Product is installed but it's not running

Servus Community,

since one or two months the ESET virus scanner does not start by itself after a reboot on any Windows server system. Neither on 2016 nor on 2019 or virtual machine or installed on metal sheet. A start of the service afterwards by hand goes without problems but when overlook this after a server reboot, there is no longer a virus scanner running.

The issue came suddenly out of the blue and affects all Windows server operating systems. Thank god no clients are affected. Does anyone know where this comes from and possible any fixes?

Thx & Bye Tom

• ESET Moderators

Hello @pronto,

the issue is being discussed at https://forum.eset.com/topic/34804-the-ekrn-service-failed-to-start-patch-tuesday-windows-updates/?do=findComment&comment=161941 

1 hour ago, pronto said:

Does anyone know where this comes from

On 12/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, Marcos said:

The update generates a lot of disk activity inside C:\Windows\WinSxS\Catalogs by Cl.dll checking file hashes (generates more than 20,000 file opens).

1 hour ago, pronto said:

possible any fixes

As you speak of Windows servers I assume that you have the ESET Server Security for Microsoft Windows Server deployed.

The latest 9.0.12017.0 has “IMPROVED: Protected antimalware service will not time out any longer during boot when Windows updates keep the file-system busy” so I recommend them to upgrade to it as they face the issue…

Peter

1 minute ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @pronto,

As you speak of Windows servers I assume that you have the ESET Server Security for Microsoft Windows Server deployed.

The latest 9.0.12017.0 has “IMPROVED: Protected antimalware service will not time out any longer during boot when Windows updates keep the file-system busy” so I recommend them to upgrade to it as they face the issue…

Peter

Servus Peter,

yes it affects the Server Security App. I have also just installed the first version 9.0.12017.0 on a server and restarted, then the virus scanner ran afterwards automatically. But I have not installed any updates before the restart.

Sorry for the new thread I opened with this.

Thx & Bye Tom

• ESET Moderators

Hello Tom,

20 hours ago, pronto said:

I have also just installed the first version 9.0.12017.0 on a server

Good, I recommend to upgrade at least those machines, which had the issue before.

The issue manifests only on the first reboot i.e. the one to finish application of the updates.
based on what we know, the changes in the new builds should address it.

20 hours ago, pronto said:

Sorry for the new thread I opened with this.

Not an issue, in might not be easy to find...

Peter