Managing clients from multiple ERA servers and Upgrade version 4.x to 5.x

Go to solution Solved by Arakasi,

Hello,

I am very new to the ESET management and deployment.  

I have two questions with respect to the ERA Server.

Question 1: 

I have deployed two ERA servers in two locations (geographically two locations) and configured Replication between them.  I have designated one server as Primary and other one as Member.  Now, I am able to see both the ERA servers from the Primary Server console and clients of both ERA servers in the Primary Server as well.  This is fine till this point.

Now actually my question : If my users are travelling from one location from another location will the ESET Nod 32 Antivirus client installed on their laptops choose the Primary server automatically based on the location or they will be configured with one Primary server as fixed irrespective of the location?

Question 2:

I have a old ERA server in a different environment running on 4.x.  It has almost 100+ clients having ESET NOD 32 Anti Virus Business Edition running on them.

Now I need to upgrade this ERA server to 5.x.  Will it impact the existing clients?  I came across the forum for this question stating that when I upgrade all the client connections will be terminated.  Also, I need to migrate the policy from 4.x to 5.x.  But would like to get some more inputs on this like is there any tool from ESET that will do all the migration at the time or after the Version upgrade etc.,

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Hello,

1, A client will first attempt to connect to the primary ERA server. Only if this fails, it will attempt to connect to the secondary server.

2, First of all, using v4 is not recommended as it doesn't support Live Grid and thus doesn't protect users from new borne threats as good as Endpoint with LG enabled. For instructions how to upgrade to a newer version of ERA, please refer to this KB article: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2683.

I'd like to mention that a brand new ERA controlled via a web console from your browser is going to be introduced soon along with a new license management system as well as Endpoint v6 products featuring all protection mechanisms, such as Live Grid, Advanced Memory Scanner, Exploit Blocker and Botnet protection (EES only) that significantly help to protect computers from getting infected.

Hello Marcos,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion on the version upgrade.

It brings me two other questions :)

If I plan to install ERA version 5.x on a new server as a fresh clean install, is it possible for me to get the policies/settings from the old server 4.x???

If this is the case then how can I point the clients to the new server?  Do I need to go individual clients and configure the primary server manually or is there a way to do it from the ERA console itself?

Thank You

• Solution

Hello

If I plan to install ERA version 5.x on a new server as a fresh clean install, is it possible for me to get the policies/settings from the old server 4.x???

Yes

how can I point the clients to the new server?  Do I need to go individual clients and configure the primary server manually or is there a way to do it from the ERA console itself?

You change the current policy to point to the new one, which in turn causes the policy on the new server to take effect on your clients.

Once your clients check in to the old server, and receive a new ip/hostname for the ERA server, on the next go around they will look at the new server.

On your version 4, if you click on Tools, then configuration editor, you can select all objects with Edit > Mark All , then go to File > Export marked to.

This way you can export and import the policy into the new server. Just keep in mind, do not decommission your old server's era console and policy without first setting up the new one, and migrating your endpoints to it through policy, or you may be stuck with endpoints that have no server to look to, thus requiring a manual installation of the endpoint or a new push installation with configuration already set to point to the new server.

Hope this helps and makes sense. :)

Edited by Arakasi

Hello Arakasi,

Thank you very much for the reply and explanation.  Yours and Marcos's reply are very useful to me.

I will go ahead and setup a new server and install latest ERA on that and will go ahead with Export/Import of the policies/settings as you mentioned.

Thank You

Note to Moderators/Admins:  I will keep this thread open for one more day to post any issues/queries in case if I face any while policy migration or any other issues at the time of migration from 4.x to 5.x.  Then I will mark this thread as "Solved".  Thank You.

Edited by Kupierbelt

Hello Arakasi,

Thank you very much for the reply and explanation.  Yours and Marcos's reply are very useful to me.

I will go ahead and setup a new server and install latest ERA on that and will go ahead with Export/Import of the policies/settings as you mentioned.

Thank You

Note to Moderators/Admins:  I will keep this thread open for one more day to post any issues/queries in case if I face any while policy migration or any other issues at the time of migration from 4.x to 5.x.  Then I will mark this thread as "Solved".  Thank You.

Good deal, dont forget to change the ERA ip or hostname and port to the new in your policy.

Hello Arakasi/Marcos/Team,

Now, I have a question on the ESET profile:  In the existing 4.x version I have a live profile for the clients but that is Windows based.  Now, I need to create a profile for Mac Computers.  

Could you please help me on how can I create a new profile based on the current (windows based) or should I create it afresh from the scratch for the Mac?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank You

Hello Arakasi,

Yes, I am referring to the policy.  I am sorry if I expressed the terms incorrectly.

My scenario, I am already having a policy (mainly windows centric) which is in 4.x version and applied to 100+ clients.  Now, I want to make a new policy for Macs.

My Question is : Will I be able to clone the existing windows centric policy and then make changes according to the MAC and apply exclusively for MACs, or Should I create a new policy for MAC from the scratch.

Thank You

A moderator like marcos will know better than me, however.

i would create a new policy, containing only mac rules and changes;

then assign that one to your macs only.

Team,

I wanted to select two posts (one from Marcos and one from Arakasi) as the best answers.  But I am able to select one alone.

But the credit goes to both of them for sure.

Thanks Marcos and Arakasi for your suggestions.

Thank You