2 scans at the same time bug

• ESET Insiders

Eset performed 2 scans at the same time. I reported this during the beta test period, but nothing was done about it. I think maybe I see why Eset is performing two scans at the same time now. During the installation I left perform scan after installation ticked. After the installation completed Eset did not begin a scan right away. I actually rebooted 2 additional times after the installation had completed. I then decided to do a custom scan of my entire C drive since Eset had not began it's scan yet. I left the scan running, and about 20 minutes later when I came back NOD 32 was conducting 2 scans at the same time. I looked to see what type of scan Eset was conducting, and the other scan said "first Scan". I assume this is the scan Eset is suppose to conduct after the installation is complete. That is fine unless the user is already conducting a complete scan of their own. Eset needs to be able to detect if the user has already started a scan so that it does not start an additional scan. I don't think anyone wants to conduct 2 scans at the same time. Especially if they are conducting a full scan of their OS drive. Please make Eset not start an additional scan if the user has already started their own scan. Its a waste of resources, and it will only slow down the other scan.

post-1030-0-13452500-1414620436_thumb.jpg

Edited by cutting_edgetech

I don't think this is a bug, after install you can go into the scheduler and see the task job that is setup for the "first scan". I don't know exactly how many minutes after the install is finished that the first scan starts.

I believe the "first scan" is scheduled to make sure a scan is performed on the system so any infection can be cleaned, because far from all people does start their own scan like you do after install. And especially good in the cases where the users has switched to ESET from another product.

Personally, as I don't want the first scan to start based on the default scheduled task, I simply go into the scheduler and delete the task for the first scan after install. If you do that, then it will not start in the middle of your own custom scan.

So, unless you delete or uncheck the "first scan" task in the scheduler it will start scanning shortly after the install is done.  :)

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

If this is intended behavior then I would like to make a recommendation. My logic is that NOD 32 should still be able to detect when a scan is in progress, and not begin another scan at the same time regardless if it's ticked in the settings. It could at least wait until the current scan is done. It just seems silly to me.  I think this is something that could easily be remedied. No one wants to run 2 scans at the same time, and scan the same files. Just some food for thought.

"No one wants to run 2 scans at the same time, and scan the same files"

Yes I think we all agree about that. And if your recommendation is possible to implement then personally I can't see why not.