Disabling communication with ESET servers?

I have an activated installation of ESET Internet Security on which I've disabled scheduled updates, so the product currently does not update itself.  However, if I unplug the network cable, it will eventually show a notification that it not able to contact ESET servers.

Why is it trying to contact ESET servers if I've disabled scheduled updates, and how do I configure it not try to contact the servers?  What information is being sent back to the servers?

Also, the ESET GUI dashboard shows a warning that "My system may be at risk" presumably from having the scheduled updates turned off, which is fine, but this text is also shown as a notification whenever the system is rebooted.  How do I disable this specific notification without also disabling the warning inside the ESET GUI?

• Administrators

You cannot prevent ESET from communicating with ESET servers completely. Even if you disable updates, LiveGrid, Anti-Theft, etc., the product will try to connect to licensing servers in certain intervals. Regular updates are crucial for security programs and blocking Internet access for them  puts the machine at risk.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:08 AM, Marcos said:

You cannot prevent ESET from communicating with ESET servers completely. Even if you disable updates, LiveGrid, Anti-Theft, etc., the product will try to connect to licensing servers in certain intervals. Regular updates are crucial for security programs and blocking Internet access for them  puts the machine at risk.

But I've already disabled updates and LiveGrid, so that (and your admonition to always update) can't be the reason for the server contact.  So why does it need to contact servers with those disabled?

Even with the updates disabled, I see logs every 10 minutes saying "UpdPerformPicoUpdate".  What needs checking every 10 minutes, and what data is being sent to the servers?

Also, you didn't respond to my other question about how to stop the notification that "My system may be at risk" that appears after every boot.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, MrZork said:

Even with the updates disabled, I see logs every 10 minutes saying "UpdPerformPicoUpdate".  What needs checking every 10 minutes, and what data is being sent to the servers?

Those can be disabled here:

image.png

5 minutes ago, MrZork said:

Also, you didn't respond to my other question about how to stop the notification that "My system may be at risk" that appears after every boot.

You can disable the appropriate protection status at your own risk:

image.png

You can disable the appropriate protection status at your own risk:

image.png

But I don't want to disable that status in the ESET dashboard, I only want to disable it being sent as a notification to the desktop after a reboot, and I don't want to disable all notifications, just that one.

• Administrators

to disable it being sent as a notification to the desktop after a reboot

If you mean this toast notification, you cannot disable it without disabling the appropriate notification completely as shown above:

image.png