Checking the legal status of a purchased licence key.

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Is there any way of checking the legal status of a purchased licence.

Lately instead of renewing the licence on the same terms in the same store as previously I decided to go for the cheapest option available just to check how dodgy the source was. The whole proces was dodgy enough. In the meantime I installed different software and contacted ESET support.

This is the funniest part - official support, which in Poland is just an IT security company says that they cannot confirm where the licence came from and redirect me to the store. The store is dodgy but I already pointed this out to them and well ... based on their word and the support received from DAGMA on behalf of ESET I can assume that the licence is fully covered and legit (therefore nothing violates ESET T&C). However based on the shop's reaction on one of my emails and the way DAGMA keeps bouncing off the ball, everything seems very dodgy and unprofessional on both sides ESET official support for Poland and the store where I purchased the licence.

I don't care really about the licence therefore if anyone (from ESET presumably) is interested in checking this I will provide the licence info and the information about the shop I in question.

Just to clarify some things - I have worked as TS and CS agent for a few well known (and some less known) companies from IT sector and have never had an issue with confirming the whether something violates T&C. I have also never encountered a situation when company is not interested in claryfying this to a customer.

Edited by _V1_
Change wording.

• Administrators

I see that you have a license with public license ID 3A7-4GP-6WJ which was purchased in Nepal. It's valid until April 3, 2024. That said, for support you will need to contact the partner Cloud Link & Security Enterprises in Nepal: https://cloudlink.com.np/aboutus

16 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I see that you have a license with public license ID 3A7-4GP-6WJ which was purchased in Nepal. It's valid until April 3, 2024. That said, for support you will need to contact the partner Cloud Link & Security Enterprises in Nepal: https://cloudlink.com.np/aboutus

Right, so my question here is - is this licence valid in the EU and is it legal to sell these licences in the EU?

What is the exact legal status of this licence.

My previous experience as a customer and professional experience from wotking in some companies makes me assume that it is not a legit licence. In other words good for use in a specific region (regional pricing is practiced by many companies) but usually these cannot be resold in another region where licences are more expensive.

I purchased the licence in Poland from a company registered in Poland.

Edited by _V1_
Add information.

• Administrators
  • Solution

The license is registered to your email address so it's definitely not a scam and the license is legitimate. However, for support queries you will have to contact the seller instead of the Polish distributor.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The license is registered to your email address so it's definitely not a scam and the license is legitimate. However, for support queries you will have to contact the seller instead of the Polish distributor.

Thank you for the reply.

I switched already to another product. As I have written, I do not care about this licence. It is unused and it will remain that way.

That is all I wanted to know. The policy is strange, as actually it allows anyone to purchase whatever, wherever as long as it is significantly cheaper, but it is your product and in the end you set the rules.

I do not have support queries as I am able to deal with technical issues on my own, therefore support within the licence price is of no value to me (in most cases). I did asking for support a few times bac when I was still a student. In the end decided it was a waste of time and energy as before support managed to identify what was wrong I've either found a solution or a workaround.

Plus consumer and small business level support is pretty bad (from my point of view at least) - this I confirmed myself by working in some companies.