Create a Dynamic Group with specific computers.

Hello, I need some advice or guidance on how to create a dynamic group with specific computers in it. I have my systems in the "lost and found" folder. however i tried many times working on the dynamic groups templates and i am unable to achieve my objective. 

Objective: i want to create a dynamic group with specific computer like PC1, PC3, PC5 in Group 1. PC2 and PC4 in Group 2. by creating the group. at the left pane, i can see my dynamic group i created and click on it to see PC1, PC3, PC5. 

I had created the dynamic group templates. i tried using AND impression and ip address but it is not working. 

any experts or legends that can advice me pls?

Thanks !

• Administrators

Did you try an expression like this? Is there a reason why you don't want to move those workstations to specific static groups?

image.png

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

Did you try an expression like this? Is there a reason why you don't want to move those workstations to specific static groups?

image.png

Hello Marcos, 

Thanks for replying! 

I have a COTs product that was installed with ESET 8. By checking the settings and configuration stage by the manufactoring team, i notice the original product is grouped in dynamic groups. 

Now i intend to add systems that are supposed to be connected to this ESET 8 and i intend to group those device (PC1 to PC5) into different group. 

Tbh, i have no clear comprehension between using dynamic or static groups. do you mind enlightening me on the differences? or should i not use dynamic group and use static group instead?

• ESET Staff

Hello raccoon, here's great web page to explain concept and purpose of Groups : https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/10.0/en-US/admin_groups.html?admin_groups.html

Basically,

Static groups are handled by user - you choose which computers goes to which static group (be aware 1 computer can be member of only one static group)

Dynamic groups are handled automatically by agent based on some conditions (e.g. Windows dynamic group can have only windows computers because they fulfil the condition (win computers will appear in dynamic group automatically). Linux or Mac computers wont be displayed there because they do not fill up condition) 

For your case I would suggest to create Static group - e.g. "my_static_group_name" and move computers there by you .