Unauthorized Devices on my License

Keith H

About a month ago I go a notice of strange login activity on my account. When I checked it was an IP address in Turkey, and there was a laptop on a different browser connected to my account. I deleted the laptop from my devices and changed my password. Now I keep getting these messages that my license is overused. When I check the same laptop is connected and now there are three other devices connected as well. I have deleted these several times, but they continue to come back.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I have used ESET for over 20 years and never had any issues, but this is causing me great concern, any ideas or solutions to this issue would be greatly appreciated.  I am close to just biting the bullet and deleted ESET from my computer.

Thanks for the help

Keith H.

• Administrators

It appears that your email address and possibly other data were exposed in various service breaches. We recommend changing your ESET HOME password and / or enabling 2FA authentication to prevent unauthorized persons from logging into your account.

Breaches you were pwned in

A "breach" is an incident where data has been unintentionally exposed to the public. Using the 1Password password manager helps you ensure all your passwords are strong and unique such that a breach of one service doesn't put your other services at risk.

Data Enrichment Exposure From PDL Customer: In October 2019, security researchers Vinny Troia and Bob Diachenko identified an unprotected Elasticsearch server holding 1.2 billion records of personal data. The exposed data included an index indicating it was sourced from data enrichment company People Data Labs (PDL) and contained 622 million unique email addresses. The server was not owned by PDL and it's believed a customer failed to properly secure the database. Exposed information included email addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles and job history data.

Compromised data: Email addresses, Employers, Geographic locations, Job titles, Names, Phone numbers, Social media profiles

Disqus: In October 2017, the blog commenting service Disqus announced they'd suffered a data breach. The breach dated back to July 2012 but wasn't identified until years later when the data finally surfaced. The breach contained over 17.5 million unique email addresses and usernames. Users who created logins on Disqus had salted SHA1 hashes of passwords whilst users who logged in via social providers only had references to those accounts.

Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames

Eye4Fraud: In February 2023, data alleged to have been taken from the fraud protection service Eye4Fraud was listed for sale on a popular hacking forum. Spanning tens of millions of rows with 16M unique email addresses, the data was spread across 147 tables totalling 65GB and included both direct users of the service and what appears to be individuals who'd placed orders on other services that implemented Eye4Fraud to protect their sales. The data included names and bcrypt password hashes for users, and names, phone numbers, physical addresses and partial credit card data (card type and last 4 digits) for orders placed using the service. Eye4Fraud did not respond to multiple attempts to report the incident.

Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Names, Partial credit card data, Passwords, Phone numbers, Physical addresses

MGM Resorts (2022 Update): In July 2019, MGM Resorts discovered a data breach of one of their cloud services. The breach included 10.6M guest records with 3.1M unique email addresses stemming back to 2017. In May 2022, a superset of the data totalling almost 25M unique email addresses across 142M rows was extensively shared on Telegram. On analysis, it's highly likely the data stems from the same incident with 142M records having been discovered for sale on a dark web marketplace in mid-2020. The exposed data included email and physical addresses, names, phone numbers and dates of birth.

Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Names, Phone numbers, Physical addresses

Not Acxiom (unverified): In 2020, a corpus of data containing almost a quarter of a billion records spanning over 400 different fields was misattributed to database marketing company Acxiom and subsequently circulated within the hacking community. On review, Acxiom concluded that "the claims are indeed false and that the data, which has been readily available across multiple environments, does not come from Acxiom and is in no way the subject of an Acxiom breach". The data contained almost 52M unique email addresses.

Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Names, Phone numbers, Physical addresses

Verifications.io: In February 2019, the email address validation service verifications.io suffered a data breach. Discovered by Bob Diachenko and Vinny Troia, the breach was due to the data being stored in a MongoDB instance left publicly facing without a password and resulted in 763 million unique email addresses being exposed. Many records within the data also included additional personal attributes such as names, phone numbers, IP addresses, dates of birth and genders. No passwords were included in the data. The Verifications.io website went offline during the disclosure process, although an archived copy remains viewable.

Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Employers, Genders, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Job titles, Names, Phone numbers, Physical addresses