.Net 7 self contained winform launch slowly from a network folder

dpit

Simple .Net 7 winform apps start slowly from a network folder.

Pausing ESET protection allows the app to start immediately.

Being self contained there is significant unpacking when executing the app thus ESET would be busy, but launch can take 10 seconds. If I run the same self contained app from my C drive, there is no noticeable delay.

Is this a known problem/work in progress? Any advice please?

I have real-time file system protection enabled. In addition I have enabled: HIPS, memory scanner, exploit blocker, ransomware shield, IDS, botnet protection, web access, anti-phish, email client, antispam

Disabling it allows the app to immediately launch. Do you suggest this should be disabled for all or was this just proving the problem?

• Administrators

We recommend disabling scanning of network drives and install ESET on every device in the network instead for maximum protection and to avoid potential issues.

It always feels uncomfortable to turn down ESET.

Is it less risk if I add the network location as a performance exclusion, or disable scanning of network drives?

• Administrators

If you turn off scanning of network drives while ESET is installed on all computers in LAN, it's safer than not having ESET on all computers and rely on scanning of network drives.