ESET Rootkit Detector for Mac Question

• Most Valued Members

Hello,

Last year in September a beta version of ESET Rootkit Detector for Mac was released and I was wondering what will happen to it, as it still only supports up to OS X 10.8 (we're now up to 10.10) and would like to try it out. I was also wondering if this rootkit detector will be integrated into Cyber Security (and/or Pro) in the future?

Hello Planet,

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a need to integrate ERD into the ECS products as they have rootkit detection and protection built in. Doing a on-demand scan with ECS/ECSP should do the same(and also detect more than rootkits of course) as doing a scan with ERD. I assume ERD is mainly for non ESET users that want to make a scan on their Mac to see if they are infected. 

• Most Valued Members

Hello Planet,

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a need to integrate ERD into the ECS products as they have rootkit detection and protection built in. Doing a on-demand scan with ECS/ECSP should do the same(and also detect more than rootkits of course) as doing a scan with ERD. I assume ERD is mainly for non ESET users that want to make a scan on their Mac to see if they are infected. 

Hi SweX, ah yes you're right!  :rolleyes: Should've looked at the user guide more closely.

[...] ESET Cyber Security Pro are capable of proactively eliminating infiltration by viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits and other Internet-borne attacks without hindering system performance.

But that means the non ESET users can't really use the detector as it doesn't support Mavericks and now Yosemite, and is still in a beta state - will this detector be worked on at some point in the future or was it just an experiment or side-project?

Either way, to know that ECSP is protecting me already is great. Even if I repeat myself now and in the future, ESET Cyber Security Pro has got to be the best security product available for Mac OS X.  :D

Haha right :D 

But Yes I agree with you, if they have it available for download then it should be kept updated to stay compatible and not lag two OS's behind. Because not everyone checks OS requirements before downloading they simply take OS support for granted.

It is a very good product, but we have those little issue that you report about that needs to be sorted before it is up there with the Win equivalent standards  ;)

• 3 weeks later...