ESET Passive-Quiet Install to include PUA detection?

Go to solution Solved by tmuster2k,

Does anyone know a way to include PUA detection when doing a Passive-Quiet install of ESS or Nod32?   with the command of :  msiexec /i ess_nt64_enu.msi /qb!  which is basically an unattended install of ESET, it does not include PUA detection and ESET LIVE grid is greyed out and cannot be toggled on or Off so I am not even certain that LIVE grid is enabled. I even created a config file that includes both PUA and LIVE grid and placed in same folder as MSI and did not work. Is there a different way to configure this or did I use the wrong Switch or MSIEXEC command?  

• Former ESET Employees

Hello tmuster2k

Try /unwanted

Also take a look at our ESET Command Line Scanner Parameters article for more info. 

the install won't even start when you add that command of   /unwanted        

My apologies tmuster2k I misunderstood you. Are you using remote administrator?

I think not - this topic is in the part ESET Smart Security. However if you want to automatically install this in a company, I suggest you to use the business products of ESET.

However he doesn't wants to run a scan (where you're answer would be correct) he wants to install the msi file of ESS.

And more accurate he wants to do a silent install where PUA detection and ESET LiveGrid are activated automatically.

So now to my answer.

Basically you can type in msiexec /help in a cmd window e.g. and have a look at all the commando line parameters for the Windows installer. There is also a commando line list available online.

post-3952-0-06617100-1414575327_thumb.png

You can e.g. run the install with a /passive switch, so it will only display it's status and the other things will run automatically.

Now about the settings you want to configure. I haven't tested the installation in this passive or quiet mode, so I can't promise you that I'm right.

• About ESET LiveGrid: I think this is should be activated automatically, because in the normal install mode it is activated by default too.
  • About PUA detection: This might be a difficult thing, because in the normal install mode the user will be asked whether he wants to activate this detection or not (nothing is pre-selected/default). So I don't know what option will be activated in the passive install.

Maybe you can try to install the MSI with the /passive or /quite. And please provide us with a screenshot if an option "is greyed out" or you have to select something else.

Also keep in mind that ESET will maybe just use the configuration/settings from the previous installation, so when ESET is uninstalled you might be delete the registry keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET", so that all settings will be deleted.

If you're running a 64-bit system don't forget the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESET"!

Especially be careful when deleting something in the registry. I can't provide you any warranty that this all works fine. You do this at your own risk. Only do it when you know what you're doing.

Hello tmuster2k

Try /unwanted

Also take a look at our ESET Command Line Scanner Parameters article for more info. 

Yes. Home version only .. ESS and Nod32 is not a business product.

• Former ESET Employees

Hello tmuster2k

Try /unwanted

Yes. Home version only .. ESS and Nod32 is not a business product.

Just thought I'd ask just in case (you never know). I agree with RugK that ideally you would be using our business products for this but if that isn't an option I would try what RugK has suggested while we work on getting you a definitive answer. This is a GREAT question by the way and we appreciate you working with us.

• ESET Staff

For what you are attempting to do, you will need to create a configuration file.  I have attached a configuration file which has only the 2 options you are looking for.  To use it, just place it in the same folder as the .msi you will be using.  Do not rename the file, it must be named "cfg.xml"

Please note that the attached cfg.xml will only work on Home Editions of ESET and has only been tested on Home v8 but should work on Home v4 and newer products.

If in the future you would like to make your own configuration file, you can use the following steps to create your own configuration (These steps are can be pretty tricky so please use at your own risk):

1. Install ESET and do not change any settings

2. Export the settings from "Setup > Import and Export settings" and save as "default.xml"

3. Make the configuration changes you desire in the ESET GUI

4. Export the new settings from "Setup > Import and Export settings" and save as "altered.xml"

5. Use your favorite comparison program to compare the files (I prefer Notepad++ with the "Compare" plugin) and locate the items which changed (In Notepad++ they will be highlighted in green)

6. Now comes the tough part, delete the extra settings while preserving the structure of the xml.

The above steps are what I did to create the attached configuration.  When creating it, I did create a bad config first as I accidentally deleted one of the closing sections of the xml and overlooked that it was missing when I first tested.  There is a lot of room for human error when making your own configs.  On could just use the configuration file from step 4 and name it "cfg.xml" but this can lead to unintentional problems.  For example, exporting a config from Smart Security and importing it to NOD32 will add firewall rules to your NOD32 install.  These firewall rules wont work as NOD32 doesn't have a firewall, but I have seen where adding settings which do not exist, lead to undesired results.

cfg.xml

• Solution

For what you are attempting to do, you will need to create a configuration file.  I have attached a configuration file which has only the 2 options you are looking for.  To use it, just place it in the same folder as the .msi you will be using.  Do not rename the file, it must be named "cfg.xml"

Please note that the attached cfg.xml will only work on Home Editions of ESET and has only been tested on Home v8 but should work on Home v4 and newer products.

If in the future you would like to make your own configuration file, you can use the following steps to create your own configuration (These steps are can be pretty tricky so please use at your own risk):

1. Install ESET and do not change any settings

2. Export the settings from "Setup > Import and Export settings" and save as "default.xml"

3. Make the configuration changes you desire in the ESET GUI

4. Export the new settings from "Setup > Import and Export settings" and save as "altered.xml"

5. Use your favorite comparison program to compare the files (I prefer Notepad++ with the "Compare" plugin) and locate the items which changed (In Notepad++ they will be highlighted in green)

6. Now comes the tough part, delete the extra settings while preserving the structure of the xml.

The above steps are what I did to create the attached configuration.  When creating it, I did create a bad config first as I accidentally deleted one of the closing sections of the xml and overlooked that it was missing when I first tested.  There is a lot of room for human error when making your own configs.  On could just use the configuration file from step 4 and name it "cfg.xml" but this can lead to unintentional problems.  For example, exporting a config from Smart Security and importing it to NOD32 will add firewall rules to your NOD32 install.  These firewall rules wont work as NOD32 doesn't have a firewall, but I have seen where adding settings which do not exist, lead to undesired results.

You guys kick . Thank you very much.  ESET 4 LIFE