EEI | Product not activated (Topic last mentioned on March.)

Hi again
I am getting a rise in computers not activating EEI
the commonality of all computers are Mac platform. 

I reported the issue back in March: 

I see the same error I saw back then in the logs. 
and was told 1.9 will fix it. 
Can I get any update or info on what this will be fixed and if there's a workaround to fix it for the time being?

This is impossible to product reports week after week with a rising number of computers that have a "Product not activated" status.
It looks so SO bad.

Thank you

23 minutes ago, OdoArdTus said:

Are you using HTTP Proxy or ESET Bridge?

If so, turn it off. I've had a lot of these stations myself.

After disabling ESET proxy everything worked fine.

That's not a valid option mate, 
Most of the stations are not in the office network, and ESET is not open to the world. 
So there must be a proxy. 
If I turn it off, I'm losing connection to all computers, some of them never connect to the office network at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone with any updates?

I was finally able to install v1.9 and I'm not seeing any improvement. A new EI Connector install (not an upgrade) on OS X with license file specified simply fails now.

According to task history, all steps appear to succeed but then fails in the end. EI Connector is not reported as installed on any of the devices.

Another FYI; if I perform a new/clean EI Connect install on OS X without the license file specified, the task reports successful completion, yet the product never appears as installed.

So it appears that with the new 1.9 version, I'm unable to install EI Connector on new OS X systems.

This is definitely a step backwards.

I actually wanted to update this post. as I made some progress. 
This is OSX issue only - 
Basically I remove all ESET products from the machine + delete /Library/Application Support/ESET/* folder completely.
(this removes caching and such) 

Restart the machine. 
Install EEA7, make sure it's all done + updates
Install EEI 1.9 without a license. 
It finishes successfully, and surprisingly doesn't report activation error. (I did receive a message it returned after a while to 2 out of the 8 machines I installed like that) but seemed like it cleaned off from one of these 2. 

@j-gray @eab

@avielc Thanks for the update. Sounds like confirmation that the licensing functionality for OS X is still broken.

What's odd to me is that I can't install the connector on OS X systems without it already installed (e.g. new install), either with or without the license file. These are all EP v6 systems, though.

I think it might be worth trying to go EA7
and I did notice some agents (v10 now) failed to report installed ESET products properly, had to reinstall those \ delete the object from EP to get it refreshed

• ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray,

On 1/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, j-gray said:

I was finally able to install v1.9 and I'm not seeing any improvement. A new EI Connector install (not an upgrade) on OS X with license file specified simply fails now.

According to task history, all steps appear to succeed but then fails in the end. EI Connector is not reported as installed on any of the devices.

On 1/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, j-gray said:

Another FYI; if I perform a new/clean EI Connect install on OS X without the license file specified, the task reports successful completion, yet the product never appears as installed.

So it appears that with the new 1.9 version, I'm unable to install EI Connector on new OS X systems.

This is definitely a step backwards.

Sad to hear that 😞.
Can you please provide me with the logs so I can check it with the devs?

Peter

@Peter Randziak; Welcome back -hope you had a relaxing break!

I think a good part of the activation issues are due to a bug associated with one of our cases, #00291733. I wasn't given a bug number for reference or tracking, however. Reportedly, ESET support was able to reproduce the issue and attributed it to EEI Agents on OS X "do not support licenses".

So in our case, for AV v6 any Connector upgrade reports failed (but succeeds) if the license file is included in the task. Additionally, any new install reports failed if license file is included in the task. This has been the case with multiple versions, including 1.9.

I believe the activation issue with AV v7 has been fixed, but still need to to more testing on that front.

Let me add to that point. 
(i’m only partially available due to long COVID and loads of work. 
Completely removing eea/ees with fresh install of v7 and the deploying eei 1.9 without license (activation separately. Only worked for a short amount of time of about 2-3 days. And the. The product is not activated again. 
I do not have time to diagnose it unfortunately too many projects at hand. 
but this is the still ongoing for v1.9/V7 

hope this helps. I assume it can be easily reproduced by QA support. 

thanks again. 
Aviel. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

On 1/10/2023 at 5:20 PM, j-gray said:

Reportedly, ESET support was able to reproduce the issue and attributed it to EEI Agents on OS X "do not support licenses".

I can confirm that EEA/EES 6 for macOS does not have the EI/EEI licensing module implemented.
Glad to hear that you were able to find the cause of the issue with the support team.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:20 PM, j-gray said:

I believe the activation issue with AV v7 has been fixed, but still need to to more testing on that front.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
Peter

• ESET Moderators
On 1/10/2023 at 7:03 PM, avielc said:

(i’m only partially available due to long COVID and loads of work. 

Sad to hear that, I hope it will get better soon.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:03 PM, avielc said:

Completely removing eea/ees with fresh install of v7 and the deploying eei 1.9 without license (activation separately. Only worked for a short amount of time of about 2-3 days. And the. The product is not activated again. 
I do not have time to diagnose it unfortunately too many projects at hand. 
but this is the still ongoing for v1.9/V7 

hope this helps. I assume it can be easily reproduced by QA support. 

I spoke with our EI support guy, one colleague reported that EPv 10 (Win), EI 1.9 a ESM 7 works fine.
So I assume we would need ECP logs from your case, if you will have time you may enable the ECP logging and provide us with the log once the issue manifests so we can check it.

The guy told me that tomorrow he will get a new MacBook so he will play with it...

Peter

Thanks Peter,
Definitely not fun to have all kinds of exhaustions out of nowhere. 

About EI. 
EPv10 works as usual, so I didn't see anything related to that being affecting EI or EEAv7

Regarding logs, I'm having issues with that. 
I can not have it done on an employee's computer. 
and I will need to have ECP logging enabled for 2-3 days running on a demo machine that won't be doing any tasks, so I can't tell if I can reproduce it. 

I hope he can play with it and reproduce it easily, if he needs more steps from me to reproduce it, please let me know. 

@j-gray - if you mind sharing your findings on that workaround. 

Edited by avielc

4 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

I can confirm that EEA/EES 6 for macOS does not have the EI/EEI licensing module implemented.
Glad to hear that you were able to find the cause of the issue with the support team.

@Peter Randziak The OS X license module bug was discovered last January, a year ago. I'm guessing that there are no plans  to fix the bug in v6.

We're slowly upgrading OS X to EPv7, but that brings its own set of issues and we have 800 clients, so it will be a slow process.

3 hours ago, avielc said:

About EI. 
EPv10 works as usual, so I didn't see anything related to that being affecting EI or EEAv7

and I will need to have ECP logging enabled for 2-3 days running on a demo machine that won't be doing any tasks, so I can't tell if I can reproduce it. 

I hope he can play with it and reproduce it easily, if he needs more steps from me to reproduce it, please let me know. 

@j-gray - if you mind sharing your findings on that workaround. 

We have not made the jump to EPv10.

I'm having difficulty keeping up with all the updates and patches across two platforms (Windows and OS X), EP and EI servers, clients, agents and connectors. It's also difficult to troubleshoot support issues when versions keep changing.

• ESET Moderators
22 hours ago, avielc said:

Definitely not fun to have all kinds of exhaustions out of nowhere. 

I was very exhausted too, but luckily it got better quickly. I hope it will start to improve on your side too...

Enabling ECP logging even on production machine shouldn't be an issue.
It logs just the communication of the endpoint with the licensing authority, it communicates rarely and the xml files are very small.

We will see, but to be honest I'm afraid it won't be so easy to reproduce. If it would I assume the QA had noticed it...

• ESET Moderators
18 hours ago, j-gray said:

@Peter Randziak The OS X license module bug was discovered last January, a year ago. I'm guessing that there are no plans  to fix the bug in v6.

We're slowly upgrading OS X to EPv7, but that brings its own set of issues and we have 800 clients, so it will be a slow process.

Well as you said as the priority is the v7 development.
With the EEA/EES for macOS the EI should work even if it reports issues with licensing.

Naturally it takes time to upgrade such fleet, especially on multiple platforms.

18 hours ago, j-gray said:

I'm having difficulty keeping up with all the updates and patches across two platforms (Windows and OS X), EP and EI servers, clients, agents and connectors. It's also difficult to troubleshoot support issues when versions keep changing.

The Auto-updates should make it much easier to maintain.

Peter