ESET Fails to launch on start-up, freezes explorer.exe when launched manually

Ozuro

Hi folks, I recently picked up a year subscription to ESET Antivirus and it was running fine up until a couple of days ago.

As the title says, ESET now fails to launch on start-up (it is set to launch on start-up) and when manually launched it will freeze whichever explorer.exe window I try to launch it from. For example, if launched from the start menu the start menu will freeze. When I say freeze I mean that I can't launch any other program from the menu (clicking on applications does nothing) and I cannot search for programs through the start menu (though strangely the blinking text cursor still functions within the search box). Similarly, if I try to launch ESET from within its Program Files folder, the entire window will freeze and ESET will fail to launch.

I have already tried to troubleshoot a couple different things. ESET's repair function fails (I cannot remember the error it gives, I will write it down when I next try re-installing). Uninstalling and re-installing ESET works however once the computer is fully shut off it will, again, fail to launch on start-up or manually. Launching in safe mode allows ESET to run a scan, however I cannot figure out how to start the GUI in safe mode. My only options when launching it are to perform a scan.

Some information about my system:

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64 bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz

16.0 GB RAM

Other security software installed on my PC: 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium Edition

CCleaner Professional

Hitman Pro

One other thing. I'm not sure if it's related to or helpful in resolution of the issue but after failing to launch ESET and when restarting my computer, an error pops up with the following:

cmd.exe Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click ok to close the application.

Anyways I think that's about all I can think of to start off. Please let me know if you need any more information on my end to help me in resolving this issue. Thanks!