ESET Antivirus on macOS Ventura block internet access entirely

pronto

Servus Community

I am just starting up the first Mac Mini with M2 processor and macOS Ventura and have installed ESET Antivirus version 6.11.606.0 and have now basically the same problem as when I started up the first M1 Macs with Big Sur or Monterey, that after the installation no internet worked anymore.

If I remember correctly, the problem at that time was an additional network adapter used by ESET to analyze traffic. Disabling the email and web protection then suppressed the problem until a bug fix was available from ESET. Now I have the same problem again but by the way no additional network adapter is created. I have now all options except the real-time protection deactivated and the network works again but a big red warning in the toolbar indicates the problem, what surly triggers some support tickets.

Will there be another bugfix or is the problem different? Ventura is not a new macOS anymore, if it is a bug a bug fix it should have been released long ago.

Thx & Bye Tom

• Administrators

Is there any reason why you are using an old version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus v6 and not the latest v7?

image.png

Could you try uninstalling v6 and installing v7 via ESET PROTECT?

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Is there any reason why you are using an old version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus v6 and not the latest v7?

No, the only reason I installed this version is that Google brought me to this page:

https://www.eset.com/de/business/download/endpoint-antivirus-mac/

This version was newer than the one we have been using, so I thought I was on the latest update channel. I did not know about a version 7. I'll take care of it tomorrow and let you know.

When you say why are you using an old version V6, that's confusing. In my Protect server, when I look at the status of a Mac system, it says "ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.11.606.0  Up-to-date version"  so that looks like we are on the latest version. Are you suggesting we upgrade to version 7 on Macs? Every time I've called into support and asked them about version 7, they say that most people are not using it and to stay on 6. Is that not the case?

Also, when updating to version 7 you mention uninstalling 6 first and then installing 7 - is that the recommended procedure we are supposed to use versus installing 7 over 6 (in place upgrade)?  thanks

Hi Marcos,

I have now found and installed version 7.2. You have hidden it well. However, I am still not much further. That the web protection is disabled has taken over the version 7 from the version 6 but I can not activate it in the version 7 now. The interface of version 7 does not have the possibility to display or change settings. With deactivated email and webprotection it worked in version 6.

But now I have a big fat red warning in the Protect console that the webprotection is disabled for the client. However, the web protection is also disabled in the policy. This should not trigger a warning and the clients with version 6, which have the same policy, do not get a warning either.

Some questions:

• Can version 7 no longer be configured on the client?
  • How do I get rid of the critical warning in the Protect console?
  • Do I need a new policy for version 7?

Thx & Bye Tom

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-16 um 10.59.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-16 um 10.57.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-16 um 10.57.24.png

• Administrators

V7 is meant to be primarily configured via ESET PROTECT. Future versions should bring support for configuring additional settings locally as well.

As for the application statuses reported after disabling Web access protection, you should be able to silence them in the Application statuses setup:

image.png

For v7 you must use the appropriate product policy:

image.png

Hi Marcos,

okay, I have now created a new policy based on a template for version 7. Do you have any possibility to take over the settings from another policy as far as possible? This has now taken me an hour to set up from scratch. Or have I simply overlooked this? I have also found no way to disable the firewall. Is that no longer possible or does it no longer exist?

Then I have the question, if I can place both policies on one folder (e.g. our default macOS organizational unit)? Do the clients then search for the policy that applies to them or do I have to create a new OU for this?

Thx & Bye Tom

• Administrators

I'm not aware of any official way of merging policies. This is usually not needed because in case of 2 or more policies when applied to a client, they are merged on the client. If you export the configuration to an xml then, it should contain settings from all policies that were applied.

You should see all policies applied to a client in client details -> Applied policies:

image.png

• 2 weeks later...