Recovering Cyber Security ESET from Time Machine

obilie

Dear Forumers,

I am writing my question here as I was not able to locate an answer to my problem.

Recently I clean installed Mac OS X Yosemite, hence my Mac is completely empty.

I have my Time Machine backup on my external hard drive - how do I recover ESET?

I opened the backup in the drive and copied the ESET CyberSecurity app into my apps folder but upon opening it nothing happened - there is just the short animation of the app transparently enlarging as it always happens upon opening an app. I suspect it's wrongly installed (if it is installed).

Any advice?

Moreover, I would like to take this opportunity to ask three more things:

1. How do I know if my license is still valid and hence ESET functions the way it should? I bought the license for two years and the time has passed as far as I know - yet when I looked at my ESET app before reinstalling my Mac and installing Yosemite, I noticed that it said "license valid until ___ 2015" - could it be?

2. I have no idea where is my old activation key, will I need it again?

3. FaceBook told me I have malware upon trying to log in - is this real? I am confident to say it cannot be since I have just very, very recently reinstalled the system and clean installed Yosemite. (How can they know?)

​4. Is ESET still the best choice? I have read Clam Xav is amazing for Mac, if not the best, with Avast! being slightly more successful at detecting a higher percentage of threats than ESET. (I think it was 97% vs. 98%)

Thank you in advance.

• ESET Moderators

I am only addressing numbers 1 and 2. 

Because you upgraded to Yosemite, the ESET application in your Time Machine is probably for the previous version and you should download and install the newest ESET Cybersecurity to ensure that it is the version compatible with Yosemite. Follow the instructions here to download and install:

How do I download, install and activate ESET Cyber Security? 

You only need the Activation Key once, after it's activated, you use the username and password to activate the product. So make sure you select "Activate using Username and Password" after installation. 

If you do not remember your license details, visit the Lost License page to have them resent to your email. 

• Most Valued Members

Because you upgraded to Yosemite, the ESET application in your Time Machine is probably for the previous version and you should download and install the newest ESET Cybersecurity to ensure that it is the version compatible with Yosemite. Follow the instructions here to download and install:

On top of what foneil said, it's not ideal to try to recover applications from Time Machine that required an installer (like Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and also ESET Cyber Security) because they normally have more files set up and configured outside of the Applications folder. Using their installers would be the best method.

With the Facebook message, it is a genuine message and they do have a help article on it. Because it is detected by what's happening on your account, I would suggest taking the time going through your messages you've been sending, your Activity Log (you can access it from your Profile) and also going through settings (click on the arrow on the top right, then click Settings) to check for any applications you have that you really don't need and to secure your account.

On top of what foneil said, it's not ideal to try to recover applications from Time Machine that required an installer (like Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and also ESET Cyber Security) because they normally have more files set up and configured outside of the Applications folder. Using their installers would be the best method.

With the Facebook message, it is a genuine message and they do have a help article on it. Because it is detected by what's happening on your account, I would suggest taking the time going through your messages you've been sending, your Activity Log (you can access it from your Profile) and also going through settings (click on the arrow on the top right, then click Settings) to check for any applications you have that you really don't need and to secure your account.

Thank you very much for the help, it really was helpful, I did not know that about TM files.

My FB account is, I believe, safe, i change my passwords often and use zero applications. Are you suggesting that it really is a genuine message meaning I do have malware? I checked their help section and, as far as I comprehend it, they think I may have malware because of the content I post - which is surprising to me since most of my posts are articles and news. Hence, I think it is just algorithm that evaluates this (e.g. the websites, links, etc.)

Thank you in advance

smiles

Edited by obilie

• Most Valued Members

Thank you very much for the help, it really was helpful, I did not know that about TM files.

My FB account is, I believe, safe, i change my passwords often and use zero applications. Are you suggesting that it really is a genuine message meaning I do have malware? I checked their help section and, as far as I comprehend it, they think I may have malware because of the content I post - which is surprising to me since most of my posts are articles and news. Hence, I think it is just algorithm that evaluates this (e.g. the websites, links, etc.)

If you use zero FB applications and you believe your Mac is not infected (you did do a clean install) then you are more than likely correct.  :)