No Upgrade Notification

dougcouch
Go to solution Solved by novice,

My primary purpose in writing this topic is a complaint, and wondering why after many years with NOD32, I am not informed or prompted about a new upgrade. I upgraded to version 5 in 2012, and as recently as January 2014 when I renewed my license for 4 pc's, nothing ever made me aware that version 5 was no longer the latest version. Why is that?

I submitted a ticket almost a week ago about what I believe is a false positive on a download for an established software. Eset did not respond beyond the automated response. When I emailed them inquiring, they said it was a mess up in the ticket routine. Understandable, and they responded right away, requesting 3 log files with information on how to obtain each. In that response email, the first thing it did was inquire if I was using NOD32 version 8 yet. Well, uh...it seems a little late somehow to be asking me about version 8. What happened to informing me of version 6 or 7?

So okay, not the end of the world. I upgraded my pc to version 8 while pondering the puzzled look on my face.

Today, I went to my wife's laptop (her main computer) to do the same. On arrival at her laptop, I discovered on screen evidence that she had just installed and used Fast Again 2014 & FastFix123 to speed up her computer...because it has been slowing down horribly, presumably largely because of adware and similar. Wish she had asked more succinctly for assistance before plunking down $250 and hoping for the best. But I also wonder why so much is getting past NOD32?...or is it her willingness to trust and click? Despite the cost, unlike so many "cleaner" software and scams out there, this outfit seems to have some legitimacy, but I would appreciating hearing comments from Eset about whether that is the case or not (in forum or by email directly). She worked with them on the phone also, and was informed that Eset needed to have realtime protection...which I assume is in NOD32 (as I vaguely remember enabling what would seem to be the equivalent, and which my wife would not have a clue about disabling intentionally). I noticed on the tags for post categories on this forum, that realtime was listed.

And lastly, although I didn't report it on a ticket, I also bumped into a very difficult problem that got by Eset (although it may be that isn't Eset's fault). I was on a site that I trust, and one of their rotating ads fooled me into clicking (my bad). Turns out I allowed it to install a self-replicating adware on my pc. No matter how often I would delete it, it would pop right back up in one or several versions. Fortunately, I found an accurate fix that took me step by step through locating and eradicating all versions at once so it could no longer replicate itself. Although I count that one as my own fault, it still seems NOD32 might have noticed and notified about the content of that installation file before it installed...but then, was there a "file" per se to begin with, or just a stream of data from an online installation routine. Dunno. Some days the term "no brainer" takes on new meaning with me.

If there is no automatic notification of new versions, there should be, especially when renewing a license, etc. In the license email, there is a tiny link about what to do after renewing, the following of which takes me to a page that does not inform me in any obvious or direct way that I need a new version. Instead, if I then additionally follow a link to NOD32, I eventually end up at version 8, but still not obviated as something I need to do.

I guess what I want is a silver bullet. Nevertheless, if some of this could be addressed, I'd appreciate it. Some of this post is perhaps too vague and too late to address...

• Administrators

To make long story short - no vendor of software that is tightly integrated with the operating system releases automatic updates to a newer version as soon as it becomes available as a stand-alone installer. We care about our users' safety and don't want to expose them at risk caused by potential issues that might occur during or after a program component update (PCU). Optional PCUs are released with a certain delay when we are sure that no more-less severe issues are reported.

As for "Fast Again 2014 & FastFix123", I'd suggest submitting it to samples[at]eset.com in an archive protected with the password "infected". Maybe it's a potentially unwanted application or grayware that doesn't meet criteria for malware or PUA detection. Without analyzing the file, we can only speculate about it. Also if you encounter any malware or adware-related issue, feel free to contact the research lab at the above address.

Hello,

Wow, are you saying that she paid $250 for both of these "speed up" programs?

She could almost get a new computer for that kind of money.

I am not sure if your wife's notebook have ESET installed or not, or if the ESET install is unable to get rid of them due to not having the right detection categories enabled, or if ESET haven't added detection for them. But you can always run a scan with the ESET online scanner and be sure to enabled detection for both potentially unwanted and potentially unsafe during the short install process.

Go to this website with Internet Explorer www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup

(To run ESET Online Scanner in a browser other than Internet Explorer, you'll need to download ESET Smart Installer.)

If it doesn't find Fast Again 2014 and/or FastFix123 it will surely find something else that made her install these two in the first place. :)

You could also download Malwarebytes Free and run a scan to get a second opinion if you like.(also good for PUAs, PUPs and PUMs.) There are several more on-demand scanners one can try but let's start with these.

"If there is no automatic notification of new versions, there should be,"

You should get notified for newer versions if you enable "regularly check for latest product version" in the setup-tree under Update->Setup. But you will only be notified when the new version is available as a PCU update via the GUI, meaning not right after it has been made available for manual download on the website.

For example, V7 users that does have this enabled hasn't been notified about that V8 is available because it has not been released as a PCU update yet.

Edited by SweX

• Solution

For Marcos,

"No vendor ...releases automatic updates to a newer version as  soon as becomes available"

The OP had version 5 and did not get ANY notifications about version 6, 7 let alone 8, so is not about "as soon as becomes available".

We are talking about years, here!

For Marcos,

"No vendor ...releases automatic updates to a newer version as  soon as becomes available"

The OP had version 5 and did not get ANY notifications about version 6, 7 let alone 8, so is not about "as soon as becomes available".

We are talking about years, here!

Yes, but he only will get this notification when he manually check for a PCU update (respectively check what version he is using).

Like @SweX described there is also a possibility to activate an automatic check of this in the settings. (this setting isn't activated by default)

Another possibility is to go into the scheduler of ESS or NOD32. There you can also create a custom rule for this "product update check".

I also want to mention that I'm not averse to activate this setting by default or at least ask the user about this setting when installing.

Edited by rugk

Okay, a small update, because I found one more knowledgeable article about it.

Here is the short version of the text above:

1. The upgrade from one product version to another (e.g. from 7 to 8 or 7.0.302 to 7.0.317) won't run automatically for default.
  2. You can upgrade manually from the user interface (if - and only if - it was released as a PCU).
  3. There are several reasons why a/the new version isn't released (yet) as a PCU.
  4. You can configure your ESET product so that it checks automatically for this product upgrades.
  5. If it wasn't released as a PCU, you can always download the live or offline installer from the website and upgrade manually.

Related: Suggestion: Different product upgrade channels for ESET products

Edited by rugk

Hi rugk,

Thank you for your input in this issue!

As you can see, the OP is complaining about "No Upgrade Notification" and not about "upgrade not running automatically"

We understand the reason , but we prefer to be somehow notified , rather than going to ESET website every week to see "What's new?"

How difficult would be to have a notification " Version 8.xx has been released"? and leave it to the user to either install it or to continue with the old, familiar version.

Thanks!

Edited by novice

You get no notification, yes. And this is by design!

As Marcos said (one of) the reason(s) quite good in the post above:

To make long story short - no vendor of software that is tightly integrated with the operating system releases automatic updates to a newer version as soon as it becomes available as a stand-alone installer. We care about our users' safety and don't want to expose them at risk caused by potential issues that might occur during or after a program component update (PCU). Optional PCUs are released with a certain delay when we are sure that no more-less severe issues are reported.

Maybe you could be interested in that:

Suggestion: Different product upgrade channels for ESET products

Seems like you do not want to understand that nobody is talking  about "releases automatic updates" but rather a simply notification to let you know that a new version is available. 

What is "by design"??? the lack of any notification about a new version????

A simply notification doesn't mean that users will rush to install it, in fact I am always one version behind till the new one has all bugs ironed out.

But so be it, if you say so, it's by design!

What is "by design"??? the lack of any notification about a new version????

Yes! It will be released as a PCU later.

And please don't get personal!