BSOD after installing November 2014 update rollup for Windows 8.1

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

After installing the November 2014 update rollup for Windows (hxxp://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3000850/en-us) Windows starts to BSOD on boot. Removing ESET Smart Security 8 or the November 2014 rollup fixes the issue.

I have tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 and installed all updates. The computer works fine until I install Smart Security 8.  Everything is works until the first reboot and then the BSOD on boot starts again. Removing either Smart Security 8 or the November 2014 rollup will fix the issue.

My system:

Lenovo Thinkpad W520 set to UEFI only

Windows 8.1 x64 (with all updates) and bitlocker on all disks

Smart Security 8.0.304.0

• Administrators

Please compress the memory dump from the crash (probably the file c:\windows\memory.dmp), upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

I'm using NOD32 8.0.103.0 and I'm also having serious problems with KB3000850. After downloading and installing I'm asked to reboot and, during the reboot process, the final stage of configuring the update fails at 99%, followed by Windows 8.1.1 (64-bit) backing out all the changes.

I've no idea if the problem is NOD32 related but you are not the only one having difficulties with this massive update. I'll be interested in any light ESET can throw on it. I understand that Avast users have had major problems.

• Administrators

From the dumps we've received it seems that the problem is caused by Nvidia drivers that exhaust stack pages. A workaround will be implemented soon to prevent the bug from manifesting.

Hi,

we have the same Problems with BSOD+Windows 8.1+KB3000850+ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5-0-2237-0+Nvidia Quadro K600. Is there any solution or workaround?

Edited by Andreas H.

I can confirm the issue. Having the same problem on a LENOVO ThinkPad W530 with BIOS version 2.60 and NVIDIA Quadro K1000M using the NVIDIA Quadro 341.21 driver and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0.304.0. Reverting to a snapshot has fixed the issue for me for now. Please inform me when a fix or workaround is available.

• Administrators
  • Solution

I can confirm the issue. Having the same problem on a LENOVO ThinkPad W530 with BIOS version 2.60 and NVIDIA Quadro K1000M using the NVIDIA Quadro 341.21 driver and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0.304.0. Reverting to a snapshot has fixed the issue for me for now. Please inform me when a fix or workaround is available.

Please enable pre-release updates so that Anti-Stealth module v1067 is installed. It contains a workaround for a bug in Nvidia drivers causing stack pages exhaustion.

Hello,

how can I activate the "pre-release updates" in the German Version of "ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5"? I tried the "Testmodus" in the Update-Options but I didn't get the "Anti-Stealth module v1067" delivered, it remains on v1066. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

Hello,

how can I activate the "pre-release updates" in the German Version of "ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5"? I tried the "Testmodus" in the Update-Options but I didn't get the "Anti-Stealth module v1067" delivered, it remains on v1066. Any suggestions?

As for Endpoint, the new AS module is currently available on Endpoint v6 pre-release servers with v5 to follow soon.