Can't Append Message to Email

Pentode

XP pro 32bit Sp3 Nod32 v8 AV (Trial Version):

With Nod32 v7 and my  XP Sp2 installation I could Append 'Checked by Nod32'... I can not get it to work Emails with the new installation, I have the Email  boxes configured the same way.

Would this be any way to do with the Trial version, a bug or some other config. setting?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Pentode

1. What email-client do you use?
  2. What AV do you use? (The thing with Avast irritated me) I assume ESET NOD32...
  3. I strongly recommend you to install SP3 for Windows XP, because recently we found out that the 8th generation of the ESET products requires SP3 for Windows XP.

Normally you shouldn't be able to install v8 on Windows XP SP2.

4. How do you access your mails (POP3 or POP3S and SMTP or SMTPS)?

Now I read the first line... I overlooked it. :wacko:

And whether you use a trail version or not makes no difference.

Edited by rugk

Oooops my bad rugk, sorry.... I meant Nod32 (that one irritated me too, down to the bone I will add).

I use PO3 and SMTP,  Nod 32 'Append signature' works fine on my XP Sp2 set up which I just updated license for but not on the Sp3 version with a trial licence,  I use Thunderbird the same program version on both.   I noticed that NOD32  scan button wasn't displayed in the SP3 set up as it is on the Sp2 installation. Think I'll try a repair install, more probably my Email program is a wee bit antiquated since updating to Sp3, other than that all seems to be working just as fine.

I too wasn't clear about version 8 running on a Xp 32bit Sp2 system, if the information was more definite then I may not needed to post, I did look in the requirements, or at least tried to.

Dare I suggest links for the downloads and info somewhere on the Forum, it seemed I had to go all over the place to get v8?

Thanks for your time, regards Dave.

FYI you can edit posts in this forum after you published them.

BTT: That fact that the button is gone has surely to do with the support of Thunderbird. I assume you mean something like a scan button in Thunderbird. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Like you can read in a kb article Thunderbird v 6 and newer isn't supported, so the add-on/plug-in isn't compatible and no button can appear there.

However the mails will still be scanned for malware.

More information about the thing with the system requirements you can surely find in this topic: System requirements of the new ESET version 8

It stands in the knowledgebase articles.

I don't know if a re-installation will solve the problem. However here are some links (you don't have to go all over the place ;)):

Thank you for the first link... that is very helpful and looks as though it explains all, I'll get back with the results.

I know about being able to edit, just that I don't like to edit things after someone has replied to a post, think the time has come to build an updated 'pewter' with a updated o/s, you can bet NOD32 will be on!.  Thanks again, Dave

It seems that Nod32 is the problem..... there is no Firefox option.

First. I upgraded to v8 which was a failure because I run XP Pro 32bit  with Sp2, no mention of  this in the requirement - it just said XP! Then, I had to go back to v7.

Second. I played about with XP Pro 32 bit and Sp3 installing NOD32 v8, on a spare hard drive.  I struggled and struggled thinking it was my browser when in fact NOD32 IS to blame for not showing the integration button in Thunderbird and not being able to Append messages on outgoing Email.

I am now switching back to v7 and Sp2...... when v7 runs dry so will my account! I do trust v7 is OK for another year as I have just renewed my license.

Why has NOD32 done away with Thunderbird? I am Not very happy at the moment!

Dave

• Administrators

Some remarks:

- Why don't you install SP3 even if Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft? Having the latest service pack installed is better than having the computer more vulnerable to malware attacks.

- Relying on signatures appended to scanned email is not a good practice. Such signatures can also be added by malware to lure the user into thinking that it's safe to open it.

- If you want to have the signature appended for informative purposes (ie. not as a trustworthy means to decide if a message is clean or not), configure email protection to add the signature to all scanned messages. Please test it with plain text email as html email may contain non-standard html code structure that would render the signature invisible.

- Why don't you install SP3 even if Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft? Having the latest service pack installed is better than having the computer more vulnerable to malware attacks.

I think he had done so.

And for you @Pentode I want to quote myself:

About the system requirements I can suggest you this topic:

System requirements of the new ESET version 8

There I explained in detail where the "SP3 required" was noted and where not. And to make it short: It was noted somewhere, but not everywhere.

About the "message appending" I don't think that this is really such a serious issue, but for troubleshooting and possible solutions, please stick to your topic:

Additionally I'd like to say that @jadinolf found a acceptable solution. :)  (And because his one is unique it's also not so easy for malware to fake it :lol:)

But back to topic:

1. @jadinolf, you're experiencing this issue too or did you just wanted to make a suggestion for the TS? If you're experiencing the issue please tell us what email client you use.
  2. Like @Marcos already said, it's always important to have the most recent updates (and also Service Packs of course) installed. Regardless of whether ESET supports SP2 or not I would have suggested you to upgrade to SP3.
  3. The signature of ESET is only a "design element". Like @Marcos said, it can be easily faked or something else.

That's why ESET will move infected emails automatically in the dir "infected" (and adds the virus name to subject of the mail) in the default setting and the spam mails to the spam folder.

@all

Please check your settings. To have such a signature from ESET appended to all scanned mails adjust the settings in this way.

@jadinolf and @Pentode please check whether your settings are set this way.

post-3952-0-94555700-1415536357_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

@rugk

I did say,  I have the settings on the Sp2  installation exactly like the one on the Sp3 installation and using the same Thunderbird version...... in Nod32 v 8 Thunderbird is NOT listed in the Email client integration list.

Do you really think I would have even updated Nod32 to v8 if I had known about this? AND I have just renewed my license prior to this update, I do up v7 will see my license out.

I have NO intentions of faking Nod32 signature! That is a cheapskate trick and does not solve the problem.

Dave

I think he had done so.

And for you @Pentode I want to quote myself:

About the system requirements I can suggest you this topic:

System requirements of the new ESET version 8

There I explained in detail where the "SP3 required" was noted and where not. And to make it short: It was noted somewhere, but not everywhere.

About the "message appending" I don't think that this is really such a serious issue, but for troubleshooting and possible solutions, please stick to your topic:

Additionally I'd like to say that @jadinolf found a acceptable solution. :)  (And because his one is unique it's also not so easy for malware to fake it :lol:)

But back to topic:

1. @jadinolf, you're experiencing this issue too or did you just wanted to make a suggestion for the TS? If you're experiencing the issue please tell us what email client you use.
  2. Like @Marcos already said, it's always important to have the most recent updates (and also Service Packs of course) installed. Regardless of whether ESET supports SP2 or not I would have suggested you to upgrade to SP3.
  3. The signature of ESET is only a "design element". Like @Marcos said, it can be easily faked or something else.

That's why ESET will move infected emails automatically in the dir "infected" (and adds the virus name to subject of the mail) in the default setting and the spam mails to the spam folder.

@all

Please check your settings. To have such a signature from ESET appended to all scanned mails adjust the settings in this way.

@jadinolf and @Pentode please check whether your settings are set this way.

attachicon.gifAppendTagMessagesToEmails.png

I use Postbox which is similar to Thunderbird but obviously NOT Thunderbird so I just wanted the message on my email. I just use it in my signature.

@Pentode

If you fake the message this way that you say "This mail was checked by ESET NOD32." then you're always right, because through the protocol scanning ESET scans all the emails.

in Nod32 v 8 Thunderbird is NOT listed in the Email client integration list.

Yes, they removed the add-on, because nobody uses such an old version. (What version of Thunderbird do you use?)
But this was announced before.

@jadinolf

Postbox isn't supported, so I think it can't append the message.

But maybe I'm wrong and ESET can modify the mails with the protocol filtering.

Edited by rugk

A kind of explanation why it doesn't work. As you noticed it works with v7, but not with v8.

Version 7

• ESET installs Thunderbird-addon (compatible with v5 or earlier) → It appears in Thunderbird and works together with ESET
  • An email is sent or received from a compatible e-mail client (in this case Thunderbird v 5 or earlier):
    • ESET scans incoming and outgoing mails for malicious codes → anti-malware protection works
    • ESET scans incoming mails for spam → anti-spam protection works
    • ESET can instruct the add-on to add the messages at the end of the mail → appending works

Version 8

• ESET does not install the Thunderbird-addon → It appears either under C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security or in Thunderbird.
  • An email is sent or received from a Thunderbird:
    • ESET scans incoming and outgoing mails for malicious codes → anti-malware protection works
    • ESET can't scan incoming mails for spam → anti-spam protection doesn't work
    • ESET can't instruct the add-on to add the messages at the end of the mail → appending doesn't work
Edited by rugk