Microsoft Defender question.

I have ESET Premium Internet Security with Win 11. I recently reinstalled ESET after new install of Windows. Since then, I get a lot of downloads from Microsoft “Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus”. Are these downloads necessary?

A couple of possibilities why MD is running when Eset is also installed:

1. You enabled MD's periodic scanning option via Microsoft Security Center -> Virus & Threat Protection -> Microsoft Defender Antivirus options.

2. It's related to MD's Tamper Protection:

4. Tamper Protection is turned on

One of the key components of Microsoft Defender is tamper protection.

The tamper protection feature in Windows security essentially protects your computer against external intrusion or any cyber attacks directed at whatever antivirus program you have installed. 

Even if you have an antivirus program installed, Windows Defender might automatically turn on when it detects an attempt to install malware or access data on your computer. 

Tamper protection is on by default and is available for most Windows Devices running Windows 10 or higher.

As such, any effort to either permanently disable or change the security settings in Windows 10 devices and higher may require you first to turn off tamper protection. 

The above is because even if you turn real-time protection off or disable the Windows Defender Firewall without first disabling tamper protection, chances are Windows Defender will automatically turn on.

https://computerinfobits.com/why-does-windows-defender-keep-turning-on/

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
44 minutes ago, VanBuran said:

Well I have tried everything suggested here and on Google, and I still get the downloads.

You cannot stop Defender from Updating , those Updates will be received along Windows Update files , and from Windows Update Service

I believe it keeps updating because it can be used as secondary scanner with ESET (not real-time) but as on demand scanner

I don't think it harms , let it update and even you can schedule it to run at different time or once per certain time to scan and give you a second opinion among ESET

These downloads only stated since I reinstalled Windows. I have a laptop and another desktop that do not download the updates.

16 hours ago, VanBuran said:

These downloads only stated since I reinstalled Windows

Did you actually reinstall Win 11 from scratch or did you perform the "Reset this PC" option?

You might find this posting illuminating: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-running-with-3rd-party-software/de0967b9-91fe-4cc1-9c82-b3bfdd0e3d0a . If you performed the "Reset this PC" option, I would uninstall Eset using its uninstaller tool: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool in Safe mode. Reboot PC. Then download the latest version Eset product you are using and install it. Hopefully, this will allow Eset to be properly registered in Microsoft Security Center as the active real-time AV solution with Microsoft Defender turned off. 

• Most Valued Members
17 hours ago, VanBuran said:

These downloads only stated since I reinstalled Windows. I have a laptop and another desktop that do not download the updates.

Indeed I was wrong , I doubled checked and they do stop , I remember seeing them for a while even when I had ESET installed.

Windows install was a new install from an ISO download. I reinstalled ESET after the win install was done and then imported the settings I had previously save into ESET. BTW, I am running per-release of ESET.

Yeah, this is expected behavior on a freshly installed Windows 11. But it bothers me also. So, I used "Defender Control" to turn off Microsoft Defender permanently which stops these updates. But Defender Control won't work with ESET already installed unless Defender's Tamper Protection was turned off prior to installing ESET. 

I don't know if there is any downside of using this, so do this at your own risk. 

59 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

I don't know if there is any downside of using this

The downside is if Eset malfunctions or is disabled/removed by malware, Microsoft Defender will automatically kick in as the device's real-time protection.

1 hour ago, itman said:

The downside is if Eset malfunctions or is disabled/removed by malware, Microsoft Defender will automatically kick in as the device's real-time protection.

True. But the chance of that happening is extremely rare.