Initial scan is taking too much time

User2345

Hi,

I am currently evaluating ESET NOD32 Antivirus. I am testing on a high end workstation with 32 cores CPU, 128G RAM, latest PCI Gen4 NVMEs (doing 7000MB/s):

image.png

That's a very long time.

I wouldn't bother that much if system would be utilized during that scan by the engine but it wasn't:

image.png

My expectation: Scan should use 100% system resources to finish the scan ASAP.

If it is designed to run in background, it should have detected that system was idling and scale up after 5-10 minutes like any other background job would do.

• Administrators

The scan time depends on several factors, especially on how many files you have and how many big archives you have on the disk. Subsequent scans are faster since trusted files are not scanned again.

You could try cancelling the initial scan and running a custom scan of the drive with archive and SFX archives disabled and see how much faster the scan completes.

Well, I have a test folder with 347.322 JPEG files (~18GB). Takes ages to scan that folder. Like said, I wouldn't bother if my system would be utilized during that scan but it is idling the whole time. So for me it looks like the engine is the bottleneck.

• Administrators

Could you please generate a Procmon log from such scan? The folder with jpeg files should be scanned in less than 5 seconds I'd say unless it's a different type of files with the jpg exension.