[Windows 11] Can't use emoji picker with secure browser

Hello,

I noticed when trying to use the Windows emoji picker (Win+.) in a secure browser with "Keyboard protection" enabled, the input to the emoji picker is scrambled making it effectively useless.

I found this thread highlighting the same issue where an ESET employee said they'd investigate it, but the thread is now locked with no further updates.

Are there any further updates on the issue, or a way to let me whitelist the emoji picker without turning off secure browsing/keyboard protection?

I am on Windows 11.

Thank you! :)

• Administrators

I was unable to reproduce the issue, the emoji panel always appears after pressing the said shortcut in a secured browser when keyboard protection is on.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I was unable to reproduce the issue, the emoji panel always appears after pressing the said shortcut in a secured browser when keyboard protection is on.

It's possible to bring up the picker without any issues, but once you start typing the input will be garbled. I have attached a video of me opening the emoji window and then typing the word 'smiling'.

4 hours ago, Naravia said:

It's possible to bring up the picker without any issues, but once you start typing the input will be garbled.

This issue was discussed here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/34540-banking-and-payment-protection-option-renders-browser-emoji-input-impossible/ . Only current solution was to disable B&PP keystroke protection for normal browser activities and re-enable it when performing actual banking or financial activities.

1 minute ago, itman said:

This issue was discussed here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/34540-banking-and-payment-protection-option-renders-browser-emoji-input-impossible/ . Only current solution was to disable B&PP keystroke protection for normal browser activities and re-enable it when performing actual banking or financial activities.

Thank you, however I already linked to that thread and mentioned I was aware of that workaround.

What I'm interested in is whether it's still being worked on or whether any progress has been made since that thread was posted.

• Administrators

Ok, I was able to reproduce it and found out that it's a known issue. The issue will require a deeper research since we could not quickly find the process that needs to be excluded.

P_ESSW-15804

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Ok, I was able to reproduce it and found out that it's a known issue. The issue will require a deeper research since we could not quickly find the process that needs to be excluded.

P_ESSW-15804

Thank you very much for the detailed update :)

Good luck with your search, I hope you can find it soon! I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there are any further updates

• 1 month later...

@Marcos has there been any progress on this issue yet? 2 months later and I'm still suffering from the same problem

Thank you!

Edited by Naravia

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I also encountered this issue. I wasn't able to find anything through a Google search and wasn't sure if it was caused by another app, such as Logitech software, a browser plugin, or malware/virus (though I was 90% sure that my computer was clean). So, I decided to reinstall Windows 11 and started installing apps again. Fortunately, updates and ESET were the first ones I installed. However, this bug happened again, so I started searching for keyboard settings and found it under Web browser protection. I turned off Keyboard protection, and everything seems fine now (like the emoji picker search).

I then stumbled upon this discussion, and I wanted to let you know that even after a clean install of the newest Windows 11 ISO and the latest Eset Internet Security, the mistyping issue persisted. The character order was as follows, because I'm using the Czech keyboard layout. And it seemed as if all the character buttons on my keyboard were being pressed one by one (even though I only pressed one key repetitively): ;+ěščřžýáíé=´qwertzuiopú)asdfghjklů§ÿxcvbnm,.-