EIS - Secured browser loads blank "Untitled" pages in Microsoft Edge

Edge Version 111.0.1661.51 (Official build) (64-bit)

ESET Internet Security 16.0.26.0

Since yesterday, 2 of my users have reported that Microsoft Edge will not load any pages. I connected to check and observed the same, each browser has the green outline around it to show it is Eset protected, no pages including internal pages like edge://settings will load. The page is blank with "Untitled" title on the tab. 

I tried Edge repair and forcibly uninstalling Edge, reinstalling Edge but the same issue is present. I renamed the default Edge profile folder which worked for a few minutes then the issue returned. I then disabled Eset protected browser, restarted Edge and it works like normal now.

The workaround is to permanently disable the protected browser feature of Eset, hopefully an update will fix this but thought I would report as I expect this is fairly widespread, most of my licenses are for Endpoint Security which is why I haven't seen more users with the problem. 

Thanks

• Administrators

I'd recommend raising a support ticket. We'll need a dump of the main Edge process, ELC logs, a Procmon log from launching Edge after disabling Protected service and rebooting the machine and maybe even more, hence a ticket would be helpful in tracking all the things.

Also please try switching to the pre-release update channel, then reboot the machine (do not make any further changes to ESET settings) and see if you can still reproduce the issue.

Edge not working with Eset Internet security

Same problem as reported by PuterCare on 3/24/2023: Nothing opens in Edge. Settings doesn't open, Extensions doesn't open. Chrome and Firefox work just fine. Delete the Edge folder in AppData and Edge will run once, until it it is closed, then not work again until the Edge folder in AppData is deleted again. Killing all Ede processes and deleting the Edge LocalState file is the minimal (but impractical) workaround.

Regarding "raising a support ticket. We'll need a dump of the main Edge process, ESET Log Collector logs, a Procmon log from launching Edge after disabling Protected service and rebooting the machine and maybe even more ..." I already have ESET uninstalled as part of the process of verifying that the problem is ESET. Now it's easier to simply install a free antivirus product from a competitor.

I have a client that has the exact same thing happening with two computers.
This is with Microsoft Edge and ESET Smart Security Premium.
There is no problem using Google Chrome through.

17 hours ago, Marcos said:

What OS do you have? On Windows 11 there might be an issue with permissions to a specific folder.

In my case, both users are on Windows 10. I am unable to get the build right now but I would suspect 22H2. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

The development team made a fix in the Banking & payment protection module 1301, which is as of now available on the pre-release update channel.
Browser restart is required after the module update to apply the fix.
Can you please check if it resolves the issue for you?

Peter

• 1 month later...

I have this problem with BPP protection, on Firefox (latest release) and Edge (latest release for regular and development), but not Chrome. Running Windows 11—blank white screen. Also, when one of the affected browsers is open, typing in any program on the entire computer outputs incorrect keystrokes (any combination of characters outputs as qwertyuiopasdfghjkl, no matter what order they are typed in). Disabling BPP fixes both problems. I am running latest Pre-release from ESET (updated today, multiple restarts after update).

• Administrators
4 hours ago, modelfuel said:

I have this problem with BPP protection, on Firefox (latest release) and Edge (latest release for regular and development), but not Chrome. Running Windows 11—blank white screen. Also, when one of the affected browsers is open, typing in any program on the entire computer outputs incorrect keystrokes (any combination of characters outputs as qwertyuiopasdfghjkl, no matter what order they are typed in). Disabling BPP fixes both problems. I am running latest Pre-release from ESET (updated today, multiple restarts after update).

Please carry on as follows:

1. Close browsers.
  2. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  3. Launch Firefox and reproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.