v8 over v7- Learning Mode Not creating rules?

Go to solution Solved by scottls59901,

Yesterday I downloaded the latest Offline installer/Public, and installed it over v7/reboot/Full scan/reboot/Learning Mode/reboot (I first created a Full Image backup)-

I then started opening/closing everything on my Win7 Pro 32-bit computer, for Initial Setup/Trust...

With my old v7/ & Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop (clean Offline installer (no rules import, Public), I would see pop-ups saying rules had been created, but No pop-ups on my 32-bit desktop?

I tried switching back to Automatic FW Mode, and then to Learning Mode (No reboot), but still no pop-ups?-

Otherwise computer is running good.

BTW- Negative scans with my on-demand AV's.

What Now? :huh:

If you want to see firewall notifications (where you allow/deny a connection) you should set the firewall to "interactive mode".

If you want to see firewall notifications (where you allow/deny a connection) you should set the firewall to "interactive mode".

FYI-

-For Initial Setup with No browsing (No active FW!)- Learning Mode is Best for me, as it allows everything to completely open 1st time creating permanent/quickly accessed rules (open Every module... for complete Trust/rules).

-Then when I switch back to Automatic Mode, the Apps (Browsers/Sandboxie/LastPass/Zemana Anti-Logger/...), Completely Open Much Faster, and I don't have to close/open them again to get them working fully (Hotmail/Redbox/...).

- I tried Slow Interactive Mode in v7 (remember rule...),and Didn't like it re-Prompting me every-time there was Any change (Especially Bad for Windows Update..., as new drivers need to load in fast order!).

Even after switching back to Automatic Mode, I'd be re-prompted about Interactive rules changes, and I finally deleted All Interactive created rules.

BTW?- After creating this Topic, and going back to opening/closing apps, v8 started creating new rules pop-ups in Learning Mode?

Hello,

Yes in interactive mode you will be notified, but only once provided you create a permanent rule, then next time you won't be notified.

I understand what you are saying about the "faster opening" of programs etc etc...but it doesn't make any sense at all.

A rule created in either Learning mode - Interactive mode, or the default Automatic mode works the same way, a rule either allows or blocks the traffic.

It is impossible that a program would launch faster only because a rule is created by the Learning mode and not by the Automatic mode. 

So, are you saying that e.g Zemana is opening faster by doing it like you describe above, than if you only would have used the Automatic mode is that right?

The faster opening of websites and/or programs is not connected to which firewall mode the rule for the program was created with.

And as been said before, learning mode will not block anything at all, it will create "allow" rules which is why one shouldn't stay in Learning mode for longer periods of time. I only advice people to try learning mode for a while, in the rare cases the Automatic mode for some reason is unable to create all necessary rules.

Edited by SweX

Yesterday I downloaded the latest Offline installer/Public, and installed it over v7/reboot/Full scan/reboot/Learning Mode/reboot (I first created a Full Image backup)-

I then started opening/closing everything on my Win7 Pro 32-bit computer, for Initial Setup/Trust...

With my old v7/ & Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop (clean Offline installer (no rules import, Public), I would see pop-ups saying rules had been created, but No pop-ups on my 32-bit desktop?

I tried switching back to Automatic FW Mode, and then to Learning Mode (No reboot), but still no pop-ups?-

Otherwise computer is running good.

BTW- Negative scans with my on-demand AV's.

What Now? :huh:

Check this out please. Hope it helps.

So, are you saying that e.g Zemana is opening faster by doing it like you describe above, than if you only would have used the Automatic mode is that right?

Not only are apps Fully opening faster (eslecially sandboxie), but before creating the Zemana rule in Learning Mode it Never auto-notified me of updates to install (Manual check either)-

20min after the next days Cold startup, Zemana notified me that a new version was available/Update Now?

It turned out that I had missed Several updates!?

Not only are apps Fully opening faster (eslecially sandboxie), but before creating the Zemana rule in Learning Mode it Never auto-notified me of updates to install (Manual check either)-

20min after the next days Cold startup, Zemana notified me that a new version was available/Update Now?

It turned out that I had missed Several updates!?

Thanks for explaining.

I still can't understand the faster launching of apps, especially apps like sandboxie that works locally on the PC, but if that's how you experience it then I won't say against it.  :D

As for Zemana, the reason for that is most likely that there was additional rules created in learning mode, which was necessary rules to have for the update functionality of Zemana to work correctly. :)

And this is one of the cases where learning mode can make a difference, incase automatic mode does not create all necessary rules for an app e.g Zemana, then one can switch the firewall to learning mode for a short while and if there is more rules that is needed to be created then they will be created while in learning mode. But again, it is important to not stay in learning mode longer than necessary.

Edited by SweX

About the main issue: Maybe it's quite simple: When installing a new ESS version over an old version normally all settings are adopted.

Also the firewall settings.

So maybe it's just that the rules you want to create are already created.

You could have a look into the rules and zones editor to see it.

• Solution

About the main issue: Maybe it's quite simple: When installing a new ESS version over an old version normally all settings are adopted.

rugk,

Thanks for pointing me to rules, as the rules I created in old v7 did indeed carry over to v8! ;)

Edited by scottls59901

Indeed, funny I didn't think about that possibility.  :)