Windows 11 Update KB5022360 issues with Eset Internet Security

Using 3rd party antivirus software causes slowdowns with kb5022360 update installed on Windows 11. Because Antimalware Servie Executible disabled with Eset products it causes major slowdowns. Anyone having problems with the said update?

Edited by tongucelik
type o

• Administrators

If you are experiencing the issue, does temporarily disabling protocol filtering or HIPS followed by a system reboot make a difference?

21 hours ago, tongucelik said:

Using 3rd party antivirus software causes slowdowns with kb5022360 update installed on Windows 11. Because Antimalware Servie Executible disabled with Eset products it causes major slowdowns.

Poster @SeriousHoax has noted in prior forum postings that Microsoft Defender real-time protection is supposed to run concurrent with third party AV solutions on Win 11. If Eset is disabling MD on Win 11, it shouldn't be doing so. However, this MD behavior is day 1 implementation behavior as far as Win 11 goes.

As such, KB5022360 installation has nothing to with the above. Here's a posting on KB5022360 changes: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/01/27/windows-11-kb5022360-22h2-released-heres-whats-new/ .

• Administrators
18 hours ago, itman said:

If Eset is disabling MD on Win 11, it shouldn't be doing so.

We don't disable Windows Defender but merely register to the Security Center and it's Windows itself that disables Windows Defender real-time protection then.

The only thing that has recently changed with Windows 11 update 22H2 is the addition of Smart App Control which continues to run after ESET has been installed.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

The only thing that has recently changed with Windows 11 update 22H2 is the addition of Smart App Control which continues to run after ESET has been installed.

To clarify, Smart App Control is only available on new Win 11 ver. 22H2 installations. If Win 11 was feature upgraded to ver. 22H2, it is not available or installed:

Smart App Control is only available on new Windows 11 installations. If you updated to version 22H2 from an earlier version, it won't be available to use.

The only ways around this are to reset or completely reinstall Windows 11.

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-smart-app-control-explain/

In an case, Smart App Control has nothing to do with KB5022360 which is a Win preview update to Win 11 ver. 22H2.

Edited by itman

BTW - here's @SeriousHoax posting in regards to MD's service always running in Win 11 22H2: https://forum.eset.com/topic/34550-windows-defender-still-running-after-install-of-eset-internet-security/?do=findComment&comment=159509

To additionally clarify, it appears Microsoft has set MD in Win 11 22H2 to run in periodic scanning mode. As such, Microsoft Security Center will show that Microsoft Defender real-time mode is off. However, the MD service, MsMpEng.exe, is loaded and started at system start up time.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, Marcos said:

If you are experiencing the issue, does temporarily disabling protocol filtering or HIPS followed by a system reboot make a difference?

I haven't tried it. Everything slows down so drastically, it's impossible to do anything with the update installed. Is smart app control has anything to do with the smartscreen? It might have been disabled on my system. 

2 minutes ago, tongucelik said:

Is smart app control has anything to do with the smartscreen? It might have been disabled on my system. 

Refer to this article: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-smart-app-control-in-windows-11.4996/ to determine if Smart App Control is installed and what its status is.

I also found this posting: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/01/30/windows-11-users-are-wrestling-with-yet-another-windows-update-installation-bug/ which indicates there are issues with Win updates overall on Win 11. Since HP was specifically referenced, the issue might affect those PCs the most.

You might review your Win update installation history to ensure all updates have been successfully installed.

To rule Eset out as the source of your KB5022360 update issues, temporarily uninstall Eset. If your performance issues persist, then Eset is not the source of these issues.

I have a very recent widnows 11 install with all the updates, most recent drivers, firmware etc properly installed. Tried restoring my Acronis backup after having issues with the update. And everything was fine until I install the update again. Uninstalled the update and everything went back to normal. I have a custom build desktop PC so I don't know if the issue with the HP applies here. Maybe I'll try removing Eset before installing the update and see how it goes. It's impossible to install or uninstall the stuff with the update installed. It literally takes at least 30-40 minutes for installer to start. 

You also might want to read this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixes-windows-11-issue-behind-remote-desktop-freezes/ .

The remote desktop fix is really the only major fix contained in the KB5022360 update. The bug also wasn't supposed to affect home users in the first place; possibly because RDP is disabled on Win 10/11 Home versions. However if you are running a Win 11 Pro or above version, you would be affected.

It could be that this RDP fix for some unknown reason is what is the source of your performance issues.

I uninstalled ESET Internet Security. Also used the Eset's command prompt utility to clean up leftover files. After rebooting Windows Defender was disabled and couldn't enable it. I tried re-installing it but it didn't work at all. I installed the Windows update anyway and got the same slowdowns. Now I have the windows update uninstalled and Eset Internet Securit installed and everything is working fine. I have to figure out a way to enable Defender properly. 

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, tongucelik said:

I uninstalled ESET Internet Security. Also used the Eset's command prompt utility to clean up leftover files. After rebooting Windows Defender was disabled and couldn't enable it. I tried re-installing it but it didn't work at all. I installed the Windows update anyway and got the same slowdowns. Now I have the windows update uninstalled and Eset Internet Securit installed and everything is working fine. I have to figure out a way to enable Defender properly. 

If your Windows installation have a problem try to open an admin CMD window and run

sfc /scannow

If it indicated some corruption , continue with this page :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Edited by Nightowl

Did that already, didn't help. Also tried "Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth". Tried couple of registry fixes about the services that refuse to run. Tried reinstalling windows security tools from programs menu and also through powershell. Nothing worked so far.

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, tongucelik said:

Did that already, didn't help. Also tried "Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth". Tried couple of registry fixes about the services that refuse to run. Tried reinstalling windows security tools from programs menu and also through powershell. Nothing worked so far.

sfc and dism shows that there is no corruptions ?

12 hours ago, tongucelik said:

After rebooting Windows Defender was disabled and couldn't enable it.

Since you tried to repair MD:

12 hours ago, tongucelik said:

I tried re-installing it but it didn't work at all.

Which I assume involved something along what is given here: https://www.lifewire.com/reinstall-windows-defender-in-windows-11-5546960 , one possibility is malware has disabled MD and there are multiple ones that do this.

Another possibility is Eset wasn't fully uninstalled. Did you run the Eset uninstaller tool in safe mode: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool ? If so, till MD fail to load in real-time mode upon subsequent boot into Win 11 normal mode?

• Most Valued Members
35 minutes ago, tongucelik said:

sfc showed some corrupted files and fixed them. Dism was free of errors.

After SFC saying it detected corruption and you've restarted and still WD cannot be enabled?