Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

Go to solution Solved by JeffreyH,

Can anyone help i'm getting this error when installing the latest version “Overlapped I/O operation is in progress” , I tried uninstalling the KB2918614 update as well as installing the KB300988 hotfix but i'm still getting the error. I was able to get the KB300988 hotfix to install fine but i still cannot install a msi package. I still get the overlapped error.

I even tried creating a new windows profile but that didn't help either

I do have update
KB3008627 installed , i also tried removing that update and tried installing as well as reinstalling that update and installing. That didn't help either. Same error every time.

• ESET Moderators

It looks like you're on the right track to fix the issue, but can you verify that you've performed the steps as we instruct in the following ESET Knowledgebase article:

Installation of ESET products fails with error “Overlapped I/O operation is in progress” 

p.s. Regardless, can you let us know if you saw that KB article and if not, whether you searched for that error in the ESET Knowledgebase prior to asking your question.

• Former ESET Employees

Hello,

My name is Jeff I work with ESET Tech Support.

I have ran into this issue a few times and was able to fix it by implementing the following steps:

- Go to start, and in the search bar, type Run. Next select Run and this should bring up the Run Box. 

- Next, drag your ESET install file into the run box.  It will convert it to the path that it is stored on eg: C:\User1\Desktop\eavh_nt64_enu.msi

- Once you have your path to the install file in the run box, press space then enter /lvx* install.log

- So what you will have in the run box, for example, is C:\User1\Desktop\eavh_nt64_enu.msi /lvx* install.log

- Press the OK button and the Install should then execute and finish normally.

Thus far, adding this switch has resolved the Overlapped I/O in progress error when I have used it.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you for choosing ESET Security Products,

Jeffrey
ESET Business Support

North America

AVN, thanks for trying the KB first. Your feedback on the success or failure of Jeffrey's steps above will help us update our KB content. 

Hello,

My name is Jeff I work with ESET Tech Support.

I have ran into this issue a few times and was able to fix it by implementing the following steps:

- Go to start, and in the search bar, type Run. Next select Run and this should bring up the Run Box. 

- Next, drag your ESET install file into the run box.  It will convert it to the path that it is stored on eg: C:\User1\Desktop\eavh_nt64_enu.msi

- Once you have your path to the install file in the run box, press space then enter /lvx* install.log

- So what you will have in the run box, for example, is C:\User1\Desktop\eavh_nt64_enu.msi /lvx* install.log

- Press the OK button and the Install should then execute and finish normally.

Thus far, adding this switch has resolved the Overlapped I/O in progress error when I have used it.

Thank you for choosing ESET Security Products,

Jeffrey

ESET Business Support

North America

AVN, thanks for trying the KB first. Your feedback on the success or failure of Jeffrey's steps above will help us update our KB content. 

This did NOT fix the issue for me.

I still get the same error.

Here is the contents of the log file.

pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nd0vhjqN

3 things stand out to me.

MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:43:440]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package --> 'C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi' against software restriction policyMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:43:440]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi has a digital signatureMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:44:697]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi is permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.

and

Info 2898.For DlgStdFont textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set, of 13 pixels height.Info 2898.For UiFont_Bigger textstyle, the system created a 'Verdana' font, in 1 character set, of 20 pixels height.DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BottomLine on dialog PrepareDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixelsThe installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: PrepareDlg, BottomLine, to the rightAction ended 20:43:46: PrepareDlg. Return value 1.

Also

=== Logging stopped: 12/8/2014 20:51:43 ===MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Note: 1: 1707 MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Product: ESET Smart Security -- Installation completed successfully.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: ESET Smart Security. Product Version: 8.0.301.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: ESET, spol s r. o.. Installation success or error status: 0.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:650]: Grabbed execution mutex.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:650]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any existMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:684]: MainEngineThread is returning 0=== Verbose logging stopped: 12/8/2014  20:51:43 ===

3 things stand out to me.

MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:43:440]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package --> 'C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi' against software restriction policyMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:43:440]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi has a digital signatureMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:43:44:697]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Users\Andrea\Downloads\ess_nt32_ENU.msi is permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.

and

Info 2898.For DlgStdFont textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set, of 13 pixels height.Info 2898.For UiFont_Bigger textstyle, the system created a 'Verdana' font, in 1 character set, of 20 pixels height.DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BottomLine on dialog PrepareDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixelsThe installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: PrepareDlg, BottomLine, to the rightAction ended 20:43:46: PrepareDlg. Return value 1.

Also

=== Logging stopped: 12/8/2014 20:51:43 ===MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Note: 1: 1707 MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Product: ESET Smart Security -- Installation completed successfully.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:646]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: ESET Smart Security. Product Version: 8.0.301.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: ESET, spol s r. o.. Installation success or error status: 0.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:650]: Grabbed execution mutex.MSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:650]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any existMSI (c) (90:A8) [20:51:43:684]: MainEngineThread is returning 0=== Verbose logging stopped: 12/8/2014  20:51:43 ===

What 3 things exactly stand out there ?

According to this article hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2918614

You could try a manual fix with the registry.

Let us know if this helps.

I will try this but i'm doubtful it will help.

Just as suspected it didn't help. I'm still getting the same error.
note: i also made sure to reboot after making the registry modifications

Log file - pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Mjg9guHh

key used - {8DCE36CF-D28D-40B7-9C09-102FD0280BE0}

Also tried key - {2E7EB14E-25A1-4A67-9EA6-C351CCD44990}
And got the same result.

Just to be clear yet again, I'm still getting the same error nothing has helped or has even narrowed down for me what the problem is.

Edited by AVN

• Former ESET Employees
  • Solution

Hello AVN,

I apologize that this error is so consistent.  We have also been having a rough time with this particular issue here in technical support as well.

I notice that you are installing Smart Security, on one occasion I was able to get past this issue by using the live installer online rather than implementing the offline MSI install file.

Have you tried the live installer already?  If not, please try the Live Online installer located here: 

www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/5/#online

- Ensure that the live installer option on the right is in Bold and select download.

Thank you,

Jeffrey

ESET North America

Edited by JeffreyH

• Former ESET Employees

Customer responded that the final step resolved the issue.

Jeffrey

ESET North America

Edited by JeffreyH

• 10 months later...