Can Antivirus' Advanced threat protection Access Boot Sectors?

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, just said:

But then again, real-time file protection cannot access the boot sectors, since you said you can only scan it.

It's exactly the opposite. If real-time file system protection could not access boot sector it wouldn't be able to scan it. Since it can access boot sector it can scan it. So "scanning" and having access to is "the same".

File system protection is protecting your system by scanning data. That's it's main purpose.

Edited by Minimalist

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, just said:

I have UEFI on my computer, but I'm not sure if it's using UEFI mode. @Minimalist

Instruction to check it out:

Step 1: Press Windows + R to bring up Run window.

Step 2: Input msinfo32 and click OK button to open System Information.

Step 3: Click System Summary from the left list and go to the right pane to check the BIOS Mode. If it shows Legacy, it means you are using BIOS boot mode. For UEFI mode, it will display UEFI directly.

Source: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/uefi-vs-bios.html

1 hour ago, Minimalist said:

It's exactly the opposite. If real-time file system protection could not access boot sector it wouldn't be able to scan it. Since it can access boot sector it can scan it. So "scanning" and having access to is "the same".

File system protection is protecting your system by scanning data. That's it's main purpose.

Well, it's accessing then, but real-time file protection doesn't?

1 hour ago, Minimalist said:

I know this too, my system is UEFI, but I know that UEFI feature can be lost with a virus or an intervention on the motherboard. @Minimalist

• ESET Insiders
20 minutes ago, just said:

Well, it's accessing then, but real-time file protection doesn't?

Real-time file protection is performed by accessing and scanning data. So we are talking about one thing not, two or three.

23 minutes ago, just said:

I know this too, my system is UEFI, but I know that UEFI feature can be lost with a virus or an intervention on the motherboard. @Minimalist

If your are worried, download an update from your manufacturer's site and update it so you can be sure to have a clean one. If you don't know how to do it ask someone who knows how to do it.

Since we are going in circles and I doubt I'll be able to answer your questions, I will stop responding to this thread.

Have a nice day.

41 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

Gerçek zamanlı dosya koruması, verilere erişilerek ve taranarak gerçekleştirilir. Yani bir şeyden bahsediyoruz, iki ya da üç değil.

Endişeleniyorsanız, üreticinizin sitesinden bir güncelleme indirin ve güncelleyin, böylece temiz olduğundan emin olabilirsiniz. Nasıl yapılacağını bilmiyorsanız, nasıl yapılacağını bilen birine sorun.

Dönüp dolaştığımız için ve sorularınızı yanıtlayabileceğimden şüpheliyim, bu başlığa yanıt vermeyi bırakacağım.

İyi günler.

So ESET's real-time file protection system can access boot sectors and detect threats there, and that's DEFINITELY right? @Minimalist