My windows won't update 0x800f0922. ESET firewall blocks the update?

Xander9608

I tried different solutions from the Windows forum. The only thing left to do is to uninstall third-party antivirus - ESET. I also tried to pause the firewall to allow all traffic. However, that didn't resolve the issue. The last resort is to uninstall the ESET which I don't want to do. Please help. I am not that tech-savvy.

• Administrators

What ESET product and version do you use? Does pausing protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? While it shouldn't normally affect Windows updates, if you don't use default SSL settings it's possible that issues with Windows updates might occur.

• 2 months later...

The error code 0x800f0922 is a Windows Update error that can occur when the System Reserved partition has less than 500 MB of space or when the system can't connect to the update server. Other reasons may include poor internet connection, failed installation of the previous update, or a conflict with a third-party antivirus program.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Marcus van wattum said:

The error code 0x800f0922 is a Windows Update error that can occur when the System Reserved partition has less than 500 MB of space or when the system can't connect to the update server. Other reasons may include poor internet connection, failed installation of the previous update, or a conflict with a third-party antivirus program.

The ESET firewall should not interfere with Windows updates. Does temporarily pausing the firewall or uninstalling ESET make a difference?

Hi there,

I just had the same problem happen to me. I was here to post a new thread about it when I saw this.

After I installed ESET, my Windows Update stopped working, as in, it gave an error of "Not able to connect to the update service." I'm on a Windows Surface 7 Pro +. After looking at the packet traffic in Wireshark, I get a bundle of Warning Level packets, I don't believe any of the traffic was ESET in origin and I always err on the side of the traffic being inoccuous but I'll double check if any of the IPs have been reported.

I may have a different type of situation going on as when I run the system snapshot tool in ESET, most of the entries had an unknown element to them, meaning that practically every base system function had a yellow bubble next to it with an "Unknown" next to it. If these are default system files on what should be a stock installation of Windows 10 Home (also shows as Windows NT 10.0) yet ESET (Premium) doesn't recognize the files or something within the files doesn't correspond to likely the excellently maintained database ESET has, I'm wondering if I should be concerned or if this information could help me determine the cause of the issue. I also have PowerShell history of commands being run blocking some Microsoft debugging tools I was running at the same time I was trying to work with them immediately after I installed them (this was before I had ESET installed) and they were definitely not run by me and since I'm the only official user of this personal non-work computer, I thought this was potentially not good. 

I've also flashed my surface back to stock firmware 3 times, reset it a dozen more and this is just one of the many critical problems I have with, quite unbelievablebly, every device I have. I explained this to Microsoft and they told me to send it in for a replacement. It will be my second replacement in 3 months.

Any advice or guidance from the community or ESET people would be helpful as I'm a firm believer that ESET is hands down the best AV on the market and also that my 2023 computer should be faster than the computer I played Quake I on.

Thank you,

-Aaron

• Administrators

I'd recommend raising a support ticket in case you have problems with Windows update related to ESET, meaning that either disabling protocol filtering or another protection feature, setting, or temporarily uninstalling the program makes a difference.