NOD 32 program update.....question for Marcos

novice

As a "normal" user I do my due diligence to check for program update time to time.

What good it is to have a new version 7 released ( 7.0.325.0) as long as a typical user with 7.0.317.4 will get a query answering " ...is up to date"????

I was not even aware that version 8 has been released....how would I be???

In a logical approach, an user should get info about a NEW MAJOR version available when is checking for program updates.

Hopping that a regular user would come to ESET site, search for downloads and NOTICE that there is a new version available seems to be a little bit unrealistic.

Thanks! 

Edited by novice

• ESET Moderators

Hello, local resellers in many countries usually send their customers an email with the information of a new version release. This way the users are aware of the new version and can choose whether they want to install it. In your case I would recommend to contact ESET office in your country and make a suggestion to send this kind of email in the future.

Regarding the in-product update check, we do not want to rush things. We first wait to get feedback from users who updated manually and when there are no issues, we enable the update feature for the broad audience.

• Administrators

Neither Microsoft distributes service packs automatically via Windows updates shortly after they become available for general public for the very same reasons. Anyways, a PCU to v8 is imminent.

Hi TomasP,

Thank you for your answer!

I bought ESET NOD 32 from a store , here in Canada, so I do not expect emails from any local resellers.

What are you saying makes sense up to a certain point, but in this particular situation v 7.0.325.0 was released without notifications and , after that v8.0 was released . Is very unlikely now , that users with V 7.0.317.4 will get a notification about v 7.0.323.0 but most likely about new version v 8.

So v 7.0.325.0 will be skipped altogether , for v8. So, why the effort to release a new version as long as users will skip it anyway??

Getting email from sellers seems an artificial (and primitive!) way of getting info about program update; as long as this is built in , let's use it .

If I get a notification from a reseller and I install it is absolutely the same like getting a notification from the program itself and install it. I see no difference.

Thanks!

So v 7.0.325.0 will be skipped altogether , for v8. So, why the effort to release a new version as long as users will skip it anyway??

AFAIK, It is just released to be put on the website so anyone downloading it will get a version that no longer have any of the problems reported for earlier V7 builds, they haven't released a press release saying "we have now released a new build of V7, please update"  And since you can use any version from V3 -> V8 with your license it makes sense to release one final installer for V7 that have all reported problems fixed, as the previous V7 installer that was hosted on the website was older.

It is the same with V6 that can be downloaded from the website, it is not the first build of V6 that was released, but the latest public release that includes fixes for any problem reported for that version.

But if someone downloads 7.0.325.0, V6, V5 etc...and finds a problem, instead of reporting the problem to ESET it's better to download the latest version as the problem has most likely already been fixed.

You should get notified for newer versions if you enable "regularly check for latest product version" in the setup-tree under Update->Setup. But you will only be notified when the new version is available as a PCU update via the GUI, meaning not right after it has been made available for manual download on the website.

Edited by SweX