Windows Defender

I need to enable Windows Defender for school to do some tests, I gotta temporarily enable it but I don't know how because ESET automatically disabled it, what must I do?

• ESET Insiders

Hello manodepo,

First of all, it is Windows that disables Defender. Whenever Windows sees another AV register itself to the action center/security center, Windows then automatically disables Defender (at least in Windows 8/8.1 which I assume that you are using - not sure how this is handled by other Windows versions).

Next off, I personally do not know a way to enable Defender short of removing ESET from your system. I do know of one AV (Webroot) that will supply you with a registry hack so you can run Webroot and Defender at the same time. As far as I know, this does not exist for ESET. Hopefully an ESET moderator (or someone more knowledgeable than myself) can give you a definitive answer., but as far as I know you must remove ESET in order to run Defender...

Edited by puff-m-d

I would uninstall ESET to make sure you can do those tests properly, and when done reinstall ESET again. Instead of trying to find a way around it that may not work to 100% anyway.

If you go to Control Panel > Windows Defender

When you click it, it says This program is turned off, below that..... "If you would like to use this program click here."

It will turn on, and services for it will start running again, including the gui so you can adjust settings.

I would disable it again when you are done with school work as it is inadequate to today's latest threats. Only a premium AV company that has an established database that is current will protect you efficiently.

Also real time for every file executed, being monitored by two programs, may yield bad results like freezing.