The ekrn service failed to start / Patch Tuesday Windows Updates

• ESET Moderators

Hello @karsayor and @st3fan,

I apologize for the confusion.
We ere checking it internally and it seems that the statement 
"In order to speed up the process and receive update right after the web/repository release administrators can use "Check for updates" button available in the application GUI." is not correct 😞 

The Auto-updates will be available on February 13, before that manual upgrade would be required.

3 hours ago, karsayor said:

Also, is there a way to trigger the Auto-Update/uPCU  with a task from management console ?

Such task is planned to be added to the ESET PROTECT console.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 12:58 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @karsayor and @st3fan,

I apologize for the confusion.
We ere checking it internally and it seems that the statement 
"In order to speed up the process and receive update right after the web/repository release administrators can use "Check for updates" button available in the application GUI." is not correct 😞 

The Auto-updates will be available on February 13, before that manual upgrade would be required.

Such task is planned to be added to the ESET PROTECT console.

Peter

Could please advise if the installation of the newer version to mitigate the service not starting issue will require a reboot or can be supressed without stopping real-time scan until it does?

Just need to know before I deploy it to 1000's of servers 

Thanks

Stephen

• ESET Moderators

Hello @SteephenG,

as my colleague @Marcos stated before

For sure deployment to such fleet of servers needs to be done gradually and with caution.

I recommend to upgrade it on the servers, which had the issue before first.

If you won't upgrade all the ESET installations before the patching, I recommend them to monitor them via the ESET management console and start the ESET service by a command, if the issue occurs.

Is there a task within the console to restart the service? I had several servers not connected to the console before patching, so I was thinking they will reconnect after reboots. Now the service on those servers not connected will not restart or stop manually (they are running). I can confirm that the servers that were connected before this patching, reconnected after patching. I will attempt the agent live installers to repair those, but curious if there's a work around in the future?

• Administrators

If ekrn is not running, you can start it from the ESET PROTECT command by sending a Run command task with the command "net start ekrn".

• 2 months later...

I see that ESET Server Security 9.0.12017.0 has the specific update for this issue: 

IMPROVED: Protected antimalware service will not time out any longer during boot when Windows updates keep the file-system busy

But does version 10 of Server Security experience this issue? I don't see a similar improved item on the latest changelog notes of 10 (10.0.12010.0)

thanks

Edited by MarkR

• Administrators

No, v10 is not affected. It contained dlls signed by ESET from the very beginning while the dlls had to be replaced in v9 installers.