How to block .zip domain in ESET Protect?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello,

The last few days the subject for the new .zip, .mov, etc. domains is getting more and more noisier, and we would like to know if its possible to block those kinds of domains, especially .zip in ESET Protect. We tried to follow the instructions, which were given in this topic, but without success.

Thank you! I guess it needed some time to apply on the client hosts. One more thing - is there a way to customize the message, which the user sees when the website is blocked?

image.png

• Administrators
  • Solution

You can customize it only for Web Control notifications:

image.png

I've made a test and it appears that also Web Control can be used to block TLDs, just create a url-based blocking rule with the desired TLD as the url (without wildcards).

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Command IT said:

How would you handle something like this example?

https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/archive/refs/tags/@v1.27.1.zip

To block urls that end with ".zip", add "*/*.zip" to the list of blocked websites in the Web access protection setup -> URL address management. However, keep in mind that urls pointing to zip files may not necessarily end with ".zip".

The URL is not for a zip file, but for the site v1.27.1.zip as everything before the @ is classed as a username, so wondering how that could be handled? Will something like */@*.zip work?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure this would be handled as a .zip TLD, so it would be blocked when you denied access to .zip TLDs.