Eset Internet Security installation damaged & can't repair or uninstall?

I have a computer running Windows 10 Home that had an installation of Eset Internet Security probably version 16.x that is a general use office computer. I was going to do regular maintenance on this computer when I noticed that there was no tray icon for Eset and so I went to Control Panel / Programs and Features and attempted to do a repair install of the software. Any attempt to repair or uninstall the software results in this message "User installations are disabled via policy on the machine" however this computer is not part of a domain and group policy is not in use on it. I searched with Google and there are plenty of instances of people reporting this problem but none of the solutions provided seem to work, I used the stand alone log collector to get the logs and they are attached. How can I fix this and get Eset working again?

20230117_Charlene Eset.jpg

eis_logs.zip

5 hours ago, LesRMed said:

You might try this and then reinstall from scratch. https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool. Keep running it until it comes up clean.

I've had to do that in a couple cases over the last couple years but what worries me is the "User installations are disabled via policy on the machine" because I could end up not being able to reinstall because of that and I have to fix that first. Also if I fix that then a normal repair installation should work and not be blocked.

• Most Valued Members
On 1/18/2023 at 8:56 PM, Norm@Home said:

I've had to do that in a couple cases over the last couple years but what worries me is the "User installations are disabled via policy on the machine" because I could end up not being able to reinstall because of that and I have to fix that first. Also if I fix that then a normal repair installation should work and not be blocked.

Are you able to instal anything else? That would confirm if the issue is correct or possibly hint at an incorrect error.

If it is true then it sounds like there is a general issue with windows on the machine 

16 hours ago, peteyt said:

Are you able to instal anything else? That would confirm if the issue is correct or possibly hint at an incorrect error.

If it is true then it sounds like there is a general issue with windows on the machine 

I tried installing Notepad++ and I had no problem so whatever the issue is it's restricted to Eset fyi Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.2486 so how can I determine what the actual problem is and fix this?

On 1/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, LesRMed said:

Per this referenced Eset knowledge base article, did you run the Eset uninstaller tool in Win 10 Safe mode?

Also, have you password protected the Eset GUI?

Edited by itman

• Administrators

The repair option is unavailable for security reasons. You can upgrade to a newer version or uninstall the existing one. You have version 14.2, newer versions offer config export and remove options only:

image.png

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The repair option is unavailable for security reasons. You can upgrade to a newer version or uninstall the existing one. You have version 14.2, newer versions offer config export and remove options only:

image.png

I noticed he is also getting the error if he uninstalls instead of repairs but unsure if this is eset related as it mentions policy

20 hours ago, peteyt said:

I noticed he is also getting the error if he uninstalls instead of repairs but unsure if this is eset related as it mentions policy

That's the thing I don't understand, I used GPEdit to check the policy key that controls that User Installations Disabled and it wasn't configured and I set it to disabled anyway and it made no difference.

23 hours ago, itman said:

Per this referenced Eset knowledge base article, did you run the Eset uninstaller tool in Win 10 Safe mode?

Also, have you password protected the Eset GUI?

No not yet, I wanted to see if there was first a way to repair this first and I usually associate this kind of error with malware activity. Btw I've run Malwarebytes and the Eset online scan and haven't turned up anything.

• Administrators

Please see my answer above - repair is not supported for security reasons. Uninstall ESET and install it from scratch please.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please see my answer above - repair is not supported for security reasons. Uninstall ESET and install it from scratch please.

The requester mentioned he gets this if he uninstalls as well.

I think doing an uninstall in safe mode might be the best option as it could be a borked installation 

Do this.

1. Remove existing Eset installation using Eset uninstaller in Win Safe mode. Instructions on how to do this are here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool?ref=esf .

Note: Prior to performing the Safe mode uninstall if you have modified Eset settings from their default values, Export your existing settings.

2. Go to Eset offline installers web site here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products and download your specific Eset product.

3. Install the Eset product you downloaded in step 2.

4. If you previously Exported your previous Eset installation settings, you can Import those into your new Eset installation.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, peteyt said:

The requester mentioned he gets this if he uninstalls as well.

I think doing an uninstall in safe mode might be the best option as it could be a borked installation 

I'll give it a try but Eset has been installed and working for years when this problem started, my biggest concern it what I mentioned above. Suppose this problem represents Malware or virus activity despite the scans coming back negative, I remove Eset and then can't reinstall because I'm still getting this message that leaves me with a virus infected computer with no anti-virus software.

43 minutes ago, Norm@Home said:

I remove Eset and then can't reinstall because I'm still getting this message that leaves me with a virus infected computer with no anti-virus software.

After uninstalling Eset in Safe mode and upon PC reboot, Microsoft Defender will auto start and be your active real-time AV solution until Eset is reinstalled.