Exporting firewall settings from Windows firewall?

Today I used  a freeware called 'Folder Firewall' to block multiple exe files inside a folder and its subfolders as ESET doesn't have a feature like that.  In ESET, I have to manually pick each and every exe file inside the folder and create separate rules. There are a total of 170 exe files in that folder and in its sub folders.

The rules for blocking those exes got created in Windows Firewall automatically by the Folder Firewall software. 

How can I make ESET respect those rules? I am using ESET Internet Security.

• Administrators

Currently there is no other option than create a separate rule for each executable or service. V16.2 with more options to identify the application should be available in a couple of weeks, please stay tuned. Nevertheless, I'd recommend using the default automatic mode to keep things hassle free and to avoid blocking a system process if you intend to create a general blocking rule for all communication and allow it only for specific applications.

Those .exe files are not system files. They are test files for specific applications. Blocking their access won't harm my laptop's performance at all. 

I couldn't find a detailed write up on Folder Firewall. However, I found another product: https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/27/windows-10/how-to-block-folders-in-windows-firewall-to-restrict-internet-access.html that appears to be identical in functionality; there are other software like this.

I saw no mention that the Win firewall outbound rules processing needs to be enabled. It appears this software just uses the Win firewall outbound rule section as a storage location for the rules it creates. This software monitors for outbound Internet traffic; then checks Win firewall outbound rules for a match on the source .exe; and finally applies the block action specified for the matching Win outbound firewall rule.

As it currently stands now, the Eset firewall by default will also evaluate Win inbound firewall rules. In theory at least, it could also do so for Win firewall outbound rules. That is only evaluate blocked rules. Will Eset do so? Doubtful in my opinion. Win firewall rules can be easily hacked by an attacker since they are stored in clear text in the registry. Also, apps like Adobe Reader and the like can add inbound firewall rules at will; just like this Folder Firewall app can for outbound rules. As it currently stands, Eset's evaluation of Win inbound firewall rules is a potential security risk. The risk being factored by it is the only way to allow Win native apps to run unimpeded since these app .exe names constantly change.

Edited by itman

Is it possible to disable ESET firewall and make it respect Windows Firewall fully? That seems to be the most manageable solution before ESET improves their firewall customization methods for exe files inside folders. 

5 hours ago, archz2 said:

Is it possible to disable ESET firewall and make it respect Windows Firewall fully?

As far as Eset Internet Security or Smart Security Premium goes. the answer is no as far as I am aware of. Disabling the firewall in either results in no firewall protection.

You can perform a downgrade install from the Eset GUI -> Help and Support -> Installed product -> Change product to NOD32 which does not include any network protection including firewall monitoring. Prior to performing the downgrade install, you can export your existing Internet Security settings. This would save your existing firewall settings which could be reapplied upon an upgrade EIS or ESSP installation at a later date.

• Administrators

You can disable the ESET firewall in the advanced setup. This will keep network protection protecting your computer from threats exploiting vulnerabilities in network protocols and brute-force attacks.

image.png

36 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You can disable the ESET firewall in the advanced setup.

I tied in the past to permanently disable Eset firewall this way only to find when verifying firewall status in Microsoft Security Center, no firewall was active. Just tried this method again and appears the issue has been resolved.

In any case after disabling Eset firewall, I would verify in the "Manage providers" section of Microsoft Security Center that the Windows firewall is "On" and the Eset firewall is "Off."