Application Problems with Version 8

Hi,

Since I've updated to SmartSecurity 8, I can't use a application called BTnext.

I've already open a exception on anti-virus and Firewall, but the application keeps giving errors.

In version 7 this application works just fine.

It looks like the exceptions didn't' work properly...

Can anyone help?

• Administrators

Hello,

1, Does switching to pre-release updates and running manual update help?

2, Does temporarily disabling firewall make a difference?

3, Does switching firewall to learning mode until all rules are created automatically help?

I briefly switched to version 8 following advice from uk tech support ,to see if it fixed another issue i've been experiencing , but as well as the outcome being the same results, i found version 8 to be preventing raxco Perfect disk 12.5  from performing a boot time defrag of the system files, and the built in repair utility was been blocked from repairing the registry key so that it is first to load,As well as increased unexplained disk read/writes every 5-10 secs ,was driving me mad,  it would seem it assumes control over my system regardless of what i happen to want ,or even if the application is safe digitally signed ect and been used on my system with other versions of eset for years

needless to say i won't be in any rush to upgrade to version 8 any time soon, whilst i briefly tested version 8 it locked my pc several times with hips on interactive mode when eset asked me to create a rule for running apps

Hips appeared to make no difference to the boot time defrag, as something eset related was preventing the repair function ,once i removed eset ver 8 it repaired and worked, v7 doesn't change/block PD, or cause lots of disk activity with PD

Edited by tommy456

• 4 months later...

hxxp://i.imgur.com/wG8lyc9.jpg is what the reg key looks like  and maybe the reason why the PD BOOT.EXE can't run or repair  itself

Checking Boot Execute Key for presence of PDBoot.exe followed by "autocheck autochk *" service...
Cannot read registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute error 13 Test FAILED

Output from PD 12.5 error when it failed to repair boot time defrag , the process PD boot is  excluded and i have created a rule in hips to allow pd boot.exe  but cannot add the reg key location  as it says it can't find it ???

Edited by tommy456

This was surely not ESET.

The default value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute is "autocheck autochk *". So maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to change this value.

More information here:

Edited by rugk

Well i could un-install  ESSV8 and find out because Pefect disk will then be able to repair the key or whatever  else  eset is obstructing , Because it is programmed to load before everything else , My argument with this is there should be an option  to allow  legit apps like PD to function as they are supposed to, because at the end of the day it's my machine and i control it

I change the key value to the default,  and it still wouldn't repair it,  so i uninstalled eset ss8 and  still no joy, so i ran a repair install of pd12.5 and it then worked again,  (had to do the same thing previously) installed version 7  still working

Also  the  working key value just has PDBOOT.EXE before the autocheck autochk *

And now another app would work,lol  YATQA which is a utility for viewing and administering a teamspeak 3 server , with v7 it fails to connect even though the rules have been added to allow it, the ts server is on the same pc so is connecting using localhost

Edited by tommy456

Well i could un-install  ESSV8 and find out because Pefect disk will then be able to repair the key or whatever  else  eset is obstructing , Because it is programmed to load before everything else , My argument with this is there should be an option  to allow  legit apps like PD to function as they are supposed to, because at the end of the day it's my machine and i control it

No it's not really programmed "to load before everything else" and of course legit programs are always allowed. What sense would it make to block such programs?

And you could of course even allow malicious programs (or PUA) by excluding it from scanning.

• 2 weeks later...

ESS v8 broke it, thus preventing it from performing a boot time defrag, i un installed ESSv8  in order to repair PD 12.5 and  it now works fine with ESSV7 installed  so V8 is definitely disabling it's boot defrag function & also preventing it being repaired

There is also another issue with v8 where by if downloading a large file ,multi-threaded mode, with advanced memory scanning and exploit blocker enabled  in the hips sub menu the pc will lock for several seconds with those options disabled  no lock ups

Edited by tommy456