Stuttering in streaming videos

Super_Spartan

I've always had this issue, when watching any video online like on YouTube or so, the video is not smooth despite me having a 50 MBPS connecton, it would start playing, then hang, buffer, buffer for a long time, then play a little bit, then hang..... so I just download the video using my Internet Download Manager which dowloads it @ 6 MB/S then watch it on my computer locally.

Today I was recommending NOD32 to one of my expert friends in the security world and he told me that he won't install NOD32 since v7 or v8 because they are heavy and make his videos stutter and stuff, so I just though wait a minute, I have been experiencing that as well....

so what's the solution to this? disable HTTP scanning? Also, why won't ESET fix it instead of us having to disable vital components of the AV?

Hello,

Usually if they request that you disable vital components, it is at the behest of troubleshooting.

The main reason is to ascertain if the disabled vital component is the core of the problem or not, so they know where to start working.

Not a permanent solution.

:)

I would double check you dont have any conflicting net drivers, Does your speed tests also conclude with 50mbps www.speedtest.net ?

Now please answer this question. Do you have SSL protocol filtering mode on or off ?

On the HTTP, HTTPS area of Web and email, make sure HTTPS is set to "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking".

See if it resolves the issue ;)

Hello,

Usually if they request that you disable vital components, it is at the behest of troubleshooting.

The main reason is to ascertain if the disabled vital component is the core of the problem or not, so they know where to start working.

Not a permanent solution.

:)

I would double check you dont have any conflicting net drivers, Does your speed tests also conclude with 50mbps www.speedtest.net ?

Now please answer this question. Do you have SSL protocol filtering mode on or off ?

On the HTTP, HTTPS area of Web and email, make sure HTTPS is set to "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking".

See if it resolves the issue ;)

All settings are at default, never played with anything. This is on a clean Win 7 x64 installation

I have install KAV for now to see if the issue is there just to ensure it is NOD32 causing it.

Additionally, yes my internet speed test is fine at speedtest.net it's just the online video streaming that's the issue

I have install KAV for now to see if the issue is there just to ensure it is NOD32 causing it.

Not, that you could just uninstall NOD32 and test it without any antivirus...

Do you have the latest Flash Player installed? Do you tried reinstalling Flash Player? Do you tried the HTML5 version of the YouTube-Player? Does it really happen for every video you look?

What browser did you use? Do you tested it with an other browser?

And if you already talk about HTTPS scanning: Does it also occur when you watch the YouTube video through a HTTPS connection?

And only for troubleshooting: Does it also happen when you deactivate Web protection or protocol filtering (one at a time)?

You give quite less information about your problem (and the possibly tried solutions) compared to the part where you are only getting angry about ESET (or telling what great "expert friends" you have...).

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

Never noticed this issue on Windows 7. Just to make sure, do you have SP1 as well as all Windows Filtering Platform-related hotfixes installed?

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/981889

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735855

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789397

If the issue is caused by a bug in Windows Filtering Platform, it would not occur with most other competitive software as most of other vendors don't utilize Windows Filtering Platform.

If the issue is caused by a bug in Windows Filtering Platform, it would not occur with most other competitive software as most of other vendors don't utilize Windows Filtering Platform.

I see...

So just BTW: Do you know or can you imagine why?

(If you don't want to bloat this topic you can of course PM me)

Never noticed this issue on Windows 7. Just to make sure, do you have SP1 as well as all Windows Filtering Platform-related hotfixes installed?

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/981889

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735855

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789397

Offcourse it is SP1 and all OS updates are done.

• Administrators

Offcourse it is SP1 and all OS updates are done.

Do you mean that you also installed the hotfixes that are not distributed automatically via Windows Update?

FYI some hotfixes are not automatically distributed by Windows update, but are good to install when you have issues.

But I don't know how it is with these hotfixes, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to check whether you have installed them or not.

I don't understand what you mean Marcos, I mean, I installed a Windows7  SP1 professional from a Windows 7 SP1 disc that came with my Alienware, then installed all Windows updates via Windows update itself, then installed NOD32 and all my apps.

What I noticed, is that this streaming videos issue didn't happen on IE 11, only on Firefox and its variants

• Administrators

For instance, the hotfix hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789397 is not included in Windows 7 SP1. I, too, have SP1 installed but had to install another hotfix addressing issues with system freezes manually.

Properties

Article ID: 2789397 - Last Review: March 13, 2013 - Revision: 3.0

Applies to

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
You wrote that the issue occurs with Firefox but not with IE. Does it occur also if you start Firefox in safe mode (without add-ons)?

For instance, the hotfix hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789397 is not included in Windows 7 SP1. I, too, have SP1 installed but had to install another hotfix addressing issues with system freezes manually.

Properties

Article ID: 2789397 - Last Review: March 13, 2013 - Revision: 3.0

Applies to

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
You wrote that the issue occurs with Firefox but not with IE. Does it occur also if you start Firefox in safe mode (without add-ons)?

I will report back about the safe mode in FF

I tried installing the hotfix you mentioned but it says not applicable for my computer

Hmm, I have just reinstalled Windows 7, did all the Windows updates, installed NOD32 8.0.304.0 and tested a few streaming videos on IMDB and YouTube and there was no stuttering or the usual buffering hangs I used to get before. that's on Cyberfox Browser (based on Firefox as well) with all my add-ons. So I guess somehow the issue is fixed.

PS: I will never touch Chrome or Opera, hate their interface so much, hate the fact that they have no WYSIWYG support for vBulletin 3 forums, and the list goes on.

All I care about now, is the issue seems to be fixed :)

Thank you very much for your support Marcos, at least I know that with NOD32 I do have support unlike other AVs I've used before

Edited by MaXimus

@Maximus

Could you try to open the AMTSO phishing test page, located here:

hxxp://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-phishing-page-intro.html

This is just to check if protocol filtering is working at all with Cyberfox. If you are able to open the link located at that page, then protocol filtering isn't working correctly with Cyberfox and that could be the reason why you are no longer experiencing any problems, now that you've switched from Firefox to Cyberfox.

Yeah could be worth a try.

But protocol filtering should work fine in all browsers.

Unless he have excluded Cyberfox from protocol filtering in the setup tree under "excluded applications"

He can also check that the checkbox for Cyberfox is marked under "web and email clients", though browsers should get marked automatically. All browsers I have tried always get marked automatically anyway.

But as he did a clean install I guess he haven't touched any of this.

He could do all 5 of the tests once he's at it (including Phishing): hxxp://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

Edited by SweX

@Maximus

Could you try to open the AMTSO phishing test page, located here:

hxxp://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-phishing-page-intro.html

This is just to check if protocol filtering is working at all with Cyberfox. If you are able to open the link located at that page, then protocol filtering isn't working correctly with Cyberfox and that could be the reason why you are no longer experiencing any problems, now that you've switched from Firefox to Cyberfox.

Is this what you mean bro?

post-1272-0-58778200-1415973514_thumb.png

post-1272-0-68624000-1415973659_thumb.png

Edited by MaXimus

Yeah could be worth a try.

But protocol filtering should work fine in all browsers.

Unless he have excluded Cyberfox from protocol filtering in the setup tree under "excluded applications"

He can also check that the checkbox for Cyberfox is marked under "web and email clients", though browsers should get marked automatically. All browsers I have tried always get marked automatically anyway.

But as he did a clean install I guess he haven't touched any of this.

He could do all 5 of the tests once he's at it (including Phishing): hxxp://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

Tried all the tests in Cyberfox and they all work and were blocked by NOD32.

As far as I know the beauty of NOD32 is it works across any browser without the need of an extension.

Additionally, all settings are at default in NOD32 haven't touched a thing. But as I said, the video streaming issue seems to be solved....I don't know what caused it in the past.... but I'm glad it works now