A question about Threatsense Parameters

Hello, Today while reading an ESET article on Threatsense Parameters, I saw this: "changing parameters to always scan runtime packers," What does it mean? Does Threatsense Parameters always scan the selected places like the screenshot below?

Screenshot_20221227-233352_Chrome.jpg

Note: This was a post on the Site for the ESET Endpoint edition, but Does this apply to ESET Smart Security Premium as well?

The ThreatSense parameters are specifically optimized for each module, and their modification can significantly influence system operation. For example, changing settings to always scan runtime packers, or enabling advanced heuristics in the real-time file system protection module could result in a slower system. Therefore, ESET recommends that the default ThreatSense parameters stay unchanged for all modules except Computer scan.

https://help.eset.com/eea/8/en-US/idh_config_advanced_amon.html?idh_config_threat_sense.html

Edited by itman

4 hours ago, itman said:

Ok I'm talking about that too, here is a snippet of the threatsense part of real-time filesystem protection that I've shown you, when I turn it on, it will always scan for runtime packers and other things I open, like real-time filesystem protection, or is it just talking about always scanning in computer scan? @itman

Eset handles runtime packers scanning via its Additional Threatsense scan settings. See the below screen shot. There is no need to enable it in the base ThreatSense scan settings unless you wish to degrade overall system performance.

Eset_Packers.thumb.png.9e9e581eeb0469b9d71130107d6dcd90.png

1 hour ago, itman said:

Eset handles runtime packers scanning via its Additional Threatsense scan settings. See the below screen shot. There is no need to enable it in the base ThreatSense scan settings unless you wish to degrade overall system performance.

Eset_Packers.thumb.png.9e9e581eeb0469b9d71130107d6dcd90.png

As I have shown in the screenshot below, it is included in the threatsense parameters, but? Are we talking about different things? @itman

config_threat_sense.png

3 minutes ago, just said:

Are we talking about different things?

Err ..... yes we are. Open Additional ThreatSense Parameter settings as my screen shot shows.

2 minutes ago, itman said:

Err ..... yes we are. Open Additional ThreatSense Parameter settings as my screen shot shows.

1. What happens when I turn it on in additional threatsense settings?

2. What happens when I turn on runtime packers in the normal threatsense parameters settings? @itman

Some strong advice here.

Unless you thoroughly understand Eset's protection mechanisms, leave Eset settings at their default values. With this said, I am done with this thread.

Edited by itman

3 minutes ago, itman said:

Some strong advice here.

Unless you thoroughly understand Eset's protection mechanisms, leave Eset settings at there default values. With this said, I am done with this thread.

I'm just asking you if we open Threatsense or additional threatsense settings to scan runtime packers, or any other place, does it always scan? I don't understand why you left all of a sudden. @itman

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders
On 12/28/2022 at 6:02 PM, just said:

Can you help me please? @Minimalist 

Hi, I just saw this question now.

You can enable/disable runtime packers scanning in real-time file system protection settings or in scan options settings. I don't know which option you are asking about.

Anyway defaults are OK so you don't need to change anything.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:18 PM, Minimalist said:

Hi, I just saw this question now.

You can enable/disable runtime packers scanning in real-time file system protection settings or in scan options settings. I don't know which option you are asking about.

Anyway defaults are OK so you don't need to change anything.

Hello No problem.

I'm talking about the place I marked in the screenshot below. If I enable the places I specify here, will ESET continuously scan the places I have enabled, like real-time file protection, without background scanning? @Minimalist

Here is the screenshot I'm talking about:

config_threat_sense.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just saw this.  Enabling the options there will cause those objects to be scan when they are accessed.  So, it would not be a continuous scan, but rather when any attempt to access the Boot Sector or UEFI, or accessing a file that has been runtime-packed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 1/19/2023 at 8:02 PM, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

Just saw this.  Enabling the options there will cause those objects to be scan when they are accessed.  So, it would not be a continuous scan, but rather when any attempt to access the Boot Sector or UEFI, or accessing a file that has been runtime-packed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello, no problem

So even if we open the places I have shown in this screenshot, won't the threatsense parameters always scan them like real-time file protection scans computer files (game files, etc.)? @Aryeh Goretsky

• Most Valued Members
On 1/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, just said:

Hello, no problem

So even if we open the places I have shown in this screenshot, won't the threatsense parameters always scan them like real-time file protection scans computer files (game files, etc.)? @Aryeh Goretsky

As mentioned they are scanned when something accesses them

10 minutes ago, peteyt said:

As mentioned they are scanned when something accesses them

Look, you can scan it, I'm not asking

when i choose that location you real-time file protection game files etc. I'm asking if the threatsense parameters scan the selected places constantly as it scans the places

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, just said:

Look, you can scan it, I'm not asking

when i choose that location you real-time file protection game files etc. I'm asking if the threatsense parameters scan the selected places constantly as it scans the places

From what was mentioned above with threatsense parameters if it's enabled for something e.g. BIOS Eset will scan it when something accesses it. Not constantly.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:55 PM, peteyt said:

From what was mentioned above with threatsense parameters if it's enabled for something e.g. BIOS Eset will scan it when something accesses it. Not constantly.

So threatsense parameters can't replace real-time file protection? @peteyt

• ESET Moderators
On 1/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, just said:

So threatsense parameters can't replace real-time file protection? @peteyt

As shown on the screenshot below, the Threat sense parameters for the Real-time filesystem protection are being configured here.
As advised before, the settings are configured for a optimal balance between performance and security for the general usage. So I recommend to keep them in the defaults.

Peter

• Administrators

Since everything has been said and explained and to prevent the discussion from circulating in a loop which is against this forum rules, we'll draw this topic to a close.

• Marcos locked this topic