What does a real cyber security command centre look like?

rugk

Very thanks to @esetglobal for posting this. And of course also thanks to International Business Times (IB Times)...

Debunking the Hollywood hacker myth: Inside a real cyber-security command centre
www.ibtimes.co.uk

The depiction of hackers and cyber-attack in Hollywood films is typically so far removed from what really happens as to border on the farcical.

Everything from Jurassic Park to Swordfish, Die Hard 4.0, and the eponymous Hackers, all suggest that cyber-attacks take place in real time, can be tracked, visualised and more importantly stopped as fast as they've happened.

Even the most gullible film fan surely knows that this is not what happens in real life, but the question is, what does really happen in real life.

To find out I visited the command centre of Eset, one of the world's largest cyber-security companies, located on the River Danube overlooking the old town of Bratislava in Slovakia.

So have a look into it... :)

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Haha, definitely a journalistic perspective of the place (yes, I've been there). Nice write up, thanks for posting here rugk. 

Officially, Eset occupies floors 16, 17, 18 and 19 of the Aupark Tower but we were told it also occupies a 20th floor that appears to be so secret it's not even listed on the building's lifts.

Of course it's not listed in the elevator, its the secret floor where they test out new technologies.

It's not that hard to figure out that if you want to get there you have to use a parachute and land on the roof, then crawl through a secret air vent, then open the door on the right with an "e" on it and

say the secret password ************ to the guard to gain access . Yep that's how it is.

Edited by SweX

Officially, Eset occupies floors 16, 17, 18 and 19 of the Aupark Tower but we were told it also occupies a 20th floor that appears to be so secret it's not even listed on the building's lifts.

Of course it's not listed in the elevator, its the secret floor where they test out new technologies.

It's not that hard to figure out that if you want to get there you have to use a parachute and land on the roof, then crawl through a secret air vent, then open the door on the right with an "e" on it and

say the secret password ************ to the guard to gain access . Yep that's how it is.

Oh really?  I just slip the Janitor about 242.66 Slovakian Koruna ($10 USD) and I'm in! :P

• ESET Moderators

Oh really?  I just slip the Janitor about 242.66 Slovakian Koruna ($10 USD) and I'm in! :P

Well, the janitor would have a hard time making any use of that cash, since we adopted Euro in 2009 and the Slovak Koruna can now only be exchanged in the NBS (National Bank of Slovakia) ;)

Well, the janitor would have a hard time making any use of that cash, since we adopted Euro in 2009 and the Slovak Koruna can now only be exchanged in the NBS (National Bank of Slovakia) ;)

Maybe somebody should tell him... :P (Thanks TomasP...I learned something new today! :D)

Edited by TomFace

Haha yeah that's right, even if I live on this side of the pond unlike Tomface it didn't cross my mind that Slovakia now use the Euro, ah well I can't remember everything :D  We still don't have the Euro in Sweden and I hope we never get it either. I like our Krona.  ;)