ESET Management Agent automatic upgrade

mikechan

In Eset Protect cloud, only see the policy of automatic update of ESET security products. I cannot find any policy of automatic update of ESET Management Agent.

need to update Management Agent manually?

20 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Automatic agent updates are enabled by default. Can be disabled via an agent policy:

image.png

Does the 30 days delayed update window apply to the agent too as it does for the endpoint products?

• Administrators

No, automatic agent update is released together with ESET PROTECT. However, it won't be run until ESET PROTECT server is updated to the latest version.

• Administrators

There should be no delay as I wrote. The only delay in case of ESET PROTECT Cloud can be caused by the delay between a new version of EP Cloud becomes available and the time when your instance is automatically updated.

Same issue here, but we are on ESET OnPrem.

Updated to ESET Protect 10 and checked if the automatic updates are enabled. They were enabled since we started with ESET, yet I never saw an automatic update of an agent.

image.png.27f11ef310d9c5deb8068682435a8fe3.png

Is there any way to check on the endpoint if that setting was applied? Normally it should be applied, since we only have one policy for the agent. I also didn't find anything in the %programdata% path for the agent.

• Administrators

We are checking it out. The agent auto-upgrade is probably being throttled so it will take some time until it automatically updates for everybody.

• Administrators

Since automatic agent upgrade is throttled also by the agent itself, it may take up to 1 month for all agents in a network to upgrade to the latest version automatically. Manual upgrade via a component upgrade task works instantly.

How many computers with ESET do you have? None has updated the agent yet? You could wait a few more days and then provide us with an update, or send a component upgrade task to get the agent updated immediately.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Since automatic agent upgrade is throttled also by the agent itself, it may take up to 1 month for all agents in a network to upgrade to the latest version automatically. Manual upgrade via a component upgrade task works instantly.

How many computers with ESET do you have? None has updated the agent yet? You could wait a few more days and then provide us with an update, or send a component upgrade task to get the agent updated immediately.

I have 84 computers. I have update with task my servers et my computer. For others computers, I’m waiting update automatic.

Same issue (onPrem)...

Updated to "ESET Protect 10" 7 days ago.

Updated Management Agent on two devices manually; all other 120 clients are "waiting" since then without progress.

Any further ideas?

Thank you!

• Administrators

It may take up to 1 month for agent on all endpoints to upgrade to the latest version automatically. It throttles auto-update internally and delays it randomly even by 1-2 weeks so that not all upgrade at the very same time.

Ok thx for your swift response... I assumed that at least some of the 120 clients should have updated itself in the meantime. So I will wait.

But I think there is room for improvement regarding the auto-update feature... ;)

Marcos said : it may take up to 1 month for agent on all endpoints to upgrade to the latest version automatically.

if one of endpoint did not turn on the machine long time (said 6 months), all other endpoint cannot upgrade the agent automatically?

33 minutes ago, mikechan said:

Marcos said : it may take up to 1 month for agent on all endpoints to upgrade to the latest version automatically.

if one of endpoint did not turn on the machine long time (said 6 months), all other endpoint cannot upgrade the agent automatically?

No, that would be a stupid mechanism.

I guess it's the same as with the endpoint products, after one month they are automatically updated to the latest version. You can update in manually before to see if there are some problems. Pushing out the update automatically right after it releases to every customer might cause some problems. With that, customers can push the updates manually and test it and let it update automatically after one month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

In case of ESET PROTECT (on-premise) there is a difference in a way how upgrades of ESET Management Agent do work:

• ESET Management Agent is not updated to latest version, but rather to "latest compatible" version. This means, that if ESET PROTECT has version 9.1, ESET Management Agents will be updated automatically only to version 9.1 and not version 10.0 (until ESET decides that there is no compatibility issue).
  • In case of on-premise ESET PROTECT, mentioned ~1 month countdown starts in a moment when ESET Management Agent detects that ESET PROTECT has been upgraded, and thus latest compatible version has changed. So in case AGENT is not connecting to console for a long time, it won't be able to detect this change and thus it won't upgrade. It would upgrade only to hotfix or service release of AGENT, which does not happen very often.

In case of cloud console:

• ~1 month countdown starts in a moment when specific AGENT detects new version in the ESET repository. This means, that in case AGENT is offline (no access to ESET repository) for some time, it's own countdown will start later.

Also note that we have slightly changed algorithms for the future updates. Scheduling will be more "randomized" in a way that initial ~2 weeks delay was significantly shortened = instead of waiting for first updates for ~2 weeks, it should start sooner and thus progress should be visible from the first days.