Computrace and UEFI Archive Damaged

This is a scan from an Acer Nitro 5 17" Laptop with aggressive setting in Eset.

This laptop does not mention anything about having Computrace.. so is it strange that Eset would detect it ? There is no anti-theft or anything similar in the Bios settings.

Also why is ESET Unable to read some archives and says they're damaged? the BCD also cannot be scanned.

I have two of these laptops, and both get similar scan results.. one of them reports the errors twice, see the attached screenshot... the other reports them once. Same detections.Screenshot2023-04-10172846.thumb.png.6f18725b04b864eb998c3ed7c411d161.png

Edited by graycat

BCD log is safe i have come across with that but that uefi detection is concerning did you check your pc for secure boot your pc most likely have a backdoor access see this link https://threatpost.com/millions-of-pcs-affected-by-mysterious-computrace-backdoor-2/107700/

The software is extremely flexible. It’s a tiny piece of code which is a part of the BIOS. As far as it is a piece of the BIOS, it is not very easy to update the software as often. So they made it very extensible. It can do nearly anything. It can run every type of code. You can do to the system whatever you want. Considering that the software is running on these local system privileges, you have full access to the machine. You can wipe the machine, you can monitor it, you can look through the webcam, you can actually copy any files, you can start new processes. You can do absolutely anything

i suggest doing a reflash of the bios

20 hours ago, graycat said:

This is a scan from an Acer Nitro 5 17" Laptop with aggressive setting in Eset.

It is odd that Computrace is installed since the Nitro model series was developed for gaming activities.

Computrace is usually installed on laptops/notebooks designed to support commercial environments.

-EDIT- I suggest you contact Acer tech support as to if CompuTrace was installed on your device at its manufacturing facility.

Edited by itman

5 minutes ago, itman said:

It is odd that Computrace is installed since the Nitro model series was developed for gaming activities.

Computrace is usually installed on laptops/notebooks designed to support commercial environments.

This type of malware are persistent sir?