understandable. There are many malicious links shared on Facebook and they wanted to fight against them.

“Our goal is to offer our users the right technology to improve their experience of our services and better protect their devices. ESET Online Scanner for Facebook will significantly decrease the number of malicious links from among the trillions of clicks that take place every day on Facebook,” said Chetan Gowda, Software engineer at Facebook.

hxxp://www.eset.com/int/about/press/articles/products/article/eset-joins-facebook-to-offer-free-security-service-for-all-users/

And to do this Facebook also partnered with two other security companies. (Aren't they offered for scanning too?) And BTW of this all I would be more concerned about your device or Facebook account.

As it's told in the same article "Facebook checks for signs of any suspicious behavior – like sending spam messages or infected links to people’s friends".

So basically you can of course use any antivirus software to scan your PC (or the ESET online scanner here - okay there shouldn't be any major difference to the ESET online scanner on Facebook). Additionally I would suggest you to change your password.

More information: Facebook launches third free anti-virus scanner

Edited by rugk

Access comes and goes ... I start to think that Facebook is no beta-testing for the malware recognition and/or the scanner integration.

@rugk: There is no other software to choose from, only ESET. I don't think that there is anything malicious on my computer. After the first alert I checked the computer with two different anti-spyware and anti-adware software and I use permanent anti-virus software. The alert also shows up on my second computer and with different browsers, but it doesn't happen with other facebook accounts or with the browser on my mobile device. I also can't find any hints that there is something wrong with my Facebook account. No activities are logged and none of my friends complained about getting suspicious messages or links from my account. But now that i have access again I changed my password and we'll see if the problem comes back.

Okay, so let's see how it works. If it should start again I can only suggest you to contact Facebook.

The problem did come back. But it has nothing to do with the system I'm using. It even appeared at work. So I decided to accept the provided scan with ESET there. As it started scanning, i got access to Facebook instantly. The message was like you can continue using Facebook and we'll send a message about the results later. The result was that <a variant of Win32/Systweak.A potentially unwanted application> was found, but that cannot have anything to do with my problem. It was not even my computer ;-) So I think this whole malware-protection on Facebook needs some more development. I'm still curious what caused the false alarm on my account but I didn't get any answers from Facebook.

Thank you for your support. Maybe I will try ESET software another time.

About Win32/Systweak.A - yes this has surely nothing to do with the Facebook block.

Just some information about this detection anyway: It's detected as PUA, which is an optional detection, so it can be activated and deactivated by the user. As you can read in the KB article I linked a PUA isn't something malicious, but it may be more or less annoying or something similar - so basically it is potentially unwanted as the name suggests.

About the specific detection it could be part of WinZip which includes some (again not surprising according to the detection name) system tweak tools. There were already a few topics about it:

However as the detection name is a bit different it may also be another software.

• 1 month later...

Today, 07th July 2015 I found my account disabled as Facebook was imposing me to use the ESET online scan as you were supposing there was a maleware on my PC. 
I did scan my PC with ESET and it has found two supposed maleware (win32/IntsallCoreZH), that has been removed.
In spite of that I still can’t access my Account, while if, by using the same PC, I try to access with another account it works properly and let me in.

There is NO SUPPORT for this in Facebook, no way to get support if I don’t access that of course I can’t do as you don’t let me in, and anyway there is no support at all for this ESET issue.

I find this awful.

• 1 month later...

hi, guys i have been facing similar issue as Paola. Facebook suggested me to download eset. And i downloaded and try to run. But it doesnt work at all. It doesnt run to clean my facebook account as well as i m not able to log in to my account. Whenerver i try to log in facebook says clean your pc with eset and dowload it. when i again download and again it doesnt work over and over again. It is been 24 hours already i still cant log in into my fb account. Help me guys

Today, 07th July 2015 I found my account disabled as Facebook was imposing me to use the ESET online scan as you were supposing there was a maleware on my PC. 

I did scan my PC with ESET and it has found two supposed maleware (win32/IntsallCoreZH), that has been removed.

In spite of that I still can’t access my Account, while if, by using the same PC, I try to access with another account it works properly and let me in.

There is NO SUPPORT for this in Facebook, no way to get support if I don’t access that of course I can’t do as you don’t let me in, and anyway there is no support at all for this ESET issue.

I find this awful.

anybody please answer her question, i have some problem, eset asking download and run. i downloaded but it doesnt run basically not working and i cant access to my account. everytime when i log in it just shows download eset and there is no other option. it is been already 1 day i cant log in and eset doenst run. stucking in between

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello

Really worry when first saw a message that I had malware infection and I had to dowload Eset product in order to clean my facebook infested account playing Farm Ville 2. Sorry but I really can't understand how the apps games from facebook are infecting facebook accounts and why I must add another antivirus program in my computer.

If you read the following article:

hxxp://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/kaspersky-and-eset-go-head-to-head.html

You can see that both programs are equal but I doudt that are compatible also. So I really do not care, as I am a customer and you must respect me,  about the advertising of your program which in the past I have used for several years and in the end I have changed it because it was a bit less for me but I do care about you forcing people to use your program.

Please have a bit respect about all the potential customers out there. At least to me your reputations suffers from such behavior. As this is just my personal view I am not in the mood right now after this incident to argue with any one about my opinion which you Eset and facebook just created.

Thanks a lot

Kaspersky and Eset Go Head to Head

Edit 1: Sorry for comming back on this topic but after the results of your scanning (not sure how innocent is). First it found wrong place living # country="United States" which is wrong, plus why anyone checks where people live?. Second the only thing that it did was to remove:

sh=25F55CEF41EA07418182EFBD11080EE89D141CDC ft=1 fh=00000000013e3980 vn="a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.AI potentially unwanted application (deleted)" ac=C fn="C:\Users\user\Documents\ageofconan-en.exe"
sh=0957EF6DF352CF71417A5B83AC179D40CF5BCBCD ft=1 fh=00000000000731f0 vn="a variant of Win32/DownloadGuide.A potentially unwanted application (cleaned by deleting)" ac=C fn="C:\Users\user\Documents\download_audiograbber.exe"
sh=9C05CE4560DA87905BBCA2F943548FB380EC8794 ft=1 fh=00000000000731f8 vn="a variant of Win32/DownloadGuide.A potentially unwanted application (cleaned by deleting)" ac=C fn="C:\Users\user\Documents\download_audiograbber_mp3_plugin.exe"
sh=E4E641BA3C7FCA23D36ABF8D3FE3E10285EE7C7A ft=1 fh=0000000004be5148 vn="Win32/DownloadAdmin.G potentially unwanted application,Win32/DownloadAdmin.H potentially unwanted

Removing applications ? are we serious? who gave you the right, who has authorized you to use a tool and remove applications from other people pcs? perhaps I haven't used them for many years or perhaps are old but if I want something to remove it I will remove it not your tool and company.
Edited by John Catris

• 3 months later...

yes.. eset and facebook is spam.. looks like another cpa / affiliate marketing offer

what do you want with this agreement, now i can't login to my facebook account

i can't ask to facebook support for this trouble..

your marketing strategy is really bad

sorry for my bad english 

• ESET Moderators

yes.. eset and facebook is spam.. looks like another cpa / affiliate marketing offer

what do you want with this agreement, now i can't login to my facebook account

i can't ask to facebook support for this trouble..

your marketing strategy is really bad

sorry for my bad english

Hello, what problem do you have with logging into your Facebook account?

this morning i found my account been blocked because of malware and forced to download your product. run various malware software but found nothing, it's cleaner than your stinkin brain.

registered to this forum only to say that i won't download your product anymore. i used it once, it's so bad that i have to reinstall my windows clean. not anymore.

now if you want to prevent me from going to my facebook account then so be it. i'll also leave facebook. bye.