ESET Smart Security Version 8 Has Been Released Worldwide

• Administrators

ESET is proud to announce version 8 of ESET Smart Security in all available languages.

Key features available in version 8:

• Botnet protection: Brand new technology that protects against infiltration by botnet malware to prevent spam and network attacks detected in outbound traffic from your computer. Botnet protection searches outgoing network communications for known malicious patterns, and matches the remote site against a blacklist of malicious ones. Any detected malicious communication is blocked and reported to the user. Click to view a screenshot.

• Enhanced Exploit Blocker: Protects against attacks on web browsers, PDF readers, Office documents, as well as Java communications and Java-based software that provides the ability to eliminate lockscreens and ransomware.

• ESET SysRescue Live: The next generation of the ESET SysRescue utility, ESET SysRescue Live allows you to create a bootable disk, in the form of a USB flash drive or CD/DVD, with the ability to scan and clean your system even when you cannot boot into Windows. ESET SysRescue Live is a Linux-based malware cleaning tool that runs independent of the operating system from the ESET Smart Security retail CD (North America only).

• HIPS Smart mode: Only suspicious system events trigger a notification beyond the set of pre-defined rules in Automatic mode (operations such as system registry, active processes and programs).

• ESET Cybersecurity Education (North America only): New Cybersecurity Education introduces a more interactive and game-like approach to training. This replaces the previously named ESET Cybersecurity Training (note: the new name change is not reflected in the UI yet).

For more information including purchasing and downloading the product, visit the ESET product pages at the following links or contact your local reseller, distributor or ESET office:

ESET Smart Security

Existing ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security users can upgrade to version 8 for free. To upgrade to version 8, please download the installer from ESET's download page and install it over an older version (upgrade via GUI will be available later).

Related:

For further descriptions of current and new features in ESET products, visit the ESET Technology web page.

Before anyone say that they can't update, the product doesn't find the new version etc etc...I think it could be worth to mention if users will be able to upgrade via the in-built updater in the GUI right away or not? 

I see someone have edited the #1 now.....

Existing ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security users can upgrade to version 8 for free. To upgrade to version 8, please download the installer from ESET's download page and install it over an older version (upgrade via GUI will be available later).

Edit: And is any of the recently reported problems with build 301. fixed in this new release?

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

Edit: And is any of the recently reported problems with build 301. fixed in this new release?

I'm not aware of any issues with v8 that wouldn't concern modules. Could you please provide more details about v8 issues that are not caused by modules? (especially the Internet protection module)

The high ram usage for example. I have no idea if it can be fixed by a module update or not. But now when you say like that then I assume it is connected to a module and can be fixed by a module update  :D

I'm not aware of any issues with v8 that wouldn't concern modules. Could you please provide more details about v8 issues that are not caused by modules? (especially the Internet protection module)

• Administrators

The high ram usage for example. I have no idea if it can be fixed by a module update or not. But now when you say like that then I assume it is connected to a module and can be fixed by a module update  :D

I saw somebody reporting that Internet protection module 1154B solved the issue :)

I saw somebody reporting that Internet protection module 1154B solved the issue :)

That's great, I am currently on IPM 1152B. :)

You don't mention how we get IPM module 1154B, is it included in the new build, on pre-release servers or?

Also, shouldn't this thread be a sticky as every release thread?

I'm on pre-release and received IPM module 1154B yesterday (20141021)

Great! Cheers for that. ;)  I will enable pre-release and see if it solves it for me too.

Nope, IPM 1154B did not fix the high ram usage for me, 208mb right now.

• Administrators

My assumption was merely based on the feedback from users that I saw. However, today I ran into the changelog for module 1156B which had this fix explicitly mentioned. Do you remember cancelling http communication (download) before you noticed the increased memory usage?

My assumption was merely based on the feedback from users that I saw. However, today I ran into the changelog for module 1156B which had this fix explicitly mentioned. Do you remember cancelling http communication (download) before you noticed the increased memory usage?

Oh I see, I thought it was more or less confirmed to be fixed in 1154B. :)

Yes, I checked the ekrn.exe ram usage 5-10 seconds after I closed my browser to find out if it would be normal or not. 

That sounds great, will 1156B be put on the pre-release servers soon?

Cheers.

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

Internet protection module 1156B is now available on pre-release servers. To fix existing leaks, it is important to restart the computer after update.

Let us know if it eventually solves the issue for you.

I've been hanging out to upgrade to v8 for several weeks now but with issues being reported, I've decided to hold off 'til it becomes available via the gui --- I reckon by that stage all will have been sorted and nervous nellies like me can upgrade without fear and eset will continue smelling like a rose :)

honestly, I'm a huge fan of eset and I recognise that new builds will have issues; I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with them...

:)

• Administrators

I've been hanging out to upgrade to v8 for several weeks now but with issues being reported, I've decided to hold off 'til it becomes available via the gui --- I reckon by that stage all will have been sorted and nervous nellies like me can upgrade without fear and eset will continue smelling like a rose :)

honestly, I'm a huge fan of eset and I recognise that new builds will have issues; I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with them...

:)

Basically I'm aware only of some web protection issues that have already been fixed in the latest Internet protection module 1156B.

noted :)

k, so something went wrong with that post!

repeat now:

noted :) and thanks swex for the input - I reckon for me it's still the best option to wait for the gui upgrade :)

Edited by BellaBoo

• 5 weeks later...

repeat now:

noted :) and thanks swex for the input - I reckon for me it's still the best option to wait for the gui upgrade :)

...did you upgrade via gui? (and Happy Thanksgiving by the way... :D)

Edited by TomFace

repeat now:

...did you upgrade via gui? (and Happy Thanksgiving by the way... :D)

oh hello tom :) my good friend and happy thanks giving to you too!

at this time i am working off my old XP that i went to great pains to clean instal prior to microsoft closing it off on their books --- i installed Bitdefender and mozilla when my Win7 [see my sig] crashed and i'd sent her off for repair under warranty and the best they could do was to restore to factory default so i'm left to do all the head work and hopefully, when i've been able to restore my computer using my discs and backup, i will then be able to upgrade her to v8!

i have retained i hope help desk rights from the place of purchase who did all the installation work so when i'm ready for it, i'll be making the call.

i hope this reply finds you well :)

oh how i do detest spelling errors...

Edited by BellaBoo

• 1 month later...