files/folders cannot be changed from "read only"

d3adfish

so i have a pretty big music collection that i keep on a traditional hard drive.  normally everything works as usual.   well a recent folder that i've added for some reason when i try to open it it takes forever while it's populating all the track titles, artist, etc.  seemed weird because normally it they open relatively fast.  so i did a couple defrags, still doiing it. 

so i was digging and come to find out, under properties, like everything on that hard drive is "read only" now.  so i tried unchecking it, apply, ok, over and over on different folders and it sometimes it acts like it's doing something then i check it and it's still read only.

searched for causes and one of them is it could be a from ransomware protection or some other form of A/V so that's why i'm here wondering if ESET has anything to do with it or knows why that's started happening.  thanks, J

• Administrators

ESET should not block files unless detected. I assume that neither pausing protection nor temporarily uninstalling ESET would make a difference, could you confirm?

• Most Valued Members
17 hours ago, d3adfish said:

so i have a pretty big music collection that i keep on a traditional hard drive.  normally everything works as usual.   well a recent folder that i've added for some reason when i try to open it it takes forever while it's populating all the track titles, artist, etc.  seemed weird because normally it they open relatively fast.  so i did a couple defrags, still doiing it. 

so i was digging and come to find out, under properties, like everything on that hard drive is "read only" now.  so i tried unchecking it, apply, ok, over and over on different folders and it sometimes it acts like it's doing something then i check it and it's still read only.

searched for causes and one of them is it could be a from ransomware protection or some other form of A/V so that's why i'm here wondering if ESET has anything to do with it or knows why that's started happening.  thanks, J

Are you able to open the files?

Normally ransomware encrypts the files and also changes their extension. I've personally not heard of ransomware that would make files read only but not encrypt them but I could be wrong

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Are you able to open the files?

yes, i can open them fine, i was wondering if it's ransomware >protection< that is making them read only? like as a way to protect them? 

i was just googling what would make files read only and not be able to revert to non-read only and it said it could be a/v or ransomeware protection thats making them like that.  and i thought seeing something about them adding some type of ransomware protection in the latest version of eset so that may be the cause?   

never had this issue before.  so basically my whole hard drive now is read only and can't be changed.  edit: i haven't tried messing with it with eset disabled yet but maybe i should try that?

edit 2: my OS and programs are on a seperate SSD and i just checked and they are all marked "read only" too.  so something weird is def going on.  

Edited by d3adfish

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

ESET does not change attributes of existing files.

ok so i think i may have figured it out.  it may be related to a part of windows defender called "controlled folder access" but being i'm using eset i can't even get to that page to change the setting. 

back in the win 7 days i use to be able to go in and disable the eset service and cancel the startup program to boot w/out eset protection so maybe windows defender would kick in but now it won't let me disable the service.  i've gone into advanced settings and disabled "protected service" and "self defense" and rebooted but i still can't disable the eset service.  is there any way to do that without uninstalling?

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

In order to activate Defender, you must disable real-time protection

ok that allowed me to activate defender but "controlled folder access" was already disabled. (which is their ransomware protection) so i still have every folder on my computer marked as "read only".    guess i'll keep digging and update here if i figure it out.  

18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

In order to activate Defender, you must disable real-time protection:

ok, just for craps and laughs i just went and checked my moms computer which i also have ESET installed on and all the folders on her PC are also marked as "read only" too which is now got me really intrigued. 

so i'm gonna take it that the newly added eset ransomware protection has nothing to do with it because that's what you told me earlier,  but i just thought maybe you or some other users could do a quick check and see if the folders on you guys pc's are showing "read only" too???  just in case it's normal eset behavior now.  thanks, J

Edited by d3adfish