Can ESET Smart Security Premium Advanced Threat Protection Access BIOS?

4 minutes ago, itman said:

Open Computer Scan section in Eset GUI. Select "Scan your computer." Cancel the scan after a few seconds. Select "Show log." Post a screen shot of the log.

However, these were in the initial scan that started spontaneously. Anyway, I guess it didn't happen again, I'll ask if it does.

Also, when I scan, many of my files cannot be opened, why can this be? @itman

Just now, itman said:

There are locked from access by the Win OS.

how so?

By the way, when I say it cannot be opened, ESET gives a warning that it cannot be opened, I know that the files are opened normally.

5 minutes ago, just said:

By the way, when I say it cannot be opened, ESET gives a warning that it cannot be opened, I know that the files are opened normally.

I stated the files could not be accessed by Eset. Refer to below screen shot. I am also done with answering your questions.

Eset_Scan.png.dc2b5f445fdc69940acb0552d927d0f9.png

3 minutes ago, itman said:

I stated the files could not be accessed by Eset. Refer to below screen shot. I am also done with answering your questions.

Eset_Scan.png.dc2b5f445fdc69940acb0552d927d0f9.png

Well thanks, have a nice day.

Just asking for final confirmation. ESET's ADVANCED THREAT PROTECTION can access and detect threats in all locations, BIOS and UEFI in this space, including MBR, right? @itman

17 minutes ago, just said:

Just asking for final confirmation. ESET's ADVANCED THREAT PROTECTION can access and detect threats in all locations, BIOS and UEFI in this space, including MBR, right?

Yes it can. This question has been answered multiple times in this thread. So please don't ask it again. Keep using ESET, browser the web safely, and you'll stay protected.

This thread can be closed now, I think @Marcos

Edited by SeriousHoax

1 minute ago, SeriousHoax said:

Yes it can. This question has been answered multiple times in this thread. So please don't ask it again. Keep using ESET, browser the web safely, and you'll stay protected.

This thread can be closed now, I think.

Ok thanks. Marcos said UEFI can access plursa and Aryeh said both can access it, so I asked because I was confused. Thank you

When I look now, I see that Marcos and other people say that some of them cannot access these places, while others say they can if they have UEFI. Can you please tell me what is the truth and truth of this? I know I've asked a lot, but it really me off that I'm infected with a virus and can't do anything about it. 

@itman @SeriousHoax @Aryeh Goretsky

• Marcos locked this topic
  • ESET Moderators

[Although my colleague @Marcos has locked the thread, I am unlocking to just add this reply because I didn't see the reply notifications.  Then locking back up.  ^AG]

Hello,

I just saw and read through the new posts since my last reply, and having read through everything at once I wanted to clarify something I observed.

It seems the terms "scanning," "accessing," and "detecting threats" were being used by multiple forum members, all of whom are from different parts of the world and may all speak English a little differently from each other.

From ESET's point of view, if you can access something , it can be scanned.  If something can be scanned, then ESET's software will detect threats in it.  Some people may view this as a chain of separate steps, but other people may view these terms as all meaning the same thing (access = scan = threat detection).

I think it is because there was some confusion in how the English language was being used by different forum members that this thread seemed to be going in circles:  Some people thought they were asking separate questions, other people thought they were asking the same question.

So, in helping draw this to a close, I will note (as I did earlier) that ESET's software is able to access, scan and detect threats in Master Boot Records (both legacy MBR and GPT-partitioned), boot records ("classic" boot sectors like you see on floppies and modern Volume Boot Records), and firmware (both the classic BIOS and modern UEFI types). 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky