7.0.325 change log curiosity

novice
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi,

Just moved from 7.0.317 to 7.0.325 for a short time and back to 7.0.317 ( for some reason seems to work better)

The change log for 7.0.325 says " new engine module"

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason to introduce a "new engine module" in version 7,  just 12 days before a major version release (V8)??????

Whoever decides to use a previous version (v7) would go to ESET site and download V.7.0.325 (the only one available) believing that is a well polished one, when in fact this version was "alive" for fix 12 days, with al bugs associated with a "new engine"!!!!

So, why not keep 7.0.317 as the last "7" version????

Thanks!

Edited by novice

AFAIK, Because the old build had not the updated engine inside in the installer, so every user downloading 317. would still have to download the engine update via the VSD update channel. By rebuilding the installer to include the updated engine and newer modules users does not have to do that after the install is done.

Yeah it is well polished, I have used 325. and it worked as smooth as any other build for me.

"with al bugs associated with a "new engine"!!!!"

What bugs are you talking about?

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3263-smart-security-not-updating-virus-signatures/?p=18876

The updated engine was released in september, when some users had problem updating due to heavy load on the update servers remember?....and this is now included in the 325. build so users don't have to download it via the VSD update channel after the install is done like I said above.

P.S

Unless I am mistaken, even if you went back to 317. the very same engine and module updates was downloaded via the VSD update channel after installing 317. so you still use the same engine and module updates that is inside the 325. build.

This is what I think but I could be totally wrong of course.

This is what I think but I could be totally wrong of course.

Actually you are completely right Swex :)

Oh but look at that! Splendid  :D

Thank you Marcos.

Edited by SweX

No, he is saying that:

Unless I am mistaken, even if you went back to 317. the very same engine and module updates was downloaded via the VSD update channel after installing 317. so you still use the same engine and module updates that is inside the 325. build.

(marked by me)

Also have a look at this: What is the difference between a Virus Signature Database update and a Program Component Update (PCU)?

• Administrators
  • Solution

Are you saying that an updated 317 is the same like a freshly installed 325?

Thanks!

Not exactly. Version 7.0.325 contains some internal fixes as well.