Eset blocks pasting

Hi.

I'm using eset smart security.

Eset starts to block pasting to the browsers after last update.

Since there was an eset update recently, I thought this might be due to eset. After uninstalling esest, the problem fixed. Then I reinstalled and the problem occurred again.

The problem occures when I paste a long text to textareas or browser console.

I've checked settings and tried to disable some modules but it doesn't affect.

Is this a bug? Or is there a setting?

I need your help.
Thanks

#edit

I found the problem and attached ss. When I disable it, the pasting works. Can someone explain that option please?

eset.png

Edited by Alper

• ESET Staff
3 hours ago, Alper said:

Hi.

I'm using eset smart security.

Eset starts to block pasting to the browsers after last update.

Since there was an eset update recently, I thought this might be due to eset. After uninstalling esest, the problem fixed. Then I reinstalled and the problem occurred again.

The problem occures when I paste a long text to textareas or browser console.

I've checked settings and tried to disable some modules but it doesn't affect.

Is this a bug? Or is there a setting?

I need your help.
Thanks

#edit

I found the problem and attached ss. When I disable it, the pasting works. Can someone explain that option please?

Hi Alper, I don't think that application protocol filtering can block pasting from clipboard. Please try to go to Setup > Security tools and disable Secure all browsers.

image.png

Let me know, if it helps

Thanks

1 hour ago, constexpr said:

Please try to go to Setup > Security tools and disable Secure all browsers.

I don't believe the issue is due to the Secure all browsers option in Banking & Payment Protection setting. I often copy text within Firefox from one web page and paste it to another w/o issue.

More detail from the OP is needed. Is the copying for example, being done from a file using another app such as Notepad with that text attempting to be pasted into a web page field? Also, what browser are you using when this issue occurs? Are you using some third party app for copy/paste activities rather than like browser based options?

However, I often copy URLs and text to a Notepad file, then later copy that data into Firefox without issue.

Edited by itman

• ESET Staff
6 hours ago, itman said:

I don't believe the issue is due to the Secure all browsers option in Banking & Payment Protection setting. I often copy text within Firefox from one web page and paste it to another w/o issue.

More detail from the OP is needed

Definitely it's just first tip, but there is a mechanism to block paste from clipboard (under certain conditions) in secured browser. That's why I need to know, if it helps.

I found it by trying one by one. It is the "Enable HTTP protocol checking" option that is causing the problem.

Not the secure browser option.

eset.png

23 hours ago, itman said:

More detail from the OP is needed. Is the copying for example, being done from a file using another app such as Notepad with that text attempting to be pasted into a web page field? Also, what browser are you using when this issue occurs? Are you using some third party app for copy/paste activities rather than like browser based options?

However, I often copy URLs and text to a Notepad file, then later copy that data into Firefox without issue.

Hey itman. I've tried with chrome, firefox and edge. All were the same. When I copy a text, I was able to paste any place except browsers. But this only happened with long texts. There was no problem with the shorts. OS: windows 10.

1 hour ago, Alper said:

I was able to paste any place except browsers. But this only happened with long texts. There was no problem with the shorts. OS: windows 10.

I couldn't duplicate your issue when copying a multiple paragraph document into a new posting in this forum.

Again, are you using browser's and/or Win 10 built-in copy/paste feature or are you using something else to copy/paste data? Also, where are you copying and pasting data from? Is it a cloud based source such as Google drive or the like?

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

I couldn't duplicate your issue when copying a multiple paragraph document into a new posting in this forum.

Again, are you using browser's and/or Win 10 built-in copy/paste feature or are you using something else to copy/paste data? Also, where are you copying and pasting data from? Is it a cloud based source such as Google drive or the like?

completely natural copying. there are no plugins. I mean all browsers though. very simply, I can paste a small text from notepad or anywhere. but it doesn't paste a long text (eg 250 words) to the browsers. but I can still paste it anywhere in windows. I realized that it might be from eset, as this happened after your new version came out (browser security feature). And I found that the following feature is causing it.
Enable HTTP protocol checking

HTTP protocol scanning should have nothing to do with paste activity in the browser. Also as far as I am aware of, this issue has never been posted to date in the forum,

When faced with weird Eset behavior like this, it might be best to uninstall and reinstall Eset and see if the issue goes away. If you have made changes to Eset default settings, make sure you export your existing settings prior to uninstalling Eset. You can then import those settings into Eset after it is reinstalled.

• ESET Staff
17 hours ago, Alper said:

completely natural copying. there are no plugins. I mean all browsers though. very simply, I can paste a small text from notepad or anywhere. but it doesn't paste a long text (eg 250 words) to the browsers. but I can still paste it anywhere in windows. I realized that it might be from eset, as this happened after your new version came out (browser security feature). And I found that the following feature is causing it.

So what did you do to fix the problem? Did you turn off Banking and Payment protection, or only Secure all browsers? When did the problem occur? When you paste some code, or also when you copy-paste news/raw text from notepad?

3 hours ago, constexpr said:

So what did you do to fix the problem? Did you turn off Banking and Payment protection, or only Secure all browsers?

As the OP posted previously, he disabled HTTP protocol scanning:

21 hours ago, Alper said:

And I found that the following feature is causing it.

As I posted, this as the source of the paste issue makes no sense. More so since it appears HTTPS protocol scanning is still enabled.

Edited by itman

On 12/23/2022 at 12:22 AM, itman said:

HTTP protocol scanning should have nothing to do with paste activity in the browser. Also as far as I am aware of, this issue has never been posted to date in the forum,

When faced with weird Eset behavior like this, it might be best to uninstall and reinstall Eset and see if the issue goes away. If you have made changes to Eset default settings, make sure you export your existing settings prior to uninstalling Eset. You can then import those settings into Eset after it is reinstalled.

It happened after last update. Pasting worked when I've uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled it and eset blocked pasting again.

On 12/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, constexpr said:

So what did you do to fix the problem? Did you turn off Banking and Payment protection, or only Secure all browsers? When did the problem occur? When you paste some code, or also when you copy-paste news/raw text from notepad?

I've disabled the "Enable HTTP protocol checking" option to fix it. Others didn't work. The pasted texts were anything. It happened only with long texts.

On 12/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, itman said:

As the OP posted previously, he disabled HTTP protocol scanning:

As I posted, this as the source of the paste issue makes no sense. More so since it appears HTTPS protocol scanning is still enabled.

When you turn off HTTP, HTTPS will be turned off automatically.

Are you running Win 10 or Win 11?

As I posted previously, I can't duplicate the issue on Win 10. Also, I have Win 10 Clipboard History feature disabled; might be why I am having no issues.

There are a lot of web postings about Clipboard History issues in Win 11.

Edited by itman

12 hours ago, itman said:

Are you running Win 10 or Win 11?

As I posted previously, I can't duplicate the issue on Win 10. Also, I have Win 10 Clipboard History feature disabled; might be why I am having no issues.

There are a lot of web postings about Clipboard History issues in Win 11.

It is win10 x64

6 hours ago, itman said:

All I can suggest at this point is you open a support request via Eset GUI like option.

I though here is the best place to inform it. Anyway I've disabled it. so I'm using eset without HTTP protocol checking

1 hour ago, Alper said:

Anyway I've disabled it. so I'm using eset without HTTP protocol checking

This isn't recommended since Eset's primary Web Access protection is HTTP protocol checking.

On 12/26/2022 at 1:07 AM, itman said:

This isn't recommended since Eset's primary Web Access protection is HTTP protocol checking.

As a result, there is no solution yet. I use it this way.

eset.png

Have you checked the Eset Filtered websites log for any blocked entries related to your paste activities?

Edited by itman

On 12/27/2022 at 2:58 AM, itman said:

Have you checked the Eset Filtered websites log for any blocked entries related to your paste activities?

It is empty.

5 minutes ago, Alper said:

It is empty.

So what exactly happens when you attempt to paste sizable previously copied text into a web page? Nothing? That is the browser just ignores the paste activity with no popup/alert that the paste activity failed?

Sorry, I can't keep track this post. I think I have given enough information. There is a problem and I disabled the one that caused it.

6 hours ago, VW00 said:

What are you pasting? Or it happens with any text?

Anything copied. It's probably detecting a length of text. Your software developer can probably fix the problem with this much information.

• Administrators

It's strange that disabling http checking make a difference because it's actually Banking and payment protection that has this feature and protocol filtering doesn't affect outbound communication. Perhaps we could start off by providing two sets of ELC logs, one with the appropriate setting disabled and the other with the setting enabled. Create logs by enabling advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support. After each round (enable/disable the setting), collect ELC logs and put a remark in the file name so that it's clear which logs were collected when the issue occurred.

Interesting PC Magazine article related to this issue:

Instead, this comes down to a quirk of how the data is made available on the clipboard by Windows. The data can either be transferred directly to the clipboard or "clipboard delay-rendering" is used.

Chen explains: "Instead of putting the data on the clipboard, you say, 'If anybody asks, let me know, and I’ll produce the data.' This is known as clipboard delay-rendering, and it is a common optimization for data formats that are rarely used or expensive to produce."

When data stored using the clipboard delay-rendering technique is requested, Windows allows 30 seconds for that data to be returned in the correct format. If it isn't, the request is abandoned and the action returns a NULL value instead.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-explains-why-windows-clipboard-fails-to-copy-data-sometimes

Assuming Eset protocol filtering is involved in these large clipboard transfers which I still find hard to believe, is it enough to push Windows over the 30 sec. threshold?

Edited by itman