• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm coming from the link shown where another member has asked the same question and is directed here by the admin Macros saying it answered here.  So where or even how is it answered here?
Could we get an actual explanation as to it's function for some transparency?

I am able to disable the service with no observable ill effects but still I would like to know it's purpose.

Well I'd say based on the silence from ESET on this questionable network service, it's better left disabled.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, JWT said:

I'm coming from the link shown where another member has asked the same question and is directed here by the admin Macros saying it answered here.  So where or even how is it answered here?
Could we get an actual explanation as to it's function for some transparency?

I am able to disable the service with no observable ill effects but still I would like to know it's purpose.

How did you disable it? Please and thanks.

• Administrators

It's an essential service that must not be disabled.

This new service will be handling future external communication (like ECP for licensing) and will forward messages between gRPC and our internal RPC in the future versions of the communication protocol.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

will forward messages between gRPC and our internal RPC

For those who don't know what gRPC is;

gRPC (gRPC Remote Procedure Calls[2]) is a cross-platform open source high performance remote procedure call (RPC) framework. gRPC was initially created by Google, which used a single general-purpose RPC infrastructure called Stubby to connect the large number of microservices running within and across its data centers from about 2001.[3] In March 2015, Google decided to build the next version of Stubby and make it open source. The result was gRPC, which is now used in many organizations aside from Google to power use cases from microservices to the “last mile” of computing (mobile, web, and Internet of Things). It uses HTTP/2 for transport, Protocol Buffers as the interface description language, and provides features such as authentication, bidirectional streaming and flow control, blocking or nonblocking bindings, and cancellation and timeouts. It generates cross-platform client and server bindings for many languages. Most common usage scenarios include connecting services in a microservices style architecture, or connecting mobile device clients to backend services.[4]

gRPC's complex use of HTTP/2 makes it impossible to implement a gRPC client in the browser, instead requiring a proxy.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRPC

Edited by itman

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
11 hours ago, DavidAguero said:

great, another process to slow down the machine and choke my internet flow

What kind of slowdown do you experience with ESET installed? Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference?

• 3 weeks later...

yes it does slow down and creates a error in the win 10 event log under diagnostic performence that the process "efwd,
     ESET Forwarder, 10.33.29.0" has slowed down the shut down by 4,9 sec - which is really too much, therefore please fix it. Thank you

Edited by agnosie

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup when the issue is manifesting
  2. After approx. 60s stop logging
  3. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. If too big, upload it to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

19 hours ago, agnosie said:

yes it does slow down and creates a error in the win 10 event log under diagnostic performence that the process "efwd,
     ESET Forwarder, 10.33.29.0" has slowed down the shut down by 4,9 sec - which is really too much, therefore please fix it. Thank you

I just checked my Win 10 22H2 diagnostic performance log and see zip entries related to efwd. Only thing listed were occasional ekrn.exe startup entries.