ESET Cyber Security 7 BETA for macOS with completely new architecture is available

• ESET Moderators

For anyone interested in trying ESET Cyber Security for macOS 7 BETA, we have good news to share – it’s ready for the BETA testing.

The first release comes with features, which are most important for the protection as this version is based on a completely new architecture. Next features will be added gradually with new releases.
This new generation is built on new, modern micro-services architecture which will enable us to develop new features faster and makes code maintenance much easier.

The features which we would like to highlight are:

• Apple ARM chip native version
  • Completely new GUI with Dark mode
  • Significantly improved performance (more efficient code, improved multithreading, offloading of unused modules)
  • Improved security and stability
  • A lot of under-the hood and user facing improvements

Known issues:
App preferences are not yet available, even though they are mentioned in the GUI

Generally we would like to verify the product’s stability and performance in real-life usage. Please focus your testing on:
1. Ability to install / uninstall the product (including the activation and ability to allow the  system extensions)
2. Protection i.e. Detections
3. Appearance of the GUI and work with it
3. General usability and performance during your daily work
4. Verify how it behaves with 3rd party products, especially like VPNs, XSAN disks, various cloud apps which you use

If possible, it would be great if you can try the scenarios described below in your environment and let us know how it went.

1. Install and activate the product.
  2. Allow the system extensions
  3. Try to download the Eicar anti-malware test file to make sure the Detections are working
  4. Check statuses of settings in Protections section
  5. Try to run an On-demand scan
  6. Check the visuals in the product i.e. if all icons, texts, buttons and links are displayed visually correctly, try to resize the product window.
    Try different languages in the product if you understand them, and check visuals with them.
  7. Uninstall the product and check if there are any components left
  8. Reboot the system
  9. Install the product back and observe the behavior of the system during your daily work with it
  10. In case of any issues, please report your findings via a ticket for our support engineers to check

The BETA installer is available at https://forum.eset.com/files/category/10-eset-cyber-security-7-beta/
Supported macOS releases are macOS Ventura (version 13), macOS Monterey (version 12), macOS Big Sur (version 11), macOS Catalina (version 10.15).
As usually, by downloading and using the ESET Cyber Security 7 BETA you agree with the ESET_Beta_Program_Agreement, which is available to read along the installer download.

We are looking forward to your participation and feedback,
Peter on behalf of the teams involved

1+2, install is fine. 1 can see 2 system extensions, namely eset cyber security and eset real time file system protection. are more extension foreseen ? activation is done but the gui says it is not activated. icon option(s) are quite limited (at the moment, i presume). see screens (Peter, PM). detection engine cannot be updated. need to double check/reboot needed. eicar detection(s) are not working (engine not updated?) 4, auto-updates were not on per default. 5, on demand scan looks ok. i do not own a malware collection=no test(s). 6, links are workings (help, knowledge, support). en version installed. 10, is feedback here ok ? 

reboot coming.

thanks eset.

thanks Peter.

for your information, version 7.3.1300.0

macos 13.0.1.

m2

edit;

reboot does not help.

product cannot be activated (free trial does not work either).

detection engine cannot be updated.

Edited by sesk

eicar com.zip

and eicar com2.zip are detected. again, detection engine is not up to date.   ///   eicar.com and .txt are not detected. chrome 108.0.5359.98. regarding the license, log files says, "a computer with the same name already exists on this account." 6, top of the gui is cropped on full mode (Peter, PM). 

case #00465496

Edited by sesk

"operating system updates available" is working (ventura 13.1). it is just still there once the update is done (?!). edit, it is gone. +/-5min latency.

citrix workspace is working. (4. Verify how it behaves with 3rd party products...)

Edited by sesk

Update,

product could be activated (licence) and all modules are now up to date.
eicar com and txt still does not trigger the antivirus. only zip versions are blocked. tested on safari and chrome.

1. Install and activate the product.
    - Some deinstallation issues of the current released version as the deinstallation program did not quit the running services well. Repeated several time and was able to install. 
    - Activation issues but since retested today it works
    - update issues but since retested today it works

- license is used, but the device not visible in my.eset

2. Allow the system extensions 
    Worked although not nicely guided

3. Try to download the Eicar anti-malware test file to make sure the Detections are working 
    Works. com, txt and the packaged versions are detected when downloaded as a file. 
    Also tested phishing pages (non HTTPS) via phishtank and it gets blocked. HTTPS filtering seems not yet implemented.

4. Check statuses of settings in Protections section
    Status OK. But not much to test. I found also no way to go into any detail setting.
    Log files are sorted to the wrong category: E.g. "computer scan" shows entries for the malware alerts. Events show entries for computer scans. "Filtered websites" shows entries for general events, and "sent files" entries for the web filter.

5. Try to run an On-demand scan 
    Works although the full system scan takes long (but d

6. Check the visuals in the product i.e. if all icons, texts, buttons and links are displayed visually correctly, try to resize the product window.
    Try different languages in the product if you understand them, and check visuals with them.

7. Uninstall the product and check if there are any components left 
    not tested 

8. Reboot the system
    not tested

9. Install the product back and observe the behavior of the system during your daily work with it
    not tested

10. In case of any issues, please report your findings via a ticket for our support engineers to OK

8 minutes ago, bEeReE said:
  1. Try to download the Eicar anti-malware test file to make sure the Detections are working 
    Works. com, txt and the packaged versions are detected when downloaded as a file. 
    Also tested phishing pages (non HTTPS) via phishtank and it gets blocked. HTTPS filtering seems not yet implemented.

Quarantine seems to work as well. But when restored, malware is not detected any longer when the file is opened. Don't know the expected behaviour.

Edited by bEeReE

hi bEeReE

it is written in Peter's post;

Known issues:
App preferences are not yet available, even though they are mentioned in the GUI

scan time looks similar to V6. i cannot complain.

about eicar tests, does non zip files give you a pop-up alert? or are the texts just displayed in your browser, no alert ? i only have an alert on zip files. Peter, what is the expected behavior ? please clarify.

Edited by sesk

• ESET Moderators

Hello @sesk,

thank you for trying it out and providing us with a comprehensive feedback.

As you mentioned multiple issues / observations/ let's try to tackle them one by one to keep an overview.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, sesk said:

are more extension foreseen

If the new features will require them, they will be added.

detection engine cannot be updated.

Glad to hear that it was a temporary glitch and got sorted.

eicar detection(s) are not working

We tried to reproduce it in-house and the eicar.com, eicar.com.txt and eicar_com.zip detections were working.
Issue with the  eicarcom2.zip might be that real-time protection may not scan archives / scan the only to certain level of nesting, due to performance reasons.

4, auto-updates were not on per default.

O.K. those are not planned to be used in the BETA

is feedback here ok ?

Yes, thank you very much for such comprehensive feedback.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, sesk said:

eicar com and txt still does not trigger the antivirus. only zip versions are blocked. tested on safari and chrome.

That is a bit strange as our observations were different, see above.

Peter

Peter

44 minutes ago, sesk said:

it is written in Peter's post;

Known issues:

scan time looks similar to V6. i cannot complain.

about eicar tests, does non zip files give you a pop-up alert? or are the texts just displayed in your browser, no alert ? i only have an alert on zip files. Peter, what is the expected behavior ? please clarify.

Ok got it.

Yes, it is similarly detected to the zip files. But you cannot just click in the browser. This way it is displayed as a web page which is not detected due to the missing HTTPS scan. You will have to right click and download the file.

Edited by bEeReE

understood and confirmed (2 fingers click+save does trigger the antivirus). thanks for your feedback bEeReE.

regarding log files, i cannot confirm. it is fine on my system. 

also i did check light and dark mode, it is working fine too.

• ESET Insiders

Great to read about the ESET Cyber Security 7 BETA - Pro? - for macOS has been released. As I'm still on macOS 10.14 (Mojave) on cMP 5.1 (mid-2012) I would love to see some screen caps, just for the look and feel of the new - darkmode - GUI of this new version.

ESET_Cyber_Security7beta_macOS_10_14.png.002ebf03e79e9007bb59d03bdc94a5ff.png
I might even upgrade to 10.15 Catalina just for it...

A few main menu screens would be much appreciated! 😎

/m4v3r1ck

Edited by m4v3r1ck
typo

hello m4v3r1ck

both mojave (10.2021) and catalina (09.2022) reached end of life. i see no good reason not to use ventura. is it not available on your 2012 system ? big sur ? it is still supported, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history. eset beta looks stable to me. u could build your own opinion and help community by giving feedback.

• ESET Insiders
On 12/17/2022 at 11:39 AM, sesk said:

hello m4v3r1ck

both mojave (10.2021) and catalina (09.2022) reached end of life. i see no good reason not to use ventura. is it not available on your 2012 system ? big sur ? it is still supported, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history. eset beta looks stable to me. u could build your own opinion and help community by giving feedback.

Thank you very much sesk,  for reaching out to me.

Yes, my cMP 5.1 (mid-2012) is only compatible to update to the also yet EOL Catalina (09.2022) version of macOS. Shall think about updating to 10.15. Time moves fast lately... 😉

Keep you posted.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @bEeReE,

thank you for the detailed feedback provided, appreciated.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:48 PM, bEeReE said:

- license is used, but the device not visible in my.eset

Can you please check if it showed up later? 

HTTPS filtering seems not yet implemented.

I can confirm that the secured protocols scanning is not yet implemented in this version.

Log files are sorted to the wrong category: E.g. "computer scan" shows entries for the malware alerts. Events show entries for computer scans. "Filtered websites" shows entries for general events, and "sent files" entries for the web filter.

Can you please provide a screenshot showing it?

Peter

2 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @bEeReE,

thank you for the detailed feedback provided, appreciated.

Can you please check if it showed up later? 

I can confirm that the secured protocols scanning is not yet implemented in this version.

Can you please provide a screenshot showing it?

Peter

Hi @Peter Randziak

Here we go: 

• It is now visible in my.eset. Had to delete old device / licence which was not possible last time
  • Screenshots for logging: Maybe just a translation error from English to German?

Verschickte Dateien = Sent Files --> But contains entries from web filter

image.thumb.png.33278ea8ee952967640ae4b5172046cd.png

Computer-Scan --> but contains entries from on-access scanner

image.thumb.png.94cdee46dceb2dfd23e2887ecaf327ea.png

Ereignisse = Events --> but contains entries from the on-demand scanner

image.thumb.png.a9f991c2498b2137083a2e7ecb73c3db.png

Gefilterte Webseiten = Filtered websites --> but contains general events like updating the engine or activating the product

image.thumb.png.93208d2193179c73b3af94327776c30c.png

Regards!

Edited by bEeReE

• ESET Moderators

Hello @bEeReE,

22 hours ago, bEeReE said:

It is now visible in my.eset.

good, thank you for the confirmation.

22 hours ago, bEeReE said:
  • Screenshots for logging: Maybe just a translation error from English to German?

Thank you, maybe it was shifted during the localization process 🙂, I will report to have it checked.

Nice spot indeed.

Peter

(P_EECSM-3968)

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Last night I was busy catching up with the state-of-the-art Apple macOS...

10Years_Anniversary_MP5.1_2012-2022_macOS_12.6.2_Monterey.png.82436d0cc63dea922f86acf11841cedc.png

Hope to join the beta-team for macOS soon.

Have a splendid 2023 and cheers to all ESET Team & Insiders / BETA testers on these forums.

/m4v3r1ck 😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators
On 12/21/2022 at 4:08 PM, bEeReE said:

Is it planned to include Live Guard in v7?

We plan to add features with the new releases, but the Live Guard probably won't be available soon i.e. this year...

Peter 

found that issue (might be the installer or from upgrading over stable), the bug breaks network connections have to remove the proxy (it will prompt to add it back on each reboot if it is not there)

Also the eicar test .zip is detected when the .zip is opened but the .zip is not picked up by the real time scanner.

A deep scan of / was much faster with the beta (about 38 minutes vs shy of an hour).  

Edited by Chas4

• ESET Moderators
7 hours ago, Chas4 said:

found that issue (might be the installer or from upgrading over stable), the bug breaks network connections have to remove the proxy (it will prompt to add it back on each reboot if it is not there)

I would recommend to uninstall the v.6, reboot the system and install the BETA. 

7 hours ago, Chas4 said:

If such happened, we would like to have it checked. Can you please file a ticket with the logs to have it checked, if possible?

Glad to hear that the scanning performance has been improved for you.